Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre howls spark Sasquatch hunt

Still Waters

A big, hairy mystery is unfolding in a remote community off the coast of northern Vancouver Island.

Alert Bay residents have been reporting strange screams and howls coming from a forest that surrounds the town - and some think they could be coming from a sasquatch.

Mackenzie Mountain said he recently recorded the unusual sounds on his cell phone at night on the backside of Cormorant Island.

http://vancouverisla...sland-1.2578210

• Like 1

Scary sounds....must be bigfeet. They can't possibly be bothered to use any sort of critical thinking first before leaping that that conclusion? Or any sort of research?

He’s (Art Dick) convinced the calls are from a sasquatch and claims to have encountered the legendary beast several years ago, on a remote island further south.

Yeah, I'm sure that happened.... :innocent:

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard
  • Like 3

They really didn't give much for samples of the call in the news story, just this guy talking about the call.

Maybe one of the X-Files episodes is being shot there.

• Like 1

A few days ago my friend was driving me and some others. We suddenly hear a human mans muffled screams of pain and terror while waiting at a light. Panic sets in, my friend locks the door and we are looking around wildly for the screaming man and possibly whoever is killing him.

Suddenly, my friend notices a goat in the field next to the car. It is staring directly at her. It opens its mouth and lets out an ungodly scream- everyone is stunned until we are all laughing uncontrollably.

I think this is probably the same kinda deal :tu:

• Like 5

Our tourism industry must be needing a boost again!

I have been camping and fishing on Cormorant island! Its Tiny! Ive been in bigger car parks! You can walk from one end to the other in 30 min!

• Like 1

Hammerclaw, we do not have moose here on our islands, so that's ruled out.

I can second that, there is very little wildlife on the island, no large predators or deer at all

Looking at Cormorant Island on Google Maps, it looks like it is only three miles long. And looking at Alert Bay on Wikipedia, it says 1500 people. That's a lot of people on such a small island.

I don't think bigfoot would like such crowded environs. Though there have been several sightings at the north end of Vancouver Island over the last couple years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Bay

Alert Bay is also home to the world's tallest totem pole.[citation needed]
  • Like 2

A few days ago my friend was driving me and some others. We suddenly hear a human mans muffled screams of pain and terror while waiting at a light. Panic sets in, my friend locks the door and we are looking around wildly for the screaming man and possibly whoever is killing him.

Suddenly, my friend notices a goat in the field next to the car. It is staring directly at her. It opens its mouth and lets out an ungodly scream- everyone is stunned until we are all laughing uncontrollably.

Goats are man-killers...

jqp6bn.jpg

• Like 3

I thought this story was about a mysterious sound? The speculative jump to a Sasquatch conclusion based on prior individual witnesses seeing a purported creature should lend little evidence to the noise actually being created by a Sasquatch. Correlation does not imply causation. A Sasquatch hunter will only find evidence of a "Sasquatch" and what the news reporters really need is someone actually objectively looking for the source of the noise. There is not much area on the island and I'm sure a small team of people could scour the area fairly quickly to locate potential sources of the noise. I find it doubtful that a Sasquatch, or breeding population of any type of large creature, could survive on the island unnoticed despite the beliefs of those on the island.

• Like 1

I do understand that animals in an unusual state can make sounds that defy description, in other words, not your usual goat here! However, on this island, there are no game animals like deer, moose, bear etc.

There is not much area on the island and I'm sure a small team of people could scour the area fairly quickly to locate potential sources of the noise.

Of course, if that were to happen, there would be no story and the claimer wouldn't get his 15 minutes of attention.

• Like 1

I do understand that animals in an unusual state can make sounds that defy description, in other words, not your usual goat here! However, on this island, there are no game animals like deer, moose, bear etc.

Albert Bay, Cormorant Island - note both its proximity to Vancouver Island (a bit over 1 mile) and Vancouver Island's proximity from the mainland (a bit over 1 mile at closest point). Also note that game animals like deer, moose, and bears are all good swimmers:

00small11202836.JPG

This deer was found swimming out in the gulf of Mexico. I forget how far it was found but as I remember it was many miles from shore. [source]

(Adult moose) are excellent swimmers and can cross large expanses swimming up to 6 miles per hour for two hours at one time. [source]

Black bears can swim at least a mile and a half in fresh water, and one was recorded swimming for more than nine miles in the Gulf of Mexico... In Montana, a young female grizzly bear that was fitted with a tracking collar made several swimming trips across lakes. Her longest swim took between eight and twelve hours and spanned about seven miles. [source]

They even do bear watching (black bears) on Vancouver Island as a tourist activity - the bears aren't stranded there. Interestingly, there have been a few cases of ambitious grizzlies spotted on northern Vancouver Island, presumably after swimming over from the mainland. [source]

• Like 2

Just took a look at Cormorant Island on Wikimapia: it appears that this bigfoot is closely related to the one recently reported in Prospect Park.

I think it would be more likely this howl came from Jacob Black turning into a wolf then a Bigfoot. (Twilight!! :innocent: :innocent: )

• Like 1

I think it would be more likely this howl came from Jacob Black turning into a wolf then a Bigfoot. (Twilight!! :innocent: :innocent: )

You shouldn't admit to knowing that.

• Like 1

You shouldn't admit to knowing that.

What??? A 46 year old man can't watch teen girl movies? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• Like 2

I live on Vancouver Island, and I make a trip north to Cormorant Island every summer. Alert Bay is one of my favourite places. However, it is far too small of an island to effectively hide something like a sasquatch. The Nam'gis, who mainly inhabit the island, have sasquatch as a huge part of their folklore (though they know it as Dzunukwa in their language, Kwak'wala). Perhaps it was someone tricking the native population? Or maybe some native kids are doing it to scare the non-Nam'gis. If anyone encounters it, yell "gila-kaslaw" and see if it leaves you alone! :tu:

Edited by Podo
  • Like 2

tumblr_netdbuLjPr1rsxqqio1_500.jpg

Seems the sasquatch has a ferry service a available

• Like 1