Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ happen?

seeder

A researcher has produced a scientific study of the climate scenario featured in the disaster movie 'The Day After Tomorrow'. In the 2004 film, climate warming caused an abrupt collapse of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (AMOC), leading to catastrophic events such as tornadoes destroying Los Angeles, New York being flooded and the northern hemisphere freezing.

Although the scientific credibility of the film drew criticism from climate scientists, the scenario of an abrupt collapse of the AMOC, as a consequence of anthropogenic greenhouse warming, was never assessed with a state-of-the-art climate model.Now scientists have found that, for a period of 20 years, the earth will cool instead of warm if global warming and a collapse of the AMOC occur simultaneously.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/10/151009083254.htm

• Like 1

Without having read the article I will just assume it is a detailed report on how a giant ship floated down very narrow streets to end up enclosed in a part urban plaza.

• Like 1

Maybe not related, but someone have a trick to memorize how you write the word "definately"

Just think of the root word, "define", from there you get "definitely". Easy? :whistle:

i do like that, after all the leadup in the article, the answer is still "well, no".

If one want to read some very interesting historical information, try the author Velikosky (if I spell it right!), amazing analysis of yesterday events our Planet Earth over. And from his many conclusions, it's plausible that very powerful events happened on Earth, so I would think Yes, ''The Day after Tomorrow'' will come some day, hope it won't be in our timeline!

We understand that we are Earth-nauts, we live on a SpaceShip circling the Sun, held up together in the MilkyWay, whose Galaxy is held up together by a Massive Wormhole holding millions of other Galaxies like ours.

And as we know, life in these Galaxies are of different age, and some are invading other by their strenght of attraction, creating large explosion projecting matter on far away planets, so we are constantly vulnerable, so our life.

As we know, our body is not our soul/spirit, we don't die!, our energetic body take hold upon leaving our physical body IMHO!

When I was in school, they first said this would happen, without any doubt's, in 1992. Then it was 2000 would see world catastrophe climate change, then it was 2002, then 2012 then 2020. Stuff happens. Its nature.

I remember when we were all going to die from:

. overpopulating the Earth*

. not producing enough food for the Earth's populations

. "fallout" from the Cuban Missile Crisis

. the Abomination of Desolation**

* There was even a little-bity rectangle size that we would all have to live within.

** Even though it took place in early church history.

But what really gets my goat is how known facts become unknown:

. toilet paper roll etiquette was to install in one rotation now the other way

. how the early day/evening sun/moon is the same size as the mid-day/night

. there "were no volcanoes" any more but they were/are everywhere

Then there were the canals on Mars... oh, that was a different lifetime...

Edited by MyOtherAccount

Guest Br Cornelius

If one want to read some very interesting historical information, try the author Velikosky (if I spell it right!), amazing analysis of yesterday events our Planet Earth over. And from his many conclusions, it's plausible that very powerful events happened on Earth, so I would think Yes, ''The Day after Tomorrow'' will come some day, hope it won't be in our timeline!

We understand that we are Earth-nauts, we live on a SpaceShip circling the Sun, held up together in the MilkyWay, whose Galaxy is held up together by a Massive Wormhole holding millions of other Galaxies like ours.

And as we know, life in these Galaxies are of different age, and some are invading other by their strenght of attraction, creating large explosion projecting matter on far away planets, so we are constantly vulnerable, so our life.

As we know, our body is not our soul/spirit, we don't die!, our energetic body take hold upon leaving our physical body IMHO!

He's a crank.

Br Cornelius

Could the At;antic circulation collapse? Yeah, it has happened before and will again.

Will it look like the Day After Tomorrow? Not really.

The Day After Tomorrow predicted snow in Delhi, which now is a regular thing there.

He's a crank.

Br Cornelius

Hey thanks Cornelius, may you share your reasoning on why this author is ''crank''. I know that Science gave him some trouble, but he seems an original author, revealing as what he considered as factual events that happened on Earth at different times.

Hey thanks Cornelius, may you share your reasoning on why this author is ''crank''. I know that Science gave him some trouble, but he seems an original author, revealing as what he considered as factual events that happened on Earth at different times.

He is, indeed, an original author - very original.

I read "Worlds in Upheaval" in which Velikovsky details his idea that in ancient times the planet Venus somehow left its orbit and had a close encounter with the earth. This is supposed to account for Noah's Flood, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorra and a number of other ancient disasters.

To make a long story short (because it was a long time ago and I don't remember much of it now), science has long since found better explanations.

Doug

• Like 1

Could the At;antic circulation collapse? Yeah, it has happened before and will again.

Will it look like the Day After Tomorrow? Not really.

If you are short on things to worry about: a cold patch has developed in the North Atlantic when those waters should be warm. Are we seeing the beginning of a shutdown in ocean circulation?

Doug

Guest Br Cornelius

Velikovsky has been debunked to death on the ancient history forum here. Basically he works backwards from physical catastrophies to external explanations without providing any proof other than the physical catastrophe. That is called circular reasoning.

As Doug has said there are better alternative explanations for all of his theories.

Br Cornelius

Guest Br Cornelius

If you are short on things to worry about: a cold patch has developed in the North Atlantic when those waters should be warm. Are we seeing the beginning of a shutdown in ocean circulation?

Doug

The North Atlantic drift has been slowing and weakening for well over a decade at this stage. However it seems unlikely that there will be the sort of sudden dam burst of fresh water inflow to the North Atlantic which is necessary to cause a complete shutdown. So we maybe heading for another Mini-Ice age in the local region of the North Atlantic basin but the Day After Tomorrow scenario seems fanciful.

Br Cornelius

What makes Velikovsky a crank is not whether or not he believed in what he wrote.

I am absolutely sure he did, actually.

The problem is he held onto his beliefs despite all evidence to the contrary.

Some of his claims, lije the wanderings of the planets or Earth orbiting Saturn are simply physically impossible.

Others are simply false, such as his claim of Venus not being mentioned in early history. This is simply not true, though it was not recognized as a single object for some time.

He also proposed that comets were not conglomerates of ice and dust and rocks, but asteroids and meteors interacting with an electromagnetic field.

Even in this day we knew better, and later work has solidified this.

Observations of Venus' surface reveal not a recent surface, but from craters and land features a very old one.

It's gravity is to much to have had a tail like a comet, but suppose it did and particles settled to Earth's surface as he claimed. Then those particles would stand out in geology or ice core data, yet they don't.

There are many claims that Velikovsky makes, but none of them match real world data.

I love Velikovsky. He's a hoot, a lot of fun to read. Of course no one with any sense believes a word he says.

I love Velikovsky. He's a hoot, a lot of fun to read. Of course no one with any sense believes a word he says.

Plenty do, I volunteered at a robotics lab working on a DoD project once, and had to sit through endless preaching on Velikovsky.
  • Like 1

Plenty do, I volunteered at a robotics lab working on a DoD project once, and had to sit through endless preaching on Velikovsky.

Plenty of people don't have any sense. Sheesh, even a grade school understanding of how the Solar System works is enough to immunize you from his nonsense.

Eh, not necessarily. This fellow was a high level engineer versed in physics but had some kooky ideas about physics through Velikovsky.

Eh, not necessarily. This fellow was a high level engineer versed in physics but had some kooky ideas about physics through Velikovsky.

You are being generous.

Defi-nightly

I think (although in the heat ort discussion I break this rule a lot) emphatic adverbs weaken one's statement (they have the opposite effect of what you intend). Sorry for OT