Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA teases major announcement about Mars

UM-Bot

The space agency is set to reveal "a major science finding from its ongoing exploration of Mars."

According to a press release posted to its website, NASA has managed to solve a long running mystery about Mars and will reveal its findings at a press conference on Monday at 11:30 a.m EST.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ment-about-mars

• Like 2

tell us now gawd damnit!!!!

• Like 2

They found Marvin? URL

Oh, they've done this so many times before, and it's always a disappointment. It was something about Compounds last time, wasn't it.

The expectation is always evidence of alien life, but the announcement is always some boring thing.

Boring for people who don't appreciate the significance of the announcements... :whistle:

• Like 5

Boring for people who don't appreciate the significance of the announcements... :whistle:

If you're interested in Compounds, perhaps..
  • Like 1

Perhaps we have become too jaded by the creative minds of science fiction writers and movie special effects. But, to put this in perspective, we have had six lunar landings since 1969, are riding a comet, have just flown by Pluto, and are physically roving the surface of Mars. This new discovery ... it's more grand science nonfiction in the making.

• Like 2

"We have a MAJOR announcement about Mars!"

"You've found evidence of alien life? You've found the perfect spot to build Neo Venezia? ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK???"

"No, silly! There's 0.0009% more Argon in the atmosphere than we thought!"

• Like 5

let me guess; they will announce they found clear evidence proving their initial assessment of past life on Mars. We all know it already it was so obvious , so lets all move up to Titan or Europa where actual life may exists right now. Lets abandon those silly rovers hiding pics of shells embedded in rocks and petrified animals ... like now and do something more exciting !

Edited by qxcontinuum

It WON'T be the discovery of life for a very simple reason, none of the spacecraft currently on, or in orbit around, Mars are capable of definitively detecting life.

My guess is that they found water.

This is probably closer to the mark. One of the experts who will be at the meeting is Lujendra Ojha, a PhD student. Having a student at such a meeting is extremely unusual but gives a clue as to what the announcement will be about. In 2011 Ojah discovered possible evidence that salty water still flowed on the surface of Mars.

This article gives more information on Ojah, his discovery and some "detective work" about what NASA will announce: What's Behind NASA's Upcoming Announcement About Mars. Of course this is all speculation and we will know for sure on Monday.

• Like 5

Yes, we are all on pins and needles wanting to here that they have found evidence of a past civilization, however it will actually be mundane at best and indeed nothing of the sort of information the majority of people would honestly care about.

I do hope I am wrong though. :alien:

It WON'T be the discovery of life for a very simple reason, none of the spacecraft currently on, or in orbit around, Mars are capable of definitively detecting life.

This is probably closer to the mark. One of the experts who will be at the meeting is Lujendra Ojha, a PhD student. Having a student at such a meeting is extremely unusual but gives a clue as to what the announcement will be about. In 2011 Ojah discovered possible evidence that salty water still flowed on the surface of Mars.

This article gives more information on Ojah, his discovery and some "detective work" about what NASA will announce: What's Behind NASA's Upcoming Announcement About Mars. Of course this is all speculation and we will know for sure on Monday.

Well, that would be worthwhile.

How about, if not life now, as near as they can get irrefutable evidence of past civilization?

yes, I doubt it too.

NASA are about to make a major announcement about Mars just at the time "The Martian" movie is being released!

I have no problems with that. If a movie can get people interested in science and exploration then that is a good thing.

$10 says it has to do with next generation solar panels and their applications to space exploration.

That or they finally did find a carving of Obama's head on Mars created by a long dead civilization that evidently understood the power that symbolism has to resonate with humanity millions of years ago.

I give both equal chances.

• Like 3

I guess that they have found what the source of the observed methane releases is (probably not correct but I wanted to make a guess anyway).

OMG! they found Scott Waring's dignity!

You can't find something that does not exist. :w00t:

I agree with the RSL announcement which will, hopefully, show the RSL's to be from flowing salty water but how do you explore such a site in the future? They are, by their very nature, located on steep slopes which would probably eat a rover as they are presently configured, and you'd have to make sure any craft you sent was perfectly sterile so as not to introduce earth-life to the area. I don't think they'd risk the 2020 rover, which is built on a Curiosity chassis, so we're looking at a whole new spacecraft to visit an RSL area.

Edited by Merc14

They found a Starbucks, and/or a McDonalds...

I reckon that Asda/Walmart has been awarded planning permission for the first supermarket on Mars

• Like 2