Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will we ever be able to live without sleep ?

UM-Bot

Transhumanists have been looking towards a future in which a person could spend their entire life awake.

There's no denying that sleeping takes up rather a lot of our time. If the average person lives for somewhere around 80 years then they will have spent 25 of that asleep in their bed.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...e-without-sleep

Why would we want to?... Sleep not only recharges and refreshes the body, but also the brain... Besides, most people get bored easily enough now, when they

spend 33% of their "day" sleeping... Imagine how bored they'd be if they had to find something to do for 100% of their day...

• Like 8

Why would we want to?... Sleep not only recharges and refreshes the body, but also the brain... Besides, most people get bored easily enough now, when they

spend 33% of their "day" sleeping... Imagine how bored they'd be if they had to find something to do for 100% of their day...

I agree most people would be bored. Me personally I would love having 100% of my day

• Like 2

I can't imagine not sleeping. That delightful feeling of being completely rested/refreshed. I love the cosy warmth of my bed and stretching like a cat when I wake, I also love the dreams. Not sleeping would feel like a curse to me not a benefit.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3

There is nothing like sweet, sweet slumber - if I do not get mine - then your BEST to stay out of my way :tu:

• Like 3

So when you get sick or really tired, you'd just lay in a bed, eyes closed, can't sleep and thinking about useless thing to kill time? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Edited by FlyingAngel
  • Like 1

I can think of lots of reasons for not wanting to sleep. It is honestly something we evolved to keep us out of danger at night when we have no business being about. Now we have no such need, but still spend all that time we could be living and doing things in bed.

Yes there are pleasures involved, but they are trivial compared to the pleasures of life.

All creatures sleep, even the ones in zoos who have no need to be fearful.

Seriously, is humanity really that incapable or unwilling to accept basic biology? Is it that difficult to comprehend that the body and brain needs that sleep for regenerative purposes? Has nothing to do with keeping us in at night where we have "no business being".

Of course by eliminating sleep then corporations can keep us working all day and all night, increases profits don'cha know?

• Like 1

No dreams? No rest? I don't think so. Just another way for progress to try and make us work harder and give up more of our humanity. Think about the consequences. Mr. Joe dosnt need to sleep. He can work an extra 10 hours a day. To compete with Mr. Joe, we must all now give up sleep or all the Mr. Joes will dominate the workforce and the sleepers will be looked at as lazy and unproductive. God I hope Aldous Huxley's vision does not come to pass.

• Like 3

I can think of lots of reasons for not wanting to sleep. It is honestly something we evolved to keep us out of danger at night when we have no business being about. Now we have no such need, but still spend all that time we could be living and doing things in bed.

Yes there are pleasures involved, but they are trivial compared to the pleasures of life.

Actaully frank, there are plenty of nocturnal creatures. Our sleep cycles probably evolved simply for the need to rest. Even mechanical machine cannot operate indefinitely without stopping for repairs. In animals there are simply to many moveing parts. Things always must shut down for a while to undergo rebuilding. Sleep itself is a terrible evolutionary trait just a necessary one. It would be much more productive for the species to be awake at nite watching for preditors or bad guys. Being completely incompacitated for one third of the time is horrible for survival, but probably necessary for the simple fact that you probably cannot scare over a damged moveing ligament.

Last year I had a wound on my knee. Just a bad scrape. It scabbed over, but because I have a highly active job the scab kept getting repeatedly tore off. It went on like this all summer. The thing was never going to heal. My doctor and I tried all sorts of bandages to help protect it, but because it was right on the moveing part of my knee nothing ever seemed to work. It was another doctor. A client actually that takes her kids to me three times per week and had been sitting in the bleachers watching me mess with the thing all summer long finally spoke up. She said that I would have to take no less than two weeks off. If I did nor let scar tissue get started, I was going to end up with a bad infection. She actually insisted on it. She knew I would prtotest, but nothing was working and she had watched the whole thing. It had to be done. She was right. I had to stop teaching for two weeks and let the dam thing start to scar over.

Edited by White Crane Feather

No dreams? No rest? I don't think so. Just another way for progress to try and make us work harder and give up more of our humanity. Think about the consequences. Mr. Joe dosnt need to sleep. He can work an extra 10 hours a day. To compete with Mr. Joe, we must all now give up sleep or all the Mr. Joes will dominate the workforce and the sleepers will be looked at as lazy and unproductive. God I hope Aldous Huxley's vision does not come to pass.

I agree with you. I was more of just thinking of like a make believe work where you didn't need sleep how that would be

• Like 2

I agree with you. I was more of just thinking of like a make believe work where you didn't need sleep how that would be

Spartan. You are familure with part of my dream life. You know that I go through boughts where I live endless dreams all night. Dreams that span preceived months. They are in my blogs if anyone wants to look. Look at my reaction to them. Continuous conciousnes is psycologicaly draining. I may be the only person you will meet that has experienced something close to it. Infact I have developed tools to force my preceptions not to happen, and I became an alcoholic early on to shut them off ( sobber for quite a number of years thank you) yes a constant hangover is better than never resting your mind. Not even considering the biological factors that science may Indeed someday be able to mitigate, the psycological impact would be horendous, and if they can mitigate that, then I'm not sure we can even call ourselves human anymore.

Sleep is like sex. It's only important if you are not getting any.

• Like 3

Whats the point of staying up at night??? it's dark and scary, also there is not alot of things to do at night

We are evolved to sleep, and the rather extensive research on sleep deprivation shows both physical and psychological degradation eventually leading to dementia and death. Consider such issues as an increase in diabetes, obesity, as well as cognitive degradation equivalent to legal intoxication when sleep deprived for less than 24 hours. Forget waterboarding, sleep deprivation is far more effective for "eliciting cooperation." The body likes consistency and even shift-work is disruptive. So, do we really want to violate an eon of evolution.

• Like 2

Sleep is the psychological regeneration process and an opportunity to explore your inner world. I don't think it's so easy to convince people to reject sleep even if they had better things to do and if you could do it without health complications, though then many might jump the wagon.

• Like 2

I would agree with Mikko-kun and others.

This is not as simple as it may first appear, and DARPA is fully aware of this.

If I recall correctly, mammalian hearts, for example, MUST periodically go into a functional state of rest (though still beating) in order to regenerate certain very critical heart cells. Mitigating this improperly can cause irreversible, potentially lethal damage.

"Improperly" because, truly, our sleep efficiency sucks, so there is much room for improvement, but "sleep" is still required... just not nearly as much. Messing with this aspect without clear knowledge seems very dangerous if done repeatedly.

And I wonder how many other human organs and processes are dependent on this state for optimal wake-functioning. I don't know, but I suspect that it is more than just the heart.

• Like 1

Will we ever able to live...full stop

This is not life....

We spend too long infused in a digital world.

We txt rather than talk.

Half the world starves while the other half get fat and gluttonous.

We consume but do not provide.

We are all strangers.

We are slaves to the machine, working for silver to swap for food

Work till we are too old to remember what it was like to be carefree

Then we die,

Will we ever be able to live

Do, to pull out one example, starfish sleep? A group of my friends (not me, I try to get all the sleep I can) seriously tried to go without sleep for as long as they could. By Day 3, they were incoherent from caffeine and brain fog. I don't think that any medicine/treatment/hypnosis/anything else is going to do any better.

Sleep is great, get in touch with your subconscious mind via your dreams. Those thoughts are often wiser than the waking mind.

Hahahah yes. I have come to realize that the dream life is more logical, predictable, and understandable than the physical one. Just last night I gave my dream hands permission to fight me. I was boared. So I bounced in and out of sleep paralysis wrestling with my own preceptions of hands grabbing and holding me and me working jujitsu techniques to get out of them. Hahahh weird I know, but if you knew me it wouldn't be so weird.

• Like 1

All creatures sleep, even the ones in zoos who have no need to be fearful.

Seriously, is humanity really that incapable or unwilling to accept basic biology? Is it that difficult to comprehend that the body and brain needs that sleep for regenerative purposes? Has nothing to do with keeping us in at night where we have "no business being".

Of course by eliminating sleep then corporations can keep us working all day and all night, increases profits don'cha know?

Yeah, it's all about money. Time is money. Don'cha know?

Seriously, I don't want to work 18h/day. In the end, we wouldn't have more free time like people is thinking.

• Like 1

I don't see why anyone would want to go without sleep. It's refreshing, you can have cool dreams. But most importantly (for me at least) it's a relaxing escape from the stress and business of everyday life..a daily vacation.

• Like 4