Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia in Syria

LucidElement

Maybe you should polish his shoes while your down on the knees in from of the little man ;)

Lol...Bibi tried that a couple of weeks ago and got a stack heel in his eye for the effort.

It's hard to know what exactly is shaping up over there with all of the chess pieces simultaneously on the move. One thing for sure is that many US military "leaders" are apoplectic over Obama keeping them largely out of the sandbox even as the game has begun.

Key lawmakers from both parties say frustration with the White Houseamong the top military officers is at its highest level in decades, the product of President Obama’s cautious approach to the wars in Syria andIraq and an indecisive inner circle of White House advisers who, critics say, have iced the Pentagon out of the policymaking process.

http://www.washingto...-highest-level/

It's hard to not picture this whole thing converging somewhere around Tel Megiddo...

Edited by hacktorp
  • Like 1

Lol...Bibi tried that a couple of weeks ago and got a stack heel in his eye for the effort.

It's hard to know what exactly is shaping up over there with all of the chess pieces simultaneously on the move. One thing for sure is that many US military "leaders" are apoplectic over Obama keeping them largely out of the sandbox even as the game has begun.

http://www.washingto...-highest-level/

It's hard to not picture this whole thing converging somewhere around Tel Meggido...

Yep, from what I read, it's a nice open and flat piece of ground, quite conducive to very large troop deployment. I don't think we're quite at that point though. Obama has been, since day one, resistant to counsel from his military experts. He seems bent on using his ideological coterie for all such decisions. The Russians and the Chinese probably cannot believe their good fortune and the Islamic fanatics feel sure that it's their god intervening on their behalf.

Obama has been, since day one, resistant to counsel from his military experts. He seems bent on using his ideological coterie for all such decisions. The Russians and the Chinese probably cannot believe their good fortune and the Islamic fanatics feel sure that it's their god intervening on their behalf.

While it's tempting to credit Obama alone for resisting certain military advisement, it seems unlikely he is entirely alone on the matter. I wonder if we are witnessing a profound and deep divide within the Pentagon over how and for what purpose US military power is projected in the region going forward. Simply taking land for a Greater Israel might not be enough for the Joint Chiefs. There are, however, rumblings that the Saudi regime is fractured and nearing collapse. That would bring the US over very quickly and in large numbers.

While it's tempting to credit Obama alone for resisting certain military advisement, it seems unlikely he is entirely alone on the matter. I wonder if we are witnessing a profound and deep divide within the Pentagon over how and for what purpose US military power is projected in the region going forward. Simply taking land for a Greater Israel might not be enough for the Joint Chiefs. There are, however, rumblings that the Saudi regime is fractured and nearing collapse. That would bring the US over very quickly and in large numbers.

The buck sort of stops with the guy who makes the decisions though. As to a schism in the Brass, my guess is that they realize the level of funding just won't support too many concurrent missions. I'm not sure where your reference about anyone in the US being interested in expanding Israel's territory. The last several governments have very publicly been pushing them to give up land. If the Saudis fall right now, they're screwed. Oby will never go into such a war.

against who?? neither isis, nor rebels have any aircraft. makes you wonder whose planes he plans to shoot down?

He's probably just covering all his bases in case the U.S. and other NATO forces have an anxiety meltdown.

Its going to make Russia want to retaliate against these demons,and this whole state of ISIS even more.I wouldn't be supprised if they would go in Syria now and join forces with America and really bomb the hell out of them.

http://www.aol.com/a...pLid=1654158355

Putin thinks that ISIS is owned and operated by the U.S. I don't think they'll be joining forces any time soon.

Putin thinks that ISIS is owned and operated by the U.S. I don't think they'll be joining forces any time soon.

I think Russia knows better ,the sooner the world steps in unified to destroy these Islamic terrorist's, the better the world would be. Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 2

against who?? neither isis, nor rebels have any aircraft. makes you wonder whose planes he plans to shoot down?

Surface-to-air missiles (SAM) can be used to destroy other missiles, not only aircrafts. So if the rebels are provided with MANPADS to shoot down aircrafts, Russia could respond to protect itself. But this will create headaches for the US, France and Israel if they plan to fly within range of their air-defense system.

Edited by Sam.

Surface-to-air missiles (SAM) can be used to destroy other missiles, not only aircrafts. So if the rebels are provided with MANPADS to shoot down aircrafts, Russia could respond to protect itself. But this will create headaches for the US, France and Israel if they plan to fly within range of their air-defense system.

Russia has AA systems that can shoot down missiles but the ones mentioned here are not that capable. THESE are a message to the neighbors - stay away. Israel will respect it as much as possible but if Iran tries to push a shipment of game changers to Hezballah in Lebanon then Russian missiles be damned, they will strike who they need to.

The buck sort of stops with the guy who makes the decisions though. As to a schism in the Brass, my guess is that they realize the level of funding just won't support too many concurrent missions. I'm not sure where your reference about anyone in the US being interested in expanding Israel's territory. The last several governments have very publicly been pushing them to give up land. If the Saudis fall right now, they're screwed. Oby will never go into such a war.

Yes...heavy emphasis on the "sort of", however.

As for the expanding of Israel's territory, "Greater Israel" may be a misnomer. The power elite there may well be getting pushed to give up land within Israel proper, but one can't expect them to get pushed down in one place and not pop up some place else. The attempts to grab land by "ISIS" in the Levant and Nuland's bloody coup in Ukraine appear to have the zionist's fingerprints all over them. It looks to be now or never for those guys...they sure have backed themselves into a corner, haven't they?

Edited by hacktorp

Yes...heavy emphasis on the "sort of", however.

As for the expanding of Israel's territory, "Greater Israel" may be a misnomer. The power elite there may well be getting pushed to give up land within Israel proper, but one can't expect them to get pushed down in one place and not pop up some place else. The attempts to grab land by "ISIS" in the Levant and Nuland's bloody coup in Ukraine appear to have the zionist's fingerprints all over them. It looks to be now or never for those guys...they sure have backed themselves into a corner, haven't they?

Talk about self fulfilling prophecies! Let's see... Israel is attacked and wins another war and her territory expands (again) so Israel MUST be responsible for the attack, right? I mean, Israel surely doesn't have real, OUTSPOKEN enemies in the region. Nonsense hacktorp!

I find it hard to believe that Israel would be involved ;Syria may have been a historic enemy, but neither dissolving into chaos nor being effectively taken over by Russia would serve Israel's interests.

If the aircraft WAS brought down by a bomb, and if that action can be attributed to ISIS, then I would expect Putin to go biblical, and offer extensive ground-troop support to Assad's forces, effectively propping him back up into power. (In return, Russia would get expanded influence in Syria, an enlarged Meditteranean naval base, an Army base... and who knows what. Tickets to the Damascus Superbowl ? )

• Like 1

If the aircraft WAS brought down by a bomb, and if that action can be attributed to ISIS, then I would expect Putin to go biblical, and offer extensive ground-troop support to Assad's forces, effectively propping him back up into power. (In return, Russia would get expanded influence in Syria, an enlarged Meditteranean naval base, an Army base... and who knows what. Tickets to the Damascus Superbowl ? )

I don't think Russia wants a sort of Afghanistan 2.0 scenario.

Surely Putin knew the risks both at home and abroad of a military intervention in Syria. This attack was unexpected but I doubt it will change their plan of bolstering a Mini-state for Assad, maybe they will strike ISIS hard from the air to retaliate but a massive deployment doesn't seem to be part of the equation.

Edited by Sam.

• 3 weeks later...

President Obama and President Putin address the UN on their strategies for fighting the Islamic State.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, a Russian Su-24 fighter-bomber was shot by the Turkish Armed Forces near the border of Syria. It was the first time a NATO member admitted of shooting down a Russian warplane since the end of the Cold War.