Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alcatraz escapees could still be alive

Still Waters

In June 1962, three inmates shimmied through a hole they'd chiseled into the walls of Alcatraz prison and climbed up to the roof.The three men - brothers John and Clarence Anglin and fellow inmate Frank Morris - grabbed makeshift paddles and plunged an escape raft they made of stolen raincoats into the dark waters of San Francisco Bay.

Alcatraz officials have long stated that the men drowned, maintaining the prison's bragging rights of no escapees. But now, more than 50 years later, new leads are being presented by the Anglin family, who are cooperating with authorities for the first time.

http://nypost.com/20...re-still-alive/

• Like 2

The Mythbusters did an episode on their escape and much to Adam Savage's evident surprise, it's plausible they survived the escape.

• Like 2

I think history or nat geo will be doing a special on it as well very soon.

• Like 1

I think the unlikely part is that these guys dug tunnels, built a raft of raincoats and climbed around in the rafters and no one caught on. That they got across the water was an easy feat compared to what they had already accomplished.

• Like 3

Nice. The article is titled "The proof that 3 men survived their escape from Alcatraz", but the proof is a picture of 2 of them.

A forensic artist analysed the facial structures of the men in the photograph and compared it to family pictures and prison mugshots of the brothers.

'It showed up 99.9 per cent accurate,' Ken said.

Art Roderick told Daily Mail Online that the forensic artist, a former police officer with years of experience, had found eight different points on each face in the photograph which matched with the Anglins' mugshots, leading to a 'highly likely' conclusion that it was the Alcatraz escapees.

'Without that, I wouldn't be as keen on this as I am now,' Art said. 'It's a lead but I would like some more pieces of evidence.'

http://www.dailymail...e-43-years.html

• Like 1

I'm on the fence about these guys. It could be a family who's trying to cash in. I don't know. We only have the family's word right now and have hardly any "real evidence."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm on the fence about these guys. It could be a family who's trying to cash in. I don't know. We only have the family's word right now and have hardly any "real evidence."

the picture looks pretty legit. And if they made fake heads to put in bed, they def had time to tie together raincoats to tie to the back of the boats.

Anything is possible. i believe i heard one of the alcatraz escapees mother got every year flowers but it had no name the mother believes that her son sent her the flowers. To me honestly i think they survived maybe made a secret identity and cleaned up their lives.

• 11 months later...