Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

~Religion~

Sirius147

Hello,

I was wondering what religion should i choose? If you have info on other religions such as buddhism christianity paganism etc. please list.

--Religion--Main Entry: re·li·gion

Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back —more at RELY

Date: 13th century

1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3 : archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS

4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

- re·li·gion·less adjective

Edited by Sirius147

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sirius147

• Grandpa Greenman

• aquatus1

• Q-La

Hello,

I was wondering what religion should i choose? If you have info on other religions such as buddhism christianity paganism etc. please list.

--Religion--Main Entry: re·li·gion..

What do you want? What do you already believe? Are you flexible?

That's all I'll say, good luck thumbsup.gif

I dont find buddhism to be as much of a religion as a way of life. Buddhism never hurt anyone. I find it quite interesting, in an... abstract, kind of way.

I dont find buddhism to be as much of a religion as a way of life. Buddhism never hurt anyone. I find it quite interesting, in an... abstract, kind of way.

391627[/snapback]

Stellar this is the book I am currently reading which you may also be interested in original.gif :

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

If you insist on approaching religion as a comparison shopper, I recommend Religious Tolerance. Org, a multi-faith group dedicated to providing non-bias information concerning an enormous number of faiths and religions, as well as having up-to-date information concerning many items of faith that a person with questions might wonder about.

Personally, I am a follower of science, and I do not find that following a religions provides any benefits that are worth convincing yourself that they exist. If you wish to join a religion, do so because you have true faith in your heart, not because you do not know what to believe, or even because you think you must believe in something. There is absolutely no requirement that anyone must join a religion, nor will it do your spirit much good if you do, but still retain doubt in your heart.

Religious Tolerance Org

Go to the library and check out books on all the religions and anything by Joseph Campbell. Don't let anybody pick a religion for you. It is a very personal thing. wink2.gif

Why do you need someone to choose a religion for you?

What do you want? What do you already believe? Are you flexible?

That's all I'll say, good luck

--I didnt mean to say choose a religion for me, i just want to know more religions for i can choose one.

--What do i want... hmm.. im not sure what i want. I was or am catholic.. i dunno. I was baptized when i was a baby so i had no choice to say no, and i also went to catechism. But i dont want to be catholic anymore... i havent been to church for more than two yeas sad.gif Whats flexible?

Whats flexible?

391646[/snapback]

Your own belief. No one said you have to follow any organised religion. You can simply have your own beliefs and just not belong to an organised religion. Its about as flexible as you can get.

I think i want to become a pagan and then follow in the path of wicca. hm.. i'll look through it.

Edited by Sirius147

sirius, look at the thread "what if" http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=27824

and "I am a witch" Kaia Pythia http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...showtopic=26804

Paganism is not an easy Path. It takes a lot of study and dedication.

Wicca is not the only one, Paganism has many Paths.

I posted this in a thread. Make sure you check out Drawing Down the Moon.

Ann Moura is great. The Green Witch books and History of Witchcraft by her are great. Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today by Margot Adler that one will help you find the Path that is right for you. Also the Holographic Universe by Michael Talbert was a help to me to find out why magic works. Go to the local Library to save money you would be supprised at what they have.

Good luck

Blessings

As for Pagans the only people I know are followers of Aliester Crowley or Satanists and I would advise staying away from those people.

I recommend Sun worshiping, it is real paganism. Sun worshipping is a universal religion, people all over the world worship the Sun: Shintoism, Hinduism, Mithrism, Greece, Rome, Egyptians, Incas, Aztecs, they all worship the same Sun. It relates to all sorts of ancient sites and mythic traditions and it also relates to Astronomy and Geomancy. It gives you a lot of flexibility and you can choose the ideas you like best.

As for Pagans the only people I know are followers of Aliester Crowley or Satanists and I would advise staying away from those people. 

I recommend Sun worshiping, it is real paganism. Sun worshipping is a universal religion, people all over the world worship the Sun: Shintoism, Hinduism, Mithrism, Greece, Rome, Egyptians, Incas, Aztecs, they all worship the same Sun. It relates to all sorts of ancient sites and mythic traditions and it also relates to Astronomy and Geomancy. It gives you a lot of flexibility and you can choose the ideas you like best.

393099[/snapback]

I DO NOT WORSHIP THE SATAN OR FOLLOW CROWLEY. Mithrism, Greek, Roman, Egyptians, Incas, Aztecs, these are all Pagan Shintoism and Hinduism are eastern and they are not sun worshipers. You have no clue what you are talking about. blink.gif

Ann Moura is great. The Green Witch books and History of Witchcraft by her are great. Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today by Margot Adler that one will help you find the Path that is right for you. Also the Holographic Universe by Michael Talbert was a help to me to find out why magic works. Go to the local Library to save money you would be supprised at what they have.

Ive been in the library and they do have good info on wicca and witchcraft. I once got a book on paganism along time ago. My friend let me borrow her book that she got in the library it was about elemental magick it was good. About the satanism, i read this book also from the library called wicca and witchcraft for dummies and there was a section on there where it said that pagans dont believe in the "christian" devil. And that they do not follow satanism. I dunno i may be wrong. Oh yea thanx for the links darkwind

Followers of Crowley call themselves Pagans, they pretend to worship Satan, or whomever they feel like worshipping, but they don't really believe any of that. Its more like objectivism but with lots of weirdness added. To me these aren't really Pagans at all, but every person I've met calling themselves Pagans are really Satanists.

Pagans, generally speaking, are people who worship deities sourced from the natural world. This would include the Buddhist worship of the sun goddess, the Greek worship of the various gods and goddesses, etc. The only satanists I've ever met (and technically, this isn't a religion, but rather a heresy, i.e. a following based on the rebellion against a specific set of religious rules) are not satanists in the sense of worshipping Satan, but rather use that monicker to emphasize their hedonistic lifestyle. I haven't met one yet who actually believes in Satan. I recommend the Religous Tolerance link I gave earlier, as it explains these conepts in great depth.

Followers of Crowley call themselves Pagans, they pretend to worship Satan, or whomever they feel like worshipping, but they don't really believe any of that. Its more like objectivism but with lots of weirdness added. To me these aren't really Pagans at all, but every person I've met calling themselves Pagans are really Satanists.

393274[/snapback]

Satan comes from Jewish and Christian belief systems not from Paganism. Therefore Satanist must be part of the Jewish/Christian faith. I don't believe in Satan or in hell, that is part of the Christian faith. What Crowley's call themselves I can't help, but they are not part of an Earth based religion so they are not Pagans. I guess they are anti-christians. I once read a definition of Satan as a Christian demi god.

It is to bad that you can type Looter, but can't read. tongue.gif So from this point I will not bother to read your posts.

Ok so how do i become a pagan and follow in the path of wicca?

Do i have to say the wiccan rede?

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.

Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.

To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.

Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,

let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.

Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,

and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.

When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.

When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.

When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.

Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's

insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.

Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.

White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.

Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.

Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.

When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.

As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.

When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.

When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.

Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.

When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.

Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.

When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Or do i just say im PAGAN! Or what do i do???

May I reccomend Odinism. I find it's teachings and values to be extremely true, kind, honest, and most of all helpful. I will not force it upon you, the most important thing is to choose the path you feel right. http://www.odinic-rite.org/

Sirius, do what you want... you don't have to learn long prayers, or sayings, or poems, or "redes" (sorry, i don't know what that is) or anything of the sort. just find out what you believe in, and study it...

and i would think satanism would be the exact oppisite of Judiaism or Christianity.... i really don't know... you'd have to ask a satanist.

and what's all this about crowley?

Edited by Jesus_Freak

Ok thanx jesus freak. Oh yea odinism..... hm... i look into that, and ill also click the link, thanx the raven, im just wondering are you an odinist or sry if thats not the correct term?

Edited by Sirius147