Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Answer a Question With A Question (Part 4)

toyomotor

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

'Right, lads, on yer bike!', they didn't start swimming the Irish Sea for Britain?

I see your point - really, has any creature ever successfully swam while riding a bike?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Why did Paddy the Brit ban Ireland's snakes? What's really the truth behind that story? Surely when St Patrick said to Ireland's snakes: 'Right, lads, on yer bike!', they didn't start swimming the Irish Sea for Britain? What's that all about?

St Patrick wasn't a Brit, but he lived in England for a while when he was young. Didn't you know that?

• Like 1

Why are you making me read? Haven't I told you already that my head hurts when I think and isn't thinking natural consequence of reading? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

Patrick was born in Roman Britain. Calpurnius, his father, was a decurion and deacon, his grandfather Potitus a priest, from Banna Venta Berniae,[29] a location otherwise unknown,[30][31][32] though identified in one tradition as Glannoventa, modern Ravenglass in Cumbria, in what is now England; 

Can we be sure if these Roman names were their actual names, or just used in Latin documentation?   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, toyomotor said:

St Patrick wasn't a Brit, but he lived in England for a while when he was young. Didn't you know that?

if he wan't english or welsh what was he?

Mamma mia... mater mea, in fact... do you even have to ask? 

4 hours ago, RAyMO said:

if he wan't english or welsh what was he?

IRISH! You should have known that, shouldn't you?

Slainte

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toyomotor said:

IRISH! You should have known that, shouldn't you?

Ah - I allows knew I had a gift. Would you believe I knew you'd say that?

• Like 2

Ah, do you really think you're the only psychic here? Can guess how I guessed what it stands for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Ah, do you really think you're the only psychic here?

Well that depends on the relationship of the words psychic and psycho. Wouldn't you think?

• Haha 3

I rather wouldn't think at all :D but yes, if we're doing that thinking thing again, then, yes, absolutely, though isn't there an 'emergency psycho' hidden in otherwise kind people too?

You know, you live, you let live, you build and rebuild, fix and mend and tolerate and you turn the other cheek so the b****** comes closer and you can rip his head off?    

Or is it just me? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No, it isn't just you ...... we are encouraged to let our 'inner child' express itself so why not our 'emergency psycho', too? :w00t:

• Like 3

Speaking of emergency, may I announce that neighbour's cat is about to have her first kittens, apparently in my house? :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

St Patrick was a semi-Romanised Briton who was abducted as a teenager before he had completed his formal education and taken to Ireland as a slave. How can anyone think he was Irish? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Ah - I allows knew I had a gift. Would you believe I knew you'd say that?

Why would I doubt your word?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

St Patrick was a semi-Romanised Briton who was abducted as a teenager before he had completed his formal education and taken to Ireland as a slave. How can anyone think he was Irish? 

Yes, but now he's Irish, in fact, is there any other more Irish saint? 

6 hours ago, toyomotor said:

Why would I doubt your word?

What, you're not psychic? 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Helen of Annoy said:

Yes. Well, I can see that argument, and suppose in that sense you must be right. But I don't think Patrick banished snakes out of Ireland. It was believed that we had none and to further aggrandise him as our national saint he was retrospectively credited with having gotten rid of them. Now this begs the question - should I be getting so serious in a thread like this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

should I be getting so serious in a thread like this?

Did I see a comment from you on another place recently - news  - I wouldn't think many use the same handle?

I was told for snakes read druids? But maybe that is also a little to serious - yes?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Can a little of serious break in otherwise very non-serious thread do any harm? 

So, I think it was meant real snakes, at least at first, maybe it meant pagans later - I'm tempted to think so because the snakeless of few of our islands is also due to this or that saint, it was just logical explanation back then, people noticed you have snakes on Krk but you don't have them on Lastovo, for example, and how can you explain that if not by a miracle? And it is quite interesting that Lastovo has no venomous snakes but does have non-venomous, but on the other hand, is it really hard to end up extinct, on a small island, if everyone is running after you with serious intention to cut you in half?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Helen of Annoy said:

What, you're not psychic? 

I'm not?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Did I see a comment from you on another place recently - news  - I wouldn't think many use the same handle?

Where did you see it?

• Like 1

<snip>

Good advice Helen

Isn't the internet great - you can get advice after the event and go back in time to take it?

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was about me, I'd answer via private message, but I'm highly paranoid person, so should we say that my advice is a bit on the weird side? 

• Like 2

@Helen of AnnoyI went back in time and took your advice.

ETA is not asking a question ever allowed on this board?

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

Guys, not only we're psychic, we're time travelling too, so may I ask a serious question now? 

Where're my lotto numbers? 

Huh? 

Do you seriously want me to go back to work? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1