Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
LucidElement

Russia in Syria

566 posts in this topic

third_eye

If ever there were occasions for events where states as it is there is more than meets the eye open to public eyes in History ... interwebs is making this all whole new ball game ~ better or worse I hope the public digs in a front line on the side of clarity claims first before being entrenched in the bogs of 'truth' ~

• Like 1

bee

The West is being stupid. We need to be allies with Russia and get rid of ISIS extremists.

yes

That seems to be so obvious - it's embaracing that Western leaders are resisting the most sensible and effective way of tackling IS -

I've got a good idea -

Why don't the US and Britain et al, tackle IS in Iraq (perhaps they might actually be able to do that without arming and training extremists

and terrorists..?...)

And leave Russia to tackle them in Syria...

bee

The bottom line? Russia's main target are the Syrian rebels that are supported and equipped by the US. ISIS is clearly NOT Russia's main target... It's the US.

behave...... :)

https://www.rt.com/news/317170-russia-accused-civilians-syria/

The narrative apparently fitted too well into the familiar ‘Russia is the villain’ narrative for Western media to pass it by. Journalists asked Defense Secretary Ash Carter for confirmation.

"I want to be careful about confirming information, but it does appear that they were in areas where there probably were not ISIL forces," he told reporters, falling short of confirming the allegations.

Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov joked that journalists who want to get accurate information about the Russian campaign should ask the Russian military and not the Pentagon.

NewAge1

Iranian Troops Join Ground Offensive In Syria

''Hundreds of Iranian troops have arrived in Syria to join a major ground offensive on behalf of President Bashar al-Assad’s government, sources said on Thursday, a further sign of the rapid internationalisation of a civil war in which every major country in the region has a stake.

Russian warplanes bombed a camp run by rebels trained by the CIA, the group’s commander said, putting Moscow and Washington on opposing sides in a Middle East conflict for the first time since the Cold War.''

Link: http://www.theglobea...rticle26610890/

Edited by Draco20

RavenHawk

Most honest thing I've heard a politician say in years IMO.

Perhaps but it wasn't all that truthful. Much of what he said was accurate but weaving it with his spin… he played it well. He's not the one to speak of imperialistic or unilateral actions. He has no respect for Obama and rightfully so.

and then

Russia doing what Russia does best protecting its own foreign interests. - Its funny How Saudi and Turkey caused the utter chaos in Syria and then We- the Stupid West got involved. - Its Funny how The West approach of 4 years of utter chaos is the correct action - and Russian action is the bad approach. - This could be the ticket out for the West. Let Russia Back Assad, Let Russia bring stability to Syria or at least the conditions for Assad to gain control over the country and put the lid back on the pressure cooker. - Or is this a case of the West is always right?

Who here fancies spending countless Billions carrying out yet another Nation Building exercise in the middle east? Not me, Thank god for Russia getting involved the UK should be approaching Russia with the information we've been gathering for the last few years and wish Russia well in its endeavour. and the US, UK can concentrate our efforts in Northern Iraq/Iraq. AND while were at it tell Turkey and Saudi where to go.

I agree...let THEM do the bleeding and the paying but remember that when the dust clears, Russia will have a major port and military base on the Mediterranean. If that seems like a fair trade to you then bully for the Russians I guess. Putin has already implied that Israel will have to stop "attacking" Syrian soil - when all Israel is doing is counter fire against mortar and missile fire FROM Syria. Vlad might get more than he counts on if he pushes the IDF too far. Bibi is NOT Obama.

bee

I agree...let THEM do the bleeding and the paying but remember that when the dust clears, Russia will have a major port and military base on the Mediterranean. If that seems like a fair trade to you then bully for the Russians I guess. Putin has already implied that Israel will have to stop "attacking" Syrian soil - when all Israel is doing is counter fire against mortar and missile fire FROM Syria. Vlad might get more than he counts on if he pushes the IDF too far. Bibi is NOT Obama.

Hi and then

Is that just 'implied' ... or did he say that..

It's always difficult to understand a remark out of context -

maybe if Russia can sort the extremists/mercenaries out - there will be no need for Israel to defend themselves from attacks from Syrian land?

Mr.United_Nations

The thing is Israel and Russia had talks recently about Syria and it was good to hear that they back each other against Islamic state. Could Russia persuade Israel to target IS areas

• Like 1

bee

The thing is Israel and Russia had talks recently about Syria and it was good to hear that they back each other against Islamic state. Could Russia persuade Israel to target IS areas

yes I saw about that - Israel and Russia having talks -

:) I'm just listening to RT news channel (Russia Today)...Ron Paul is talking on a show at the moment. Jesse Ventura's son Tyrel has a show that

was on earlier and Larry King also has a RT show...

Edited by bee

Dark_Grey

crusader.jpg

Russian Orthodox Church Declares Russia's Strikes Against Assad's Enemies "A Holy War"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russia-syria-air-strikes-are-holy-war-against-terrorism-says-russian-orthodox-church-1521847

Russia has God on their side. Can you say the same, rebels?

Looks like we're getting a Cold War and a Holy Crusade resurrection

Hammerclaw

yes

That seems to be so obvious - it's embaracing that Western leaders are resisting the most sensible and effective way of tackling IS -

I've got a good idea -

Why don't the US and Britain et al, tackle IS in Iraq (perhaps they might actually be able to do that without arming and training extremists

and terrorists..?...)

And leave Russia to tackle them in Syria...

I think that's coming. As for taking out Daesh in Iraq? The Iraqi Shia must do that for themselves. They must fill the power vacuum by their own "blood, toil sweat and tears" or submit, once again, to domination by their Sunni masters. This is their war, their cause, their fight for their very existence as a nation and in the end, it is they-not us-who must win it. If not, once we leave, the situation will once again devolve into chaos.

President-Elect Acidhead

Carly Fiorina, GOP candidate, just gave an interview to FOX'S Sean Hannity where she believes the USA should put in place a No Fly Zone inside Syria to protect the so-called rebels from Russian bombers. When pressed by Hannity if this meant perhaps engaging militarily with Russia she said yes. This woman is nuts. I had doubts about her and they've been officially confirmed.

• Like 1

Dark_Grey

Carly Fiorina, GOP candidate, just gave an interview to FOX'S Sean Hannity where she believes the USA should put in place a No Fly Zone inside Syria to protect the so-called rebels from Russian bombers. When pressed by Hannity if this meant perhaps engaging militarily with Russia she said yes. This woman is nuts. I had doubts about her and they've been officially confirmed.

Has the no-fly zone not been set up already? Or is she referring to an additional one?

NewAge1

So it appears the Russians are using ISIS as an excuse to reinforce Assad and are targeting the other rebels in Syria. I don't get it -- sounds underhanded, hypocritical (what do we expect) and stupid. Russia can't afford this, has little to gain, will make enemies all over the Muslim world on both sides of the extremes, will stimulate his own ISIS problem in his backyard -- all for a tin-pot incompetent like Assad. Sheesh.

The Free Syrian Army (FSA) are not fighting ISIL. Their sole purpose is to overthrow the Assad regime and to replace it. They have been known to make alliances with extremist groups such as Jabhat al-Nusra (al-Quaeda) and even ISIS fighters when needed in a bid to seize territories from the Syrian Army.

I have some sympathy for their cause but from Russia's point of view, these guys are standing in the way.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 2

President-Elect Acidhead

Has the no-fly zone not been set up already? Or is she referring to an additional one?

No idea bud. Is there one in place? By whom? Russia?

bmk1245
[...]

I have some sympathy for their cause but from Russia's point of view, these guys are standing in the way.

Russkies... carpet bombing... standing in the way... Reminds me of Grozny, after "precision strikes"...

1319359977__634x375.jpg

bee

The Free Syrian Army (FSA) are not fighting ISIL. Their sole purpose is to overthrow the Assad regime and to replace it. They have been known to make alliances with extremist groups such as Jabhat al-Nusra (al-Quaeda) and even ISIS fightings when needed in a bid to seize territories from the Syrian Army.

so basically - even if the mythical Free Syrian Army actually exists it is in a coalition with Islamic State itself or affiliates -

so America is making themselves a part of that coalition ..?

you really couldn't make this stuff up - talk about an Orwellian nightmare...

• Like 1

NewAge1

so basically - even if the mythical Free Syrian Army actually exists it is in a coalition with Islamic State itself or affiliates -

Well, it must be hard to know which targets are actually FSA or al-Nusra (a.k.a al-Qaeda) since the later has pretty much swallowed the former.

All that remains of CIA-trained rebels is in Homs. But it just so happens that this area is of vital strategic importance for the Assad regime.

It is the link between Damascus and the coastal cities of Tartus and Latakia.. where the Russians have been building up their forces..

Edited by Draco20

President-Elect Acidhead

Putin made it clear in his UN speech a couple days ago that if the Syrian institutions are over run and fail all of Syria will collapse into chaos. We're told the rebels trained to fight ISIS jumped ship. It's only logical to press more immediate goals and protect syrian GOV interest first and foremost. Once these areas are secure then go after the rest inside Syria.

bee

and if Syria collapses into chaos that will mean a few more million refugees / migrants heading to Europe...

Edited by bee

bmk1245

and if Syria collapses into chaos that will mean a few more million refugees / migrants heading to Europe...

Syria already collapsed into chaos. Putin's affair is destined to fail...

NewAge1

Syria already collapsed into chaos. Putin's affair is destined to fail...

The Assad regime may only control about 15-20% of Syria, but that's where the bulk of the population is. They remain capable of maintaining services in these areas and even in certain rebel-held territories since the governing institutions are still well in place in the capital of Damascus. But should the regime fall to extremists, it would have disastrous consequences. I think even the West realizes that now, which is why they want to 'negotiate' Assad out of office.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 2

bee

The USA is at serious risk of untold damage to it's International reputation - with it's support for terrorist affiliated groups in Syria -

http://www.theguardi...n-isis-fighters

Senators appear incredulous and call for a new plan after hearing news that US military’s $500m effort has resulted in training of only a handful of fighters

four or five of them apparently - Russia had better try and not hurt those five men if at all possible :rolleyes:

RavenHawk

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

bmk1245

The Assad regime may only control about 15-20% of Syria, but that's where the bulk of the population is. They remain capable of maintaining services in these areas and even in certain rebel-held territories since the governing institutions are still well in place in Syrian capital of Damascus but should the regime fall, it would have disastrous consequences. I think even the West realizes that now, which is why they want to 'negotiate' Assad out of office.

Heh, where oil pumps are?

And "bulk of the population"... Please... Who cares about "bulk of the population"...