Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ben Carson - Big Bang and Evolution

StarMountainKid

Totally disagree with this and you're trying to apply this statement to a neurosurgeon.

you mean to tell me that a neurosurgeon needs to know nothing about biology?

Guest Br Cornelius

Well, they can't come right out and say they don't like him cuz he's black. They have to discredit him in other ways and will find any other excuse besides the truth that we all know. :innocent:

I don't like him because he's an idiot - and his public stance on evolution/big bang is the proof.

If he were someone like Neil deGrass Tyson I would love him above all other candidates.

See - your implication is BS.

Br Cornelius

His religious views in and of themselves are not the problem.

His views on science informed by his religious views are.

His religious views did not seem to interfere with his becoming a renowned world-class neurosurgeon.

I'm more concerned about what Obama's need to push Obamacare on this country has done and will do to the state of/quality of medical care in the US than I am about how Carson's personal religious views would impact any legislation on science. Our Founding Fathers set up three branches of government for a reason.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, what would be a sample piece of legislation that could be influenced by a president's religion and would have a deleterious effect on the general public?

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what would be a sample piece of legislation that could be influenced by a president's religion and would have a deleterious effect on the general public?

you mean like defunding government research grants such as these http://www.neh.gov/grants/research/collaborative-research-grants ?

Not to worry, Carson won't get far. He was second in the polls, now he's already dropped to third behind Mr. T and Carly.

What's worrying is not that a presidential candidate (or more than one) believes that, it's that a large portion of the American people believe that way. That's the scary part.

A poll yesterday showed he was the leading candidate to beat Hillary. Just caught a snippet, so I can't cite source or exact numbers, but it was something like 52-30something. Rubio was next, then Trump.

I don't like him because he's an idiot - and his public stance on evolution/big bang is the proof.

If he were someone like Neil deGrass Tyson I would love him above all other candidates.

Br Cornelius

Ben Carson is an idiot? Really. Wow. Just imagine the first person to successfully separate twins conjoined at the head is really an idiot. A director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins is an idiot. A man who has been awarded 38 honorary doctorate degrees and dozens of national merit citations is an idiot.

I think there is a much better chance that the person that claimed Doctor Carson is an idiot is the real idiot.

• Like 5

you mean like defunding government research grants such as these http://www.neh.gov/g...research-grants ?

I fail to see the connection. Can you be more specific? Which president defunded a grant because of his religious belief, and how would the grant have benefited the public? Or if you are simply speculating, which grant could be defunded, based on a president's religious belief, and how would its defunding affect the public in a negative way?

• Like 1

I fail to see the connection. Can you be more specific? Which president defunded a grant because of his religious belief, and how would the grant have benefited the public? Or if you are simply speculating, which grant could be defunded, based on a president's religious belief, and how would its defunding affect the public in a negative way?

Well, Congress is trying to defund Planned Parenthood based on religious believes, is that example enough?

Edited by questionmark

What bill number are you referring to, and who originated it - the President or a congressman? Congress is not the President. The subject here is the viability of a presidential candidate based on his religious beliefs.

Additionally, I assume you're trying to bring abortion into this. Funding for abortion is only going to affect pregnant women seeking abortions. That particular subgroup would likely be less than half of the population.

• Like 2

What bill number are you referring to, and who originated it - the President or a congressman? Congress is not the President. The subject here is the viability of a presidential candidate based on his religious beliefs.

Additionally, I assume you're trying to bring abortion into this. Funding for abortion is only going to affect pregnant women seeking abortions. That particular subgroup would likely be less than half of the population.

A politician is a politician, no matter if in Congress or White House. And if that politician already announces his opposition to science before he even got into office, what will we get once he is in?

And, yes, the Republicans are trying to defund Planned parenthood and are even threatening to close down the government again, surprising that as a politically interested person you have not heard of it. And no, I am not interested in an abortion debate as I call it hypocrisy as long as nobody goes after Fertility Clinics with the same fervor. They destroy just as much if not more embryos every year.

Edited by questionmark

A politician is a politician, no matter if in Congress or White House. And if that politician already announces his opposition to science before he even got into office, what will we get once he is in?

We will get the person we voted for.

Br Cornelius

Are we talking about the same man?

Carson was a professor of neurosurgery, oncology, plastic surgery, and pediatrics, and he was the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital.[15] At 33, he became the youngest major division director in the hospital's history as director of pediatric neurosurgery. He was also a co-director of the Johns Hopkins Craniofacial Center.

Carson specialized in traumatic brain injuries, brain and spinal cord tumors, achondroplasia, neurological and congenital disorders, craniosynostosis, epilepsy, and trigeminal neuralgia.[15]

Carson believes his hand–eye coordination and three-dimensional reasoning made him a gifted surgeon.[16] After medical school, he became a neurosurgery resident at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He began his career as a neurosurgeon, but also developed an interest in pediatrics.[16]

In 1987, Carson successfully separated conjoined twins, the Binder twins, who had been joined at the back of the head (craniopagus twins). The 70-member surgical team, led by Carson, worked for 22 hours. Both twins survived.[17][18][19]

Carson figured in the revival of the hemispherectomy, a drastic surgical procedure in which part or all of one hemisphere of the brain is removed to control severe pediatric epilepsy. He refined the procedure in the 1980s, encouraged by John M. Freeman,[20] and performed it many times.[21][22]

Carson has served on the boards of the Kellogg Company, Costco, and the Academy of Achievement.[23] He is an emeritus fellow of the Yale Corporation.[23][24][25]

In March 2013, Carson announced he would retire as a surgeon, stating "I'd much rather quit when I'm at the top of my game".[26] His retirement became official on July 1, 2013.[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Carson

Sounds like a real idiot to me. So you aren't bigoted towards blacks...just Christians? That sort of bigotry is totally acceptable these days.

• Like 3

Guest Br Cornelius

He's just another science denying Rub. from his website:

“Whether we are experiencing global warming or a coming ice age, which was predicted the 1970s, we as responsible human beings must be concerned about our surroundings and what we will pass on to future generations. However, to use climate change as an excuse not to develop our God-given resources makes little sense. Expanding our wealth of energy resources, as well as encouraging development of new renewable energy sources, can provide an enormous economic lift with obvious benefits. But it can also bolster our role as a formidable player in the struggle for world leadership.”

http://www.2016committee.org/issues

Br Cornelius

Now I understand. He hasn't made Global Warming his religion.

• Like 5

Guest Br Cornelius

Now I understand. He hasn't made Global Warming his religion.

No he has denied at least three pieces of crucial science in favour of hi9s ideology and his religion. The last thing America and the World needs is another religious fanatic as commander in chief.

Not even the Pope can keep up with that record.

It seems to be a basic requirement of been a Rub to be an enemy of science - which cannot be good for the nations future should any one of them get elected.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius

People don't like Carson cuz he's black.

Out of curiosity, since this seems to be your stance in this thread, which people don't like Dr. Carson simply because he's black?

Out of curiosity, since this seems to be your stance in this thread, which people don't like Dr. Carson simply because he's black?

I'm having a bit of fun with all of the people who have been saying this any time anyone disagrees with Obama. :tu:

• Like 4

Shes mocking the rhetoric under Obama that all criticism was racism.

While some of that is true, a lot of it was in response to the birther nonsense which is still popular in the GOP seeing as was mentioned in the last debate.

This is the same as stating holding anti-science views is someone we don't want as president.

Carson was a great neurosugeon, there shouldnt be any doubt there. But outside of that field he is about as well informed as the next person.

Frankly, I don't care what you believe as long as you also agree with modern science. The largest group of people who accept the evidence for evolution, the Big Bang, even AGW, are Christians.

Shes mocking the rhetoric under Obama that all criticism was racism.

While some of that is true, a lot of it was in response to the birther nonsense which is still popular in the GOP seeing as was mentioned in the last debate.

This is the same as stating holding anti-science views is someone we don't want as president.

Carson was a great neurosugeon, there shouldnt be any doubt there. But outside of that field he is about as well informed as the next person.

Frankly, I don't care what you believe as long as you also agree with modern science. The largest group of people who accept the evidence for evolution, the Big Bang, even AGW, are Christians.

Actually, Hillary was the main instigator for the birther movement. Who exactly brought it into the discussion during the debate?

• Like 2

Guest Br Cornelius

I'm having a bit of fun with all of the people who have been saying this any time anyone disagrees with Obama. :tu:

I have been discussing the racist Birther movement, what else are you referring to ?

I suspect your broad brush parody is a little to broad.

Br Cornelius

I don't think anyone here is saying Carson is an idiot as to say that he is simply stupid. Obviously, he's not. He's a very accomplished, highly intelligent man in his given line of work.

Let's not make a mess of this and intentionally misinterpret what folks are saying. Instead, they're saying he's a political idiot. From what I've seen so far, I'd have to agree. The man has little going for him from a political standpoint. Instead of focusing on his academic credentials and career accomplishments, what genuinely impresses you? What hard stances has he taken on any issue to tell you, yes, he deserves the nomination more than that other guy spouting the same rehearsed crap?

No charisma, no firm views. The guy sounds like he doesn't even want to be there.

Actually, Hillary was the main instigator for the birther movement. Who exactly brought it into the discussion during the debate?

Actually, the Clinton cpnnection is not true. Even if it was, it grew into a republican talking point. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/sep/23/donald-trump/hillary-clinton-obama-birther-fact-check/

I don't remember who, the debate was on in the background. I only moticed after it was discussed.

Actually, the Clinton cpnnection is not true. Even if it was, it grew into a republican talking point. http://www.politifac...her-fact-check/

I don't remember who, the debate was on in the background. I only moticed after it was discussed.

I was wondering because the only ones I hear talking about it any more are the people mocking Republicans.

• Like 1

In 2012 Ben Carson said the Big Bang was a fairy tale and the theory of evolution encouraged by the Devil. Do we want this guy to be President of the United States? I find some of these Republican candidates religious beliefs disturbing to say the least.

I think we're on the brink of a new age of enlightenment, let's not fall backwards off the cliff.

http://www.buzzfeed....oura#.xd6x9mOko

"God Bless America" said Barack Obama a hundred times. Must be the Big Bang God, hurrr

• Like 1