Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 dead at college shooting

OverSword

http://www.foxnews.c...d/?intcmp=hpbt1

There should be a least one armed guard at every school.I remember when my kids went to school when there were a lot of these scares at schools and I asked if there was a armed guard on duty and they said no ,lucky my kids survived, but now I worried about my grand kids.There should be at least be one armed officer at every school at all times to combat these crazies.We`ve got to something to protect our children

I know people always come up with kneejerk reactions, but really? Who would these armed guards be? Would they be regular police? How many would it take to have one at every single school or college in the entire United States? What would they spend all day every day doing, since however frequent these kind of things might seem, the chances of something happening at any one particular school must surely be absolutely microscopic? Or would they be teachers who are also trained as qualified gunpersons? Would there be one in every classroom or lecture hall, or would they be on standby somewhere waiting for the call to rush to the scene? Would they be remotely likely to have any chance of reaching the scene in time to be of any use?
  • Like 1

Perhaps a conspiracy theory, but there was a earlier report this young gun men asked these kids he killed what their religion was.Then Ombama comes on and says take the guns away. Do you think our enemy is trying to incite people to kill each other over religious beliefs, so our guns will be taken away and they can take over.I just can`nt see a young man kill all those kids just because girls rejected him that they are saying.

"Our enemy"? Do you mean the Muslims or Obama?

My Dear American cousins,

How will these mass shootings stop? Is that answer less guns or more guns?

You'll decide, as you usually do, but (in my opinion) having more guns per capita clearly isn't working with regard to incidences of mass shootings.

- Sincerely, your concerned Canadian cousin.

Um ...they won't. Watched some guy on the news this morning from the gun lobby actually say that if all the other students on campus also had guns then they could have defended themselves !!! You really can't argue against someone with that flimsy a grasp of logic. Taking his argument through to it's logical conclusion, why don't we arm every country in the world with nukes?

Ah well, ce la vie, until the next time.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

"Our enemy"? Do you mean the Muslims or Obama?

Everyone's enemy.

Belgians.

• Like 4

The view of this attack from Australia - link. From my Aussie viewpoint the video makes some interesting points. It's never so easy to just say "let's ban guns" or the other side "we need more guns". Just thought I'd put it out there.

• Like 2

The national conscience of the US seems to be "whatever we do, or our ancestor's did, is inevitably the right thing to do".

Now, I'm not suggesting that is every individual American's "conscience", nor am I suggesting the US is alone in believing that it, as a nation, is "on the right path". All nations on the planet believe this of themselves, but there are some that do not - for various reasons - indulge in occasional introspection and comparison to ascertain whether the "path" they have set themselves upon really is "the best". America is one (or, at least, appears to be) of those nations.

In this respect, the US Constitution (or parts of it) may be more of a hindrance than a help in how US society progresses towards a more peaceful and socially (rather than economically) prosperous one. It's status as quasi-religious "scripture" both defines, and is defined by, a mind-set of stubborn defiance in the face of the need to change. Perhaps the US grew up too fast too soon, and is now paying the price for having too much power on the world stage without the national maturity to properly handle that power. Perhaps the US is also somewhat caged by it's apparent inability to properly apologise for the mistakes of it's past, and maybe those two things are somewhat interrelated.

There is little doubt in my mind, however, that something is fundamentally wrong in US society. For a nation that prides itself on it's alleged moral superiority and being "more civilised" than most, human life seems to be appallingly cheap and is less protected than cars, hd-tv's, etc.

How is this relevant to the topic?

Because it is within a society like this that unbreachable divisions occur, divisions which lead to irreconcilable prejudices and greater stresses on fragile individuals. Given this, and the easy availability of appropriating powerful means of bringing devastation to the lives of others, is there really any shock the level of lethal violence in such a society may be higher than other comparable societies?

• Like 5

http://www.foxnews.c...d/?intcmp=hpbt1

There should be a least one armed guard at every school.I remember when my kids went to school when there were a lot of these scares at schools and I asked if there was a armed guard on duty and they said no ,lucky my kids survived, but now I worried about my grand kids.There should be at least be one armed officer at every school at all times to combat these crazies.We`ve got to something to protect our children

The armed guard will just be the first killed in future killings.

These killings are unfortunately well planned not random people wandering around waving guns.

The national conscience of the US seems to be "whatever we do, or our ancestor's did, is inevitably the right thing to do".

Now, I'm not suggesting that is every individual American's "conscience", nor am I suggesting the US is alone in believing that it, as a nation, is "on the right path". All nations on the planet believe this of themselves, but there are some that do not - for various reasons - indulge in occasional introspection and comparison to ascertain whether the "path" they have set themselves upon really is "the best". America is one (or, at least, appears to be) of those nations.

In this respect, the US Constitution (or parts of it) may be more of a hindrance than a help in how US society progresses towards a more peaceful and socially (rather than economically) prosperous one. It's status as quasi-religious "scripture" both defines, and is defined by, a mind-set of stubborn defiance in the face of the need to change. Perhaps the US grew up too fast too soon, and is now paying the price for having too much power on the world stage without the national maturity to properly handle that power. Perhaps the US is also somewhat caged by it's apparent inability to properly apologise for the mistakes of it's past, and maybe those two things are somewhat interrelated.

Yes,as i've said before, a document that was written 240 years ago does seem rather... out of date now as a basis for a society that's developed and changed in ways that couldn't have been imagined then . (The much fabled Second Amendment being a major case in point; it was obviously written with provision for a "Citizens' Militia" in mind, not as a free for all). But because it's treated as a sacred text it's almost literally blasphemous to even begin to question the relevance of it now.

My Dear American cousins,

How will these mass shootings stop? Is that answer less guns or more guns?

You'll decide, as you usually do, but (in my opinion) having more guns per capita clearly isn't working with regard to incidences of mass shootings.

- Sincerely, your concerned Canadian cousin.

Neither. Education is required. Getting rid of or at least taming the "entitlement" mentality. Addressing mental disorders and treating them better. Wiping out evil. Of course, that last thing is utterly impossible, and people will do evil things, regardless of the tools they have on hand to do them. But to mitigate the reasons why people would want to commit these kinds of crimes is the core of the problem.

More guns won't change the statistics, as legal gun owners/the mentally stable don't commit these crimes. Less guns will increase ALL sorts of violence, as the public would be disarmed and unable to defend themselves (see Chicago as a very strong example).

• Like 4

The armed guard will just be the first killed in future killings.

A poorly-trained and unprepared armed guard might be the first killed in future killings.

These killings are unfortunately well planned not random people wandering around waving guns.

It doesn't take too much intricate planning, as these take place in gun-free zones or where the chance of the victims successfully defending themselves is low.

I'm not defending 4chan, but there are literally threads every single day with people claiming that they are going to go on a shooting or blow something up, etc.

People talk about "deleting" 4chan but if you start censoring the internet, well...

This was my exact thought.

It's the Internet people say crazy stuff a the time. If you want to delete 4chan then you basically want to delete everything

Edited by spartan max2

Neither. Education is required. Getting rid of or at least taming the "entitlement" mentality. Addressing mental disorders and treating them better. Wiping out evil. Of course, that last thing is utterly impossible, and people will do evil things, regardless of the tools they have on hand to do them. But to mitigate the reasons why people would want to commit these kinds of crimes is the core of the problem.

More guns won't change the statistics, as legal gun owners/the mentally stable don't commit these crimes. Less guns will increase ALL sorts of violence, as the public would be disarmed and unable to defend themselves (see Chicago as a very strong example).

So why all these mass shootings then? Seventy two (72) mass shootings in the US have occurred since 1982. Make that 73 with the Oregon one. That makes an average of over 2 a year. LINK

The US has the highest rate of gun ownership in the world (88/100) and while they don't have the highest rate of homicides by gunshots in the world by average percentage per 100,00 pop, the US does have the highest amongst nations living in more progressed societies (@ 2.97 gunshot murders per 100,000 pop). The table in the link shows statistical data obtained from UNODC (United Nations Office of Drugs and Crime). Now, as US citizens, if you want to pride yourselves of having less gunshot murders than Cartel ridden nations such as Columbia (27.09) and Mexico (9.97), or poverty stricken places such as El Salvador (39.9), Guatemala (34.81) or Honduras (69.43) where buying a gun is probably cheaper than buying a loaf of bread, then who am I to change your proud feelings. I would have thought that US citizens would have preferred to have been compared to countries such as Germany (0.19), France (0.06), Canada (0.51), Australia (0.14), Japan (0.01) who have effective Gun Laws in place. Obviously and according to the statistics, I must be wrong in my assumptions.

Edited by Black Red Devil

This is an interesting article but very depressing, written by : "John Kozy a retired professor of philosophy and logic who writes on social, political, and economic issues. After serving in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, he spent 20 years as a university professor and another 20 years working as a writer. He has published a textbook in formal logic commercially, in academic journals and a small number of commercial magazines, and has written a number of guest editorials for newspapers. "

Violence:The American Way of LIfe

http://www.globalresearch.ca/violence-the-american-way-of-life/5318698

• Like 3

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/2/9443479/oregon-shooting-hero-chris-mintz-has-mma-and-wrestling-background

Chris Mintz, a 30-year-old military veteran and amateur MMA fighter with a 1-1 record per Sherdog, is being credited with heroic acts during yesterday's school shooting in Oregon. Pastor Dennis Kreiss gave an account of Mintz's actions to People magazine.

"He told all the students in his class to get to a safer place," he says. "He went outside of the classroom and stood by the door to make sure the shooter didn't come in. When the shooter came out of the classroom he confronted him and said, 'You aren't getting by me' and at that point the shooter shot him five times and the shooter moved on and apparently didn't go in that classroom. I applaud the guy's heroism. He may have saved the people in the classroom. Many people are depraved in our society and he was ready to lay down his life for his friends."

• Like 1

This is an interesting article but very depressing, written by : "John Kozy a retired professor of philosophy and logic who writes on social, political, and economic issues. After serving in the U.S. Army during the Korean War, he spent 20 years as a university professor and another 20 years working as a writer. He has published a textbook in formal logic commercially, in academic journals and a small number of commercial magazines, and has written a number of guest editorials for newspapers. "

Violence:The American Way of LIfe

http://www.globalres...of-life/5318698

I like this part of the article, " If guns are needed for self-protection, the state has failed in its primary function of insuring domestic tranquility."

• Like 2

Well if we look at who these mass shooters are they all have similarities.

The most obvious similarity being they are young.

It would then make sense to me we make gun ownership illegal until the age of 26 (one year after they are eligible for renting a car).

If anyone gun has been stolen from a parents house then the parents are charged as accessories to the crime.

This seems like a common sense approach to me as all shooters are young males. Young males can be volitile in any animal species. People sometimes forget we are animals. Male animals often go on murder sprees because they want to be alpha.

Edited by BlackBearWolf
  • Like 3

I like this part of the article, " If guns are needed for self-protection, the state has failed in its primary function of insuring domestic tranquility."

In fact, it's my profile quote now. :tu:

Coming from a non American (Canadian), I'm just wondering how do you think this applies to places out in the sticks where police are tens of minutes if not an hour or more away...

Coming from a non American (Canadian), I'm just wondering how do you think this applies to places out in the sticks where police are tens of minutes if not an hour or more away...

Doesn't the state cover all of it's territory?

The truth is America is a violent place, a violent culture, and always has been. Before England, Australia, or Canada implemented strict gun control did they have mass shootings or drive-by shootings on a regular basis like we do in the states? Nope. If those other countries legalized guns would they suddenly have mass shootings? Probably not.

It depends where you live really. When I lived in AZ and CA, I would never walk around alone at night. Whereas in MI and ND, I felt perfectly safe doing so.

Doesn't the state cover all of it's territory?

Yes but the police don't. And every country in the world does have crime out in the sticks where the police are spread too thin / non existent. Just saying. I personally don't have a stake in the race, but I'm curious because frankly I find that above quotation laughable (in a sad way :( )