Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Schoolboy Arrested for Making a Clock

Leonardo

In order to "go boom", there would have to actually be explosive.

My point exactly ~

I have to wonder what the kid was thinking, and suspect he may have been tweaking some noses ("Hey, I'm a Muslim and look what I got here") but the official reaction was nothing less than both absurd and excessive and wears hallmarks of racism that are hard to miss. They knew it was no bomb long before the handcuffs went on. (And it may be that the kid was innocent of any bad intent and his story is to be taken at face value).

The kid probably doesn't know yet what means being a Muslim in America in these, the most trying of times ~

~ edit : double post bypass

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

Just curious ... what difference is there with a count down timer and without a count down timer ? If its a bomb does it have to count down or else it will not go boom ?

~

No, it just has to give an electric impulse at the desired time, whether it counts down or up is quite irrelevant. Technically it is easier to make a timer that detonates at 0 instead of an arbitrary number, all you need then to pass the impulse is a NOT array (that is, it opens when all inputs are 0). An arbitrary number comparator is slightly more difficult.

• Like 1

No, it just has to give an electric impulse at the desired time, whether it counts down or up is quite irrelevant. Technically it is easier to make a timer that detonates at 0 instead of an arbitrary number, all you need then to pass the impulse is a NOT array (that is, it opens when all inputs are 0). An arbitrary number comparator is slightly more difficult.

All technicalities aside , I don't believe the the boom is so reliant on the counter counting backwards or forwards ~ if it can make an alarm at a designated time then by all aspects of circuitry reasoning the alarm can be replaced by a boom instead of bells ringing ~ that's how I think I understand or don't as the case may be of the tails of the ends and tales here ~

~

Given the information we have now, the family should be brought in and questioned and Ahmed should be brought in front of a judge.

What information is that?

You mean the rumours that various right-wingers have circulated around the internet, largely to point out how "weak" Obama is?

• Like 4

That's old, and discredited, news. The claim he "invented a clock from scratch" was itself invented by the online community - Ahmed himself made no such claim stating only he had "built a clock", which he did in the same way I built my PC from components I ordered off the internet.

People trying to villify Ahmed have taken his common language phrase and reworked it into meaning something else.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

This downward spiral nonsense is ridiculous. The people who argue that Ahmed should have received a suspension for bringing his clock to school use the exact same arguments to justify his arrest. That doesn't twig them onto a certain imbalance in judgement there? A certain lack of proportionality?

And now:

Given the information we have now, the family should be brought in and questioned and Ahmed should be brought in front of a judge.

What next? A witch hunt to purge any possible confederates from Ahmed's middle school robotics club? Junior grade McCarthy hearings?

Just what kind of mindset does it take to look at a 14-year old science nerd with a clock and think: "This kid is obviously pretending to be a terrorist. Have his family taken if for questioning. Have the boy arrested, charged, and in front of a judge."

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 4

A video on youtube, with no explanation at all, is always a persuasive argument.
  • Like 2

This downward spiral nonsense is ridiculous. The people who argue that Ahmed should have received a suspension for bringing his clock to school use the exact same arguments to justify his arrest. That doesn't twig them onto a certain imbalance in judgement there? A certain lack of proportionality?

And now:

What next? A witch hunt to purge any possible confederates from Ahmed's middle school robotics club? Junior grade McCarthy hearings?

Just what kind of mindset does it take to look at a 14-year old science nerd with a clock and think: "This kid is obviously pretending to be a terrorist. Have his family taken if for questioning. Have the boy arrested, charged, and in front of a judge."

And how far from that last statement to, "Round up the usual suspects!"? Because Louie, in that case, it's not the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't that kid have an older sister? I feel bad for her now even though she's called in fake bomb threats in the past...

• Like 1