Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman mistook builder's foam with hair mousse

Still Waters

This woman had the ultimate 'bad hair day' - after confusing expanding builder's foam with hair mousse.

The mystery woman ended up in A&E after presumably misreading a label and slathering the polyurethane foam all over her head.

https://uk.news.yaho...70.html#w6Zid7z

• Like 3

LMAO!

People typically use that acronym despite not actually laughing.

The look on that woman's face however just caused my hind end to temporarily detach from my body due to laughter.

Hence, i really was LMAO!

Edit: i hate this stupid phone and idiot auto spell.

Edited by Misanthropic
  • Like 3

I hate to laugh at that poor woman but, can't stop. I'm just about crying. My aunt put super glue in her eye a few years ago thinking it was visine. Funny thing was is they had a protocol for that the hospital.

• Like 4

What's sad, is a picture like that, taken in a hospital, which has privacy rights for patients, ended up on the internet. This is what is wrong with the internet and people who post stuff like that without any regard for photo subject. I, in no way, find this amusing.

• Like 4

I hate to laugh at that poor woman but, can't stop. I'm just about crying. My aunt put super glue in her eye a few years ago thinking it was visine. Funny thing was is they had a protocol for that the hospital.

That is good? Sad?

Some people ...

I don't even like getting that stuff on my hands, and I've ruined many a pair of pants, shoes, etcetera with urethane foam.

Great for insulation, mousse, not so much. Pretty sure she'll never, ever do that again. Ever.

• Like 2

That reminds me of a time years ago when I was dating. I asked my girlfriend to give me the Visine out of the glovebox. When I caught a red light, I squezzed a couple of drops in my left eye and it felt like instant fire. She had accidently handed me a similar looking bottle of 8 track head cleaner. For several hours, I wasn't sure if I'd ever see out of my eye again. After a few days it finally cleared up.

• Like 2

She probably has a lawyer ready with a law suit. Wanna bet the can doesn't say in big bold letters DON"T USE ON HAIR!

Unless the foam was on her scalp she would have been just as well off going to a barber to cut off her hair, then buy a wig until her hair frew back.

I'll put money on, that the woman in question is freetoroam! Or should i say freetofoam

Edited by Lucas Cooper Merrin
  • Like 1

There is no way she did this to herself.

First the type of cans for mousse and the insulation foam are completely different and work differently. I've worked with this stuff and it has a little tube that has to be attached for the foam to flow (unlike mousse which doesn't).

Second if you use most of a can the rest of the can is worthless because either the little tube cakes closed or the can of foam sets up so it can't be used at a later time. So even if someone had been using it near a place she keeps her hair products it's unlikely for them to be confused or to work at a later time. There had to be some real bad (astronomically bad) timing for it to work out.

Third there is a trail of foam that is small and away from her and I find it would be impossible for it to set at that angle and thinness if she did it to herself also it is what isn't in her hair is mostly on her back and the back of her shirt sleeves.

I do agree with Shilogh17 this isn't funny and most likely not self-imposed!

Mabon.

• Like 2

So the haircut is fixed for at least 6 months and water-repellent. More time for the kids and the husband. Perfect.

First the type of cans for mousse and the insulation foam are completely different and work differently. I've worked with this stuff and it has a little tube that has to be attached for the foam to flow (unlike mousse which doesn't).

Second if you use most of a can the rest of the can is worthless because either the little tube cakes closed or the can of foam sets up so it can't be used at a later time. So even if someone had been using it near a place she keeps her hair products it's unlikely for them to be confused or to work at a later time. There had to be some real bad (astronomically bad) timing for it to work out.

Third there is a trail of foam that is small and away from her and I find it would be impossible for it to set at that angle and thinness if she did it to herself also it is what isn't in her hair is mostly on her back and the back of her shirt sleeves.

Mabon.

I agree. IT's more pathetic than funny past the initial reaction. I was wondering about the shirt droppings myself. There was no indication whether or no the woman could understand the language on the can. I also found it interesting that her hair seemed to be teased already before the "mousse" was sprayed on. IT does seem intentional, whether her or someone playing a very cruel joke.
  • Like 2

Mabon.

I agree, there is no way this is true.

Notice she has leaves in her hair as well, I'm calling B***S***.

• Like 3

I agree, there is no way this is true.

Notice she has leaves in her hair as well, I'm calling B***S***.

It does seem really far fetched.

Either she's mentally ill, seeking a settlement, the victim of a cruel prank or has a medical condition that leaves her with no common sense.

Which is it? "Only her hairdresser knows for sure."

• Like 3

What's sad, is a picture like that, taken in a hospital, which has privacy rights for patients, ended up on the internet. This is what is wrong with the internet and people who post stuff like that without any regard for photo subject. I, in no way, find this amusing.

Oh come on. This is funny. :clap:

Not sure why it made it on the Unexplained Mysteries front page.

From what I can tell, no permanent damage.

• Like 2

Oh come on. This is funny. :clap:

Not sure why it made it on the Unexplained Mysteries front page.

From what I can tell, no permanent damage.

How do you know? Have you ever worked with this stuff and gotten it on your skin? It doesn't come off with soap and water or any known solvents that wouldn't harm the skin. The cans clearly say to wear protective eye wear and rubber gloves.

As the foam expanded if it was put close to the scalp it would have torn the hair from her head. Once set the only way to remove it is to cut it, which means getting close to the scalp and basically balding this person and possibly causing more skin damage along the way.

Permanent damage isn't the only damage that can cause pain and suffering. It's going to take months for her hair to grow back. Not to mention if she gets an allergic reaction to this stuff.

So no... it isn't funny.

• Like 2

How do you know? Have you ever worked with this stuff and gotten it on your skin? It doesn't come off with soap and water or any known solvents that wouldn't harm the skin. The cans clearly say to wear protective eye wear and rubber gloves.

As the foam expanded if it was put close to the scalp it would have torn the hair from her head. Once set the only way to remove it is to cut it, which means getting close to the scalp and basically balding this person and possibly causing more skin damage along the way.

Permanent damage isn't the only damage that can cause pain and suffering. It's going to take months for her hair to grow back. Not to mention if she gets an allergic reaction to this stuff.

So no... it isn't funny.

I disagree.

I have worked with the stuff. It is hard to get off.

I'm certain she would have had to cut all her hair off. I doubt her scalp is damaged. The stuff expands and hardens up and doesn't seep.

I still find it funny.

i sense foul play... like someone foamed her head to the ground while she was 'resting'

• Like 3

I disagree.

I have worked with the stuff. It is hard to get off.

I'm certain she would have had to cut all her hair off. I doubt her scalp is damaged. The stuff expands and hardens up and doesn't seep.

I still find it funny.

If you have worked with it then you know it doesn't have to seep, if smeared it will continue to harden and hardening foam on exposed skin is painful. This is why you can't get it off if it gets on you without taking skin with it, hence the gloves and eye gear.

• Like 1

If you have worked with it then you know it doesn't have to seep, if smeared it will continue to harden and hardening foam on exposed skin is painful. This is why you can't get it off if it gets on you without taking skin with it, hence the gloves and eye gear.

I doubt it reached the scalp. She would have had to rub it in for that to happen. If she would have tried rubbing it in, she certainly would have noticed it wasn't mousse.

I'm still with the majority. This is funny.

• Like 2