Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid passing dangerously close in 48 hrs

Midyin

If it's as big and as close as they say, then can we see it without a telescope, ...

No.

If it's as big and as close as they say, then can we see it without a telescope, that would be a cool YouTube video.. :D

Even if it was bright enough, which it isn't, it is moving to fast to keep in view of a telescope. The moon moved out of the viewfinder pretty quickly, and its much larger and closer.

Even if it was bright enough, which it isn't, it is moving to fast to keep in view of a telescope. The moon moved

out of the viewfinder pretty quickly, and its much larger and closer.

Advanced telescopes are guided so the object would be in the center of the optics as long as you want. There

are also advanced amateur telescope mounts on the market, fast enough to follow, for example, the ISS as

long as it passes the sky above the area where the telescope is operating.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

If there was indeed an asteroid that would doom the Earth in a matter of days, what would you actually do? Perhaps make an effort to call your family and friends and tell them you love them? Might be a nice way to live every day. We all ultimately become the legacy we leave behind.

And to think the mayority of this balony is being produced by a chick called Lyn Leahz from www.before itsnews.com (haha she has predicted the end of the earth like 500 times now, so that makes her the "elmer Fudge" while we UM rabbits keep laughing! Oh well i guess it will give her some comfort thatv " i predict her that being alive implicates that you will have to die"

If there was indeed an asteroid that would doom the Earth in a matter of days, what would you actually do?

If possible.....

images%2036_zps68v9o0ks.jpg

this ^

• Like 4

At last some sane comments, to punch all the endless doomsayers and their silly and 'fire sure' End of the World predictions on their noses.

• Like 2

At last some sane comments, to punch all the endless doomsayers and their silly and 'fire sure' End of the World predictions on their noses.

There are many people, no... far too many people, that believe that we are in the 'end of times' and who have actually prepared for it, look forward to it and promote it, and profit from it.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

i have watched a interview not so long ago and it was said that nothing was even close to earth ... i dunno it is just a scary headline i guess

???

I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough. YOU SAID NASA LIED. WHAT LIE was that, exactly?

If you have suddenly discovered they didn't, then apologise and explain why you said that. Otherwise you will never learn from your errors, and in fact it was YOU that lied...

Was watching a video on Youtube last week, from a more secular themed provider, and he made mention of some preacher who claimed that the planet was coming to end at some point last week.

Now, we are still here, so why the heck do these dingbats still come out with such rubbish - and that includes this fascination with the end times claptrap - and their band of believers still buy into it?

I think many people simply do not know the definition of astronomically 'close'. A object can approach us several times the distance of our moon and still be considered as being 'close'.

• Like 2

???

I'm sorry, but that isn't good enough. YOU SAID NASA LIED. WHAT LIE was that, exactly?

If you have suddenly discovered they didn't, then apologise and explain why you said that. Otherwise you will never learn from your errors, and in fact it was YOU that lied...

:rolleyes: i think you just want to pick ...... i am just tired of Fear mongering headlines ...i am not on trial so dont play Judge... and if you go back and READ again , i did not make a statement, i asked a question . what did i lie about or are you just nitpicking here to strike an argument ?

and it doesnt Matter nothing happened , there are more serious things happening in this world . so just ignore my previous made QUESTiON . Media just **** with people minds, is all

apologize for what ? nothing was directed at you and if needed to apologize then i will write a Hallmark card to NASA :w00t: ...so i think it is YOU making a mistake here and i hope you learned from it

Edited by YA AMAR

Advanced telescopes are guided so the object would be in the center of the optics as long as you want. There

are also advanced amateur telescope mounts on the market, fast enough to follow, for example, the ISS as

long as it passes the sky above the area where the telescope is operating.

Thanks for tgw correction, ive always been told something like an asteroid would be too dark and fast to see properly through most telescopes.
  • Like 1

Well with 1618 PHA`s out there and To NASA close is millions of miles away , I can sleep better for a few hundred years now ! But can you just Imagine what if one that Big really did blind sight us ? :no:

Boy the wheels on this buss just keep going round & Round ! :tu:

Close is only good in Handshakes & Pee-knuckle !

Its all Relative ! RIght ? Space is Really,REALLY BIG ! Just remember what Douglas Adams wrote, ANd THe Rocks that may come our way some day Can really say "BOOM,BOOM OUT GO THE LIGHTS"

• Like 1

God is protecting us !

God is protecting us !

That was sarcasm, right?

Cheers,

Badeskov

Are we all on the same page? 2015 TB145 will approach within 0.00326 AU, on 10/31 at 17:00 UT. http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/2009FD/2009FD_planning.html?dom=prime&src=syn

Are we all on the same page? 2015 TB145 will approach within 0.00326 AU, on 10/31 at 17:00 UT. http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/2009FD/2009FD_planning.html?dom=prime&src=syn

This topic was about a smaller asteroid which has long since passed by.

This topic was about a smaller asteroid which has long since passed by.

Obviously, but that asteroid was described as "two miles across" by the OP. This one is much smaller. So many posts after the encounter date were what threw me.