Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ben Carson - Big Bang and Evolution

StarMountainKid

In 2012 Ben Carson said the Big Bang was a fairy tale and the theory of evolution encouraged by the Devil. Do we want this guy to be President of the United States? I find some of these Republican candidates religious beliefs disturbing to say the least.

I think we're on the brink of a new age of enlightenment, let's not fall backwards off the cliff.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-big-bang-a-fairy-tale-theory-of-evolution-encoura#.xd6x9mOko

• Like 3

Not to worry, Carson won't get far. He was second in the polls, now he's already dropped to third behind Mr. T and Carly.

What's worrying is not that a presidential candidate (or more than one) believes that, it's that a large portion of the American people believe that way. That's the scary part.

• Like 6

People don't like Carson cuz he's black.

• Like 6

He's running far ahead of other candidates in the polls (who aren't black, by the way).

He's running far ahead of other candidates in the polls (who aren't black, by the way).

I'm tickled to see it.

In 2012 Ben Carson said the Big Bang was a fairy tale and the theory of evolution encouraged by the Devil. Do we want this guy to be President of the United States? I find some of these Republican candidates religious beliefs disturbing to say the least.

I think we're on the brink of a new age of enlightenment, let's not fall backwards off the cliff.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/ben-carson-big-bang-a-fairy-tale-theory-of-evolution-encoura#.xd6x9mOko

Sounds like a perfect Republican candidate then.

• Like 6

The problem is not that there might be somebody who managed to get through medical school not having learned much, the problem is when most of the populace believe what he says. Not so long ago there was a study that showed that a significant portion of Americans do not believe in science there where it "contradicts" the bible... in a follow up done by the Washington Post it correlates more or less to the same group believing that Obama is a Muslim and/or a foreigner.

• Like 1

The problem is not that there might be somebody who managed to get through medical school not having learned much, the problem is when most of the populace believe what he says. Not so long ago there was a study that showed that a significant portion of Americans do not believe in science there where it "contradicts" the bible... in a follow up done by the Washington Post it correlates more or less to the same group believing that Obama is a Muslim and/or a foreigner.

No big surprise there.

Sometimes I think Americans are a sub-class of intelligent humans.

Sometimes I think Americans are a sub-class of intelligent humans.

Well,no. Americans are not much less nor much more intelligent than average inhabitants of the world, most just suffer under "Lead country chauvinism"... that gives them the appearance of being slightly dumber though.

• Like 2

Hollywood has given the public a false impression it [the public] is smarter than it really is, when actually it only shows us that people can follow a script - which should be reasonably familiar and comfortable to the religious anyway.

Edited by Leonardo

I'll repeat what I said on the Americas board, Carson thread: yesterday in a press conference, Carson said he would not support anyone for POTUS who put his/her Christian beliefs above the Constitution. Given that, Carson's religious views should not be an issue, since I assume from that he understands the USA is not a theocracy.

• Like 1

I'll repeat what I said on the Americas board, Carson thread: yesterday in a press conference, Carson said he would not support anyone for POTUS who put his/her Christian beliefs above the Constitution. Given that, Carson's religious views should not be an issue, since I assume from that he understands the USA is not a theocracy.

Yes, but I wonder if such a prezz would be very inclined to sign a bill to support Biological research... because most of our biology can be thrown out of the window without evolution and instead prefer a bill furthering the study of pre-Christian influence in the Aramean language (which leads us to a bunch of paper that might be nice to have but pretty useless to advance science).

We have been loosing our scientific edge piece by piece and the last thing we need is somebody who has to sign the bills hampering efforts to catch up again.

• Like 1

His religious views in and of themselves are not the problem.

His views on science informed by his religious views are.

• Like 6

I see what you did there haha

I dont see anyone running on either side that would be the best for the American people...

Hell elect me and i can sit around cracking open bags of fortune cookies and reading from them and provide better leadership for this country than what we have had the last 20 years!

• Like 2

I dont see anyone running on either side that would be the best for the American people...

Hell elect me and i can sit around cracking open bags of fortune cookies and reading from them and provide better leadership for this country than what we have had the last 20 years!

shortsighted, very shortsighted, the Mantra is: "Washington is broken. Send me there and I will make sure it stays this way."

I agree. I just read a little about his big bang thoughts, and he is completely clueless about science. Surprising, given his profession.

Then again, maybe Scrubs was right about surgeons.

[Responding to ShadowSot's post #16]

Edited by Leo Krupe
  • Like 1

Well, they can't come right out and say they don't like him cuz he's black. They have to discredit him in other ways and will find any other excuse besides the truth that we all know. :innocent:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

http://www.buzzfeed....oura#.xd6x9mOko

You can look at the middle east and africa and think we're on the bring of enlightenment?

You can look at the middle east and africa and think we're on the bring of enlightenment?

I suppose I'm overly optimistic in my statement. But I do think in the U.S. advances have been made in social acceptance of minorities recently. I think this is an important step in the right direction, that's what was on my mind when I wrote that. Then again, Former President Jimmy Carter said recently that the U.S. is no longer a democracy, it's become an oligarchy.

Religion and politics are a dangerous combination. As you say, look at the middle east. I fear creationist politicians in this country. As for sub-Sahara Africa, we're not interested in that part of the world, there's no money to be made there.

I find it disappointing that Carson isn't into evolution (I consider the BB as part of evolution) but it is not a deal killer. What is scary is the current POTUS pushes that anthropomorphic climate change exists. That shows great ignorance and is an abuse of power.

• Like 1

most of our biology can be thrown out of the window without evolution

Totally disagree with this and you're trying to apply this statement to a neurosurgeon.

Religion and politics are a dangerous combination.

Try finding an atheist politician to vote for. I guess every president, in the history of the US, has been a disaster because of their religion.

Edit: please don't go back to the founding fathers for a rebuttal.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3