Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia in Syria

LucidElement

Oh, but the uninformed have jumped on the "evil dictator" bandwagon, because they are naive, and simply choose to believe what the media and the government tell them.

Really? As far as I can see, you've basically believed everything the Syrian government has said and now what the Russian government has said, because RT is a state-owned news media site which primarily pumps out propaganda stories that are in favor of Russian viewpoints and Russian allies. Ergo, it's inherently biased in favor of whatever the Kremlin deems is acceptable news or acceptable viewpoints, not objective, impartial journalism.

They have no wisdom, maturity, or experience to think for themselves.

Again, really? Have you not looked at your own sources? They're essentially government propaganda, or in the case of your Wikipedia article, directly quoting government ministers themselves. And have you not noticed that in the 2000 and 2007 elections, Assad was the only candidate on the ballot?

I just find it ironic that you claim people here (or specifically, me) that we don't think for ourselves and that we only believe what the government tells us to believe and yet you post sources from government owned media or ones which directly quote government ministers. How is that independent thinking?

Hold Uncle Sam's hand, off we go to Armageddon.

So we should hold the hand of Putin and march off to salvation?

Thing is, I'm not really an Assad supporter.

Could have fooled me.

Just showing facts on his legitimate rule.

It's not really "legitimate" but I've already explained to you why.

I've been following this man for 15 years. When the Arab spring started, the U.S wanted to support the rebels, but public opinion was against it because of the acts we saw they had commited. Wiping out entire villages due to being another sect of Islam, killing Christians, beheading children, and the list goes on.

You mean when ISIS came to town? Yeah, ISIS is terrible. I think we can all agree on that.

So the U.S renamed them "moderate rebels", and McCain himself said the other day we could give the moderate rebels anti-aircraft missles to shoot down Russian aircraft. So with a little renaming, and scenes behind the lines, we are supporting Syrian opposition.

The Free Syrian Army, which were largely composed of ex-government officials and ex-Syrian military soldiers. They were the moderate opposition. But they no longer exist as an effective fighting force.

Assad will not come out of power. And I believe the Syrian civil war will be over within a year, now that Russia has stepped up to the plate.

Now he won't because Russia has essentially given him victory on a silver platter.

• Like 2

Could have fooled me.

It's not really "legitimate" but I've already explained to you why.

You mean when ISIS came to town? Yeah, ISIS is terrible. I think we can all agree on that.

The Free Syrian Army, which were largely composed of ex-government officials and ex-Syrian military soldiers. They were the moderate opposition. But they no longer exist as an effective fighting force.

Now he won't because Russia has essentially given him victory on a silver platter.

Probably. I think it remains to be seen how far S.A. will go to fund the mercenaries against them. Remember that airpower is Russia's greatest advantage and it can be effectively mitigated with top line manpads or even missile batteries, both of which S.A. has. If Russia has to put large numbers of it's own boys on the field it's going to become tricky for Putin. It would be a grave escalation but these people are playing for keeps. The Sunni/Shia rumble has a very long shelf life and now it has modern toys to deal death on an unimaginable scale. We really could be witnessing the equivalent to the days immediately after Franz and Sophie were gunned down. A wrong move here or there, with the monumental egos involved, boom.

Probably. I think it remains to be seen how far S.A. will go to fund the mercenaries against them. Remember that airpower is Russia's greatest advantage and it can be effectively mitigated with top line manpads or even missile batteries, both of which S.A. has. If Russia has to put large numbers of it's own boys on the field it's going to become tricky for Putin. It would be a grave escalation but these people are playing for keeps. The Sunni/Shia rumble has a very long shelf life and now it has modern toys to deal death on an unimaginable scale. We really could be witnessing the equivalent to the days immediately after Franz and Sophie were gunned down. A wrong move here or there, with the monumental egos involved, boom.

Monumental egos or obstinate idiocy? Our President acts like a petulant child who's not getting his way, He's just refused to host a top level Russian delegation Putin has offered to send to Washington to discuss the Syrian situation. Apparently he doesn't have the diplomatic finesse of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. We're engaged, jointly but not cooperatively, in a theater of operations, one button push or trigger pull away from a major international incident. Yet the President of the United States, the so-called leader of the free world, is acting like a sulking teenager and refusing to answer the phone! I'm sorry, all you Obama lovers out there, but this not the way you treat a historically paranoid country with a nuclear arsenal that rivals our own!
  • Like 2

Obama is now focusing on the 'China' threat in the South China Sea ...

Here we go again ~

`

Here we go again ~

`

Those islands they're building? Should be interesting to see how many Typhoon Seasons they last.
  • Like 1

Those islands they're building? Should be interesting to see how many Typhoon Seasons they last.

That's actually a very good point. Talk about the sands of time sweeping you away...

As long as lighthouses in these day and age is expected to last I guess ~ Japan is back pedaling from initial cold and unfriendly positions

Komeito Party chief passes Abe's personal letter to Xi Jinping

CCTV.com

10-15-2015 05:24 BJT

"We are expecting the China-Japan-South Korea trilateral leaders' summit to be held soon and we want to make that happen. During my visit to South Korea the other day, I handed over Japanese Prime Minister's personal letter to South Korean President Park Geun-hye. She said she is looking forward to the trilateral leaders' summit. And it's the same reason why I'm here in China -- to pass the personal letter from Abe to Chinese president Xi Jinping. We hope to improve the relationship among the three countries," Yamaguchi said

`

Here we go again ~

The Chinese are a threat to their regional neighbors. The Chinese government has basically said that these islands and disputed reefs are theirs and they're building islands of them (which is a loophole in international maritime law) and that if the countries that, by rights, should own those islands, said islands will have military facilities. China's already sent thousands of troops to the Vietnamese border a few times whenever the latter exercises its right to disagree about the ownership of said islands.

I had a similar thought with regard to rising sea levels as the planet warms up.

Being Vietnamese, I have to say that the government in Hanoi is very uneasy here. Popular opinion will take any excuse to be anti-Chinese, and here the Chinese are handing them more than an excuse but a good serious reason for antipathy to China.

The Communist party here, of course, derives from the Chinese Communist party, and there are many links. Also, the Chinese know the Vietnamese party and its levers and most of its secrets (such as potential scandals, where the corruption is buried, etc.). This puts the part off balance to say the least.

If Hanoi ignores what the Chinese are doing, or at least seems to be tacitly accepting it, they stir up public opinion and weaken their legitimacy. If they protest and take measures, Beijing is able to undermine them.

Interesting thing: in one week Russkies claimed they destroyed 40% of IS strongholds/weapon storehouses/etc. By now, that percentage should be 146%, not less... Is there peace in Syria already?

• Like 3

Putin sends DEADLIEST 'Blazing Sun' flamethrower missile to Syria to wipe out ISIS

RUSSIA'S army is preparing to deploy its most DEADLY weapon yet in the fight to wipe Islamic State (ISIS) from the face of the Earth.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/612415/Russia-Blazing-Sun-missile-launcher-attack-Islamic-State-terrorists

Interesting thing: in one week Russkies claimed they destroyed 40% of IS strongholds/weapon storehouses/etc. By now, that percentage should be 146%, not less... Is there peace in Syria already?

No but you have to hand it to Putin because he continues to outsmart the USA and the West, he is actually turning out to be quite an astute politician. Looks like Obama's plan to remove Assad will have to be put on the back burner.

• Like 2

ISIS really never had numbers based on belief of an idea, IMO. It was sheer brutality that made their ranks swell. Come in to a place kill christians, other sects of Islam, or those who were deemed westernized, or whatever. Then join us or die. Fear of them made them grow from what I have seen. So now they are up against an organized Army, no doubt some will run.

The Chinese are a threat to their regional neighbors. The Chinese government has basically said that these islands and disputed reefs are theirs and they're building islands of them (which is a loophole in international maritime law) and that if the countries that, by rights, should own those islands, said islands will have military facilities. China's already sent thousands of troops to the Vietnamese border a few times whenever the latter exercises its right to disagree about the ownership of said islands.

YOu can spin this into those old archaic moldy cold war 'We are here to save the World' any which way you want but let it be clear that through the extensive History of China's foreign policies with the regional neighbors, we here tend to know China a little differently and for more than a thousand years ~ so far the only 'threat' diplomatic and military speaking has been experienced from Western Powers since the SPanish and Portuguese idiots sailed around here looking for spices, then came the Dutch the English the French the Americans, aside from that few years of madness from Japan ~ which one can also safely surmise to argue is from consequences stemming from Western Interests of the day ~

Sorry but threats like what you are making 'making' here just makes yourselves look ridiculous ~

~

• Like 1

Some protestors in Moscow are against Russia's involvement, including slogans along the lines of "No bombing for peace" or something. Kinda interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/moscow-protest-against-russia-role-syria-152224107.html

• Like 1

Some protestors in Moscow are against Russia's involvement, including slogans along the lines of "No bombing for peace" or something. Kinda interesting.

http://news.yahoo.co...-152224107.html

A lot of the youth in Russia do not want a return to Vlad's paradise he so longs for. The sad thing is the people are slowly being beaten down again to where they were during the Soviet days. Even most of the soldiers who have died in Ukraine have been buried secretly. Their families threatened if they speak out. I have a couple of people I am quite fond of over there and I feel really badly for them and what is coming.

Skip to the 6:15 point. Rand Paul exposes the US government of creating isis back in 2013 and John Kerry acknoledges it. Isis is a US entity. I hope Russia destroys every last one of them. The US has become a terrorist nation and should be feared imo.

• Like 2

Skip to the 6:15 point. Rand Paul exposes the US government of creating isis back in 2013 and John Kerry acknoledges it. Isis is a US entity. I hope Russia destroys every last one of them. The US has become a terrorist nation and should be feared imo.

Well he doesn't say it directly but indirectly yes, and I think that anybody knows that. Anyway, I found it funny how Kerry reacted, he was like "em okay" and then just tells the audience some scripted hollow phrases which he learned by heart and which have no connection to what the senator previously said.

• Like 1

I listened to that 4 times. Can you quote the part that you infer our creation of ISIS from? And to be clear, could you say exactly what you mean by "create" ISIS? When I hear this it seems that the speaker (you in this instance) is actually saying that some part of the US government intentionally put together a plan to recruit jihadis, arm them and resupply them while they are acting in the region. IS this what you mean?

I listened to that 4 times. Can you quote the part that you infer our creation of ISIS from? And to be clear, could you say exactly what you mean by "create" ISIS? When I hear this it seems that the speaker (you in this instance) is actually saying that some part of the US government intentionally put together a plan to recruit jihadis, arm them and resupply them while they are acting in the region. IS this what you mean?

I also wanted to make clearer - Is it your contention that some element of the US government KNOWINGLY and even with direct evidence of what ISIS was doing, still support them now?

I had to do the same thing. Paul does not expose the US for creating ISIS. He does point out that Obama just wasn’t sure who we should be supporting and that support may have ended up with ISIS. That’s very possible. However, we did enable the creation of ISIS. When Obama pulled our troops created the environment that allowed their existence. No, we’re not a terrorist nation, just a stupid nation. Hopefully things change in about 15mons. I wish we were feared. We may never be able to recover from the damage this POTUS has caused.

• Like 1