Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Spends 6 Months Making One Sandwich

Still Waters

For most of us, the hardest part about making a sandwich involves hunting for mustard and pickles in the back of the fridge, but not Andy George.

George, host of the TV and YouTube show How to Make Everything, took the task of sandwich-making a little more literally.

George spent six months and $1,500 making a single chicken sandwich, showing the Internet just how much we take for granted.

https://uk.news.yaho...king-143556997/

• Like 1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freetoroam

• OverSword

• Calibeliever

• Rlyeh

Reminds me of that one restaurant that charges $1000 for a small/medium-sized pizza because it uses "premium"(expensive to harvest) ingredients. Food is great and all, but the novelty isn't worth that much and I doubt it will taste much better than a normal high quality food item.

I know I make homemade bread loaves out of flour, salt, sugar and yeast that are cheaper than store bought, and they are far superior than store bought bread for sandwiches of all varieties as well.

Good thing he wasn't starving.

• Like 1

well this was a pretty big challenge he set himself....a sandwich wfs!! how does he think people lived in the past when there were no supermarkets? certainly not like this, I would like to know who taught him about history and how people fed themselves. if there was no salt, they would not have missed it. And growing vegetables was once the norm, its not rocket science and certainly not that difficult.

$1,500.... for one sandwich! I wonder what his ancestors would say about that?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

well this was a pretty big challenge he set himself....a sandwich wfs!! how does he think people lived in the past when there were no supermarkets? certainly not like this, I would like to know who taught him about history and how people fed themselves. if there was no salt, they would not have missed it. And growing vegetables was once the norm, its not rocket science and certainly not that difficult.

I was thinking along these same lines myself! :)

• Like 1

I think the point was to learn the different skill sets it takes to produce the sandwich. I bet it was worth the money.
  • Like 1

This is stupid. There's industries that produce sandwich ingredients in much more efficient fashion. What would humans do if there wasn't? They'd not eat sandwiches.

What's next, homemade tires to show how much harder it is when there isn't entire industries dedicated to providing them?

This is not newsworthy or even thread-worthy, imo. Who cares if some guy wants to take the long route. The fact that anyone would think there's an important point being made here is ridiculous.

I hope he was not doing it for youtube views. A dude making a sandwich is not really clickbait.

Edited by Razer

I think the point was to learn the different skill sets it takes to produce the sandwich. I bet it was worth the money.

There are far more economical ways of making a sandwich. This is one skill set which would not be used. you would not go through all this for one sandwich, that's a complete waste of resources, if anything, this is an ideal way of showing how not to make your own sandwich.

People would make the best use of what they had, travelling on a plane to smuggle through salt would not even be on their mind. Breeding a chicken and then killing it for a sandwich!!!....never. The chickens eggs are far better and eventually a roast.

Yep, this man definitely took this all a bit too literal, to a degree of ridiculousness.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

I certainly hope he was able to make more than just one sandwich after all of his efforts! LOL :) I grow food and make a lot of things from scratch myself and I love to teach the kids how to make butter, bread, cheese, stock, soups, etc from scratch so they can appreciate what they are eating and be more aware of where their food comes from. It's a lot of effort sometimes (and not always cheaper than buying it from the store because of the economy of scale) but they're valuable skills to have imho.

I applaud this young man and I think it's a fun project. If you really believe he did all this "for a sandwich" as the headline suggests, then you're perhaps a wee bit gullible.

• Like 4

I applaud this young man and I think it's a fun project. If you really believe he did all this "for a sandwich" as the headline suggests, then you're perhaps a wee bit gullible.

From this bit of info,

"George spent six months and $1,500 making a single chicken sandwich"

it seems I may not be so gullible, I wish I were, but it appears this man does not need applauding, he needs educating and being taught how not to waste resources.

From this bit of info,

it seems I may not be so gullible, I wish I were, but it appears this man does not need applauding, he needs educating and being taught how not to waste resources.

The $1500 he spent generated a great deal more food than a single sandwich. What resources did he waste in your opinion?

Hence my statement about some folks just reading and reacting the headline and not investigating further like a good little Fox news-ites.

The headline was meant to be pithy and humorous to get attention to the project. Something that was clearly lost on a few.

• Like 2

The $1500 he spent generated a great deal more food than a single sandwich. What resources did he waste in your opinion?

Hence my statement about some folks just reading and reacting the headline and not investigating further like a good little Fox news-ites.

The headline was meant to be pithy and humorous to get attention to the project. Something that was clearly lost on a few.

George traveled to the Pacific Ocean, sailed out to sea, gathered water, brought it home, boiled it for six hours, baked it, and then narrowly sneaked the suspicious looking ziplock bag past airport security on his way home.

The plane fare itself must have cost some money. Not everyone would class this as resourceful.

How many homes does this man own...."gathered water, brought it home" and then...........

etc etc etc on his way home......???

Edited by freetoroam

George traveled to the Pacific Ocean, sailed out to sea, gathered water, brought it home, boiled it for six hours, baked it, and then narrowly sneaked the suspicious looking ziplock bag past airport security on his way home.

The plane fare itself must have cost some money. Not everyone would class this as resourceful.

How many homes does this man own...."gathered water, brought it home" and then...........

etc etc etc on his way home......???

Jeez, you seem really wound up about this. You never had a hobby? So he spent some money learning how to make bread, cheese, salt, grow veggies, etc. Seems a lot less frivolous than the activities of some.But my original points stands. It wasn't all "for a sandwich". Did you watch the video?

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 4

His show, "How to make everything" looks like it might be interesting. I wonder if it's going to be on regular TV.

• Like 1

From this bit of info,

Oh come on FTR, do you really think this guy doesn't know how to go to the shops and buy the ingredients? I think it was a fun project where he discovered a few new skills, insights and knowledge.
  • Like 2

Jeez, you seem really wound up about this. You never had a hobby? So he spent some money learning how to make bread, cheese, salt, grow veggies, etc. Seems a lot less frivolous than the activities of some.But my original points stands. It wasn't all "for a sandwich". Did you watch the video?

No, I did not watch the video, I only read the article. My husband has banned me from watching videos at the moment, we are on a dongle and watching youtube eats up our broadband. Not all of us have expensive "hobbies". We also live quite an economical lifestyle, we grow what we can, but one of our "hobbies" is going into the local woods and gathering kindling and wood.....but trust me, if I could sail (and we live on a boat) out into the Pacific and get our own salt, it would be very exciting, BUT also very costly.

As an interest, nothing wrong with what he is doing, but it is not a lifestyle anyone has undertaken as a way of living......just saying.

Oh come on FTR, do you really think this guy doesn't know how to go to the shops and buy the ingredients? I think it was a fun project where he discovered a few new skills, insights and knowledge.

Yes it is fun if you have the time and the money.....do you want to sponsor me O/S, I can travel the rivers and come up with some insights..

As for knowledge and skills, here is how it was really done:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w15jc

• Like 1

I don't think this was an exercise in efficiency, it was an exercise in possibilty and modern requirements. Yeah, you could get a good chicken sandwich for $5. If you're going to see how something works, the best place to start is the beginning. And I also don't think it was wasteful, except for his own money--it doesn't say if he had a surplus of wheat or whatever, but it sounds like he generated exactly what he used. If this guy wants to toss money around, and it's not hurting anyone, why not?

No, I did not watch the video, I only read the article. My husband has banned me from watching videos at the moment, we are on a dongle and watching youtube eats up our broadband. Not all of us have expensive "hobbies". We also live quite an economical lifestyle, we grow what we can, but one of our "hobbies" is going into the local woods and gathering kindling and wood.....but trust me, if I could sail (and we live on a boat) out into the Pacific and get our own salt, it would be very exciting, BUT also very costly.

As an interest, nothing wrong with what he is doing, but it is not a lifestyle anyone has undertaken as a way of living......just saying.

Yes it is fun if you have the time and the money.....do you want to sponsor me O/S, I can travel the rivers and come up with some insights..

As for knowledge and skills, here is how it was really done:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b00w15jc

If I have any spare money it's all yours luv.
  • Like 1

Veggie garden, salt storage, chickens and salmons or other fish... and traps or crossbow to hunt game... hmmm...

Just add solar panel, internet & a patch of land that's your own... and maybe people you can see and talk to. What else you need in life?

Perhaps the makings of this six month sandwich best describe how we as humans are a diverse yet highly interconnected species rather dependent upon each other to collectively make our lives richer.

Well with over 1.8 million views on YouTube and counting, I'm sure he has made quite a profit from that sandwich. ;)