Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

14 minutes ago, Breez said:

It's a Death Star.

Well then I know how to destroy it,  There is a small exhaust port....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

Sorry guys there are no aliens, there are  no bones  or ships found . but if its  in the light then that's as much to say as to the after life,  nothing proven.

Sorry, but that is nonsense on both counts.

For one, yet again for the second time today, KIC 8462852 is estimated to be 454 parsecs away from Earth, The star is showing an unusual dimming pattern and we are speculating as to why that is, one idea put forward is a Dyson Sphere, which is an theoretical artificially structured sphere encompassing a star to capture it' energy. 

That has absolutely nothing to do with earth, anyone visiting earth, or spaceships on earth. If spaceships are at KIC 8462852 we will not be able to see that, and as far as I know, nobody is claiming otherwise. 

Aliens are not proven no, we are working on that, space is just too big to offer that answer in desired timeframes. What we do know is there is no good reason that alien life cannot exist, and with the abundance of life's building blocks scattered across the Galaxy, it is highly likely. And the afterlife is just not possible I am sorry if that is against what you believe, but that is what evidence says. There is no good reason to believe that we persist in any sentient form after death, we break down to the molecules that we are made of and disperse. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Entirely possible too, I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Who in the real world thinks that ships and bones on this planet is the only proof of life off of this planet? dud:)

We have many bones and ships of transportation  of humans on  this planet .

What are you actually talking about?  Who said anything about bones or ships as having anything to do with the phenomenon surrounding this star?

• 7 months later...

UPDATE...

The linked article provides a potential explanation for the bizarre behavior of  KIC 8462852 or commonly known as “Tabby’s star”.

"The latest explanation — put forward by Columbia University’s Brian Metzger and Nicholas Stone, and UC Berkeley’s Ken Shen — involves a planetary body. According to the authors of the study, this body fell into the star sometime between 10 and 10,000 years ago, causing it to brighten dramatically."

"According to the researchers, the star is acting the way it is because it devoured an entire planet sometime in its past, and is only now returning to its natural state."

http://www.ibtimes.com/alien-megastructure-star-update-new-study-says-kic-8462852s-bizarre-behavior-being-2473656

• Like 1

It seems to me that all this speculation about this dimming of this star is based on little understanding of our own star .

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/167878-every-color-of-the-suns-rainbow-why-are-there-so-many-missing

We can not fully explain the line spectrum of the sun.

Many people miss this conundrum of understanding our sun.

What I'm suggesting here is that , we can't FULLY explain what our own sun in our solar system is producing . Let alone understanding a far distant sun .

Alien intelligence doings is perhaps the cause , but until we can FULLY explain our own sun , we are venerable to stretched explainations .

Edited by omni9
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, omni9 said:

It seems to me that all this speculation about this dimming of this star is based on little understanding of our own star .

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/167878-every-color-of-the-suns-rainbow-why-are-there-so-many-missing

We can not fully explain the line spectrum of the sun.

Many people miss this conundrum of understanding our sun.

What I'm suggesting here is that , we can't FULLY explain what our own sun in our solar system is producing . Let alone understanding a far distant sun .

Alien intelligence doings is perhaps the cause , but until we can FULLY explain our own sun , we are venerable to stretched explainations .

This is of course true, but the behavior of "Tabby's Star" is bizarre, while the sun behaves like most stars.  I think the explanation lies in the idea that Tabby's Star recently ate a good size planet.  There are problems with this approach, but it does well explain the century-long dimming and debris might explain the rest.

27 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

This is of course true, but the behavior of "Tabby's Star" is bizarre, while the sun behaves like most stars.  I think the explanation lies in the idea that Tabby's Star recently ate a good size planet.  There are problems with this approach, but it does well explain the century-long dimming and debris might explain the rest.

This is based on gravity .

However it could be , that if a planet is envolved , that the planet is actually , being pushed Out of the star in order to balance its self . 

Just saying .

Edited by omni9

14 minutes ago, omni9 said:

This is based on gravity .

However it could be , that if a planet is envolved , that the planet is actually , being pushed Out of the star in order to balance its self . 

Just saying .

That's not my understanding at all.  If some fairly good time ago (several hundred or thousand years) a planet fell into the star, this would cause the star to brighten, and it would then gradually dim back to near its original brightness.  This deals with the century-long dimming noted from old photos.  The odd stuff orbiting would then be seen as residue from the event (maybe part of a planet that fell into the star from the collision of two planets -- or something like that).

It is interesting the extremes scientific theorists will go to to avoid extraterrestrials, even though most think they are probably out there.  The reason though is simple -- to be wrong on such an assertion is to destroy your career.  The consequences of an actual discovery are so tremendously important that one must be very sure all alternative possibilities, even ones we haven't thought of, are completely ruled out.

5 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

That's not my understanding at all.  If some fairly good time ago (several hundred or thousand years) a planet fell into the star, this would cause the star to brighten, and it would then gradually dim back to near its original brightness.  This deals with the century-long dimming noted from old photos.  The odd stuff orbiting would then be seen as residue from the event (maybe part of a planet that fell into the star from the collision of two planets -- or something like that).

It is interesting the extremes scientific theorists will go to to avoid extraterrestrials, even though most think they are probably out there.  The reason though is simple -- to be wrong on such an assertion is to destroy your career.  The consequences of an actual discovery are so tremendously important that one must be very sure all alternative possibilities, even ones we haven't thought of, are completely ruled out.

To your first statement I think differently , obviously . The sun spitting out a planet , hence the dimming . Just my theory , nothing more .

To your last statement ; extraterrestrials are out there and here really , another discussion . 

Extraterrestrials would have the intellect to have the ability to do the Dyson theory , or any variance of . Or greater really. There is no reason to think otherwise . Material Science is young , for us .

The ability for Extraterrestrials to travel enormous distances to my mind could be based on anti-gravity propulsion .

Mainstream scientists will always be , constricted in their , " openness " about ET. 

I'm not a scientist by the way , just a layperson interested in ologies of all kinds .

omni9

I have serious doubts that extraterrestrials are here, or even anywhere nearby, and see that as a "woo" topic, which I tend to avoid discussions with people about as I think discussions with people who believe in such things a waste of time.

As far as a star spitting out a planet, that strikes me as contrary to everything I ever learned about stars or gravity or planets or whatever.  A star eating a planet makes more sense. However, I am not to the point where I would actively defend that theory.  It is too recent and I want some time to pass to see what objections are raised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frank Merton said:

I have serious doubts that extraterrestrials are here, or even anywhere nearby, and see that as a "woo" topic, which I tend to avoid discussions with people about as I think discussions with people who believe in such things a waste of time.

As far as a star spitting out a planet, that strikes me as contrary to everything I ever learned about stars or gravity or planets or whatever.  A star eating a planet makes more sense. However, I am not to the point where I would actively defend that theory.  It is too recent and I want some time to pass to see what objections are raised.

Fair enough .

• 1 month later...
On 14/10/2015 at 3:40 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

A Dyson sphere wouldnt allow any energy or light out, 

Except during construction, which would be quite a long process. Probably on the order or centuries, if not millenia.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Boyajian's Star is currently dimming, about 3 percent so far, and continuing. Any dimming over about 1 percent is too much to be explained as a planet passing before the star.  Astronomers are scrambling to study the star in detail, while the dip in light output lasts. 

A dip at this time tends to support the hypothesis that the largest dimming events are regular in their timing, with a period of about 700 to 800 days. 

Spectroscopic study of the star, while it is dimming, may help explain what is blocking its light. Dimming preferentially in the ultraviolet, blue and visual may be due to dust. If the decline in light output is consistent all across the spectrum, the answer may be a very large solid object, or a group of such objects.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:14 AM, Konichiro Watanabe said:

Except during construction, which would be quite a long process. Probably on the order or centuries, if not millenia.

Let's do some abstract thinking. A star fades and brighten, plus there is a dead spot in space. Perhaps our xenomorph neighbors harvested all available material?

4 hours ago, bison said:

Boyajian's Star is currently dimming, about 3 percent so far, and continuing. Any dimming over about 1 percent is too much to be explained as a planet passing before the star.  Astronomers are scrambling to study the star in detail, while the dip in light output lasts. 

A dip at this time tends to support the hypothesis that the largest dimming events are regular in their timing, with a period of about 700 to 800 days. 

Spectroscopic study of the star, while it is dimming, may help explain what is blocking its light. Dimming preferentially in the ultraviolet, blue and visual may be due to dust. If the decline in light output is consistent all across the spectrum, the answer may be a very large solid object, or a group of such objects.

Maybe when the JWST comes on line we will get some solid answers on that star but certainly it is very engaging to say the least.

Edited by Merc14

Actually, they hope to learn a good deal about Boyajian's Star in the next few days, now that its light output is dipping again. With any luck at all, they'll get spectra good enough to tell them what the light-obscuring matter consists of. A growing list of prominent observatories will cooperate in making very-near-term observations. Among others, it includes  Keck, Palomar, Greenbank, and Lick observatories. 

• Like 2

Boyajian's Star is a puzzle.   I would not go further than that.  One does best not jumping to conclusions -- especially conclusions that are of an extreme nature.

I think a better explanation is that a thousand or so years ago the star "ate" a planet (rare but not impossible) causing a considerable brightening and a lot of debris, and it is now slowly fading back to a more normal state.

If it's debris that's obscuring the star's light, the spectra being taken now, or about to be, should reveal a selective dimming of the shorter wavelengths: ultraviolet, blue and visual bands. If the spectra are dimmed evenly in all wavelengths, quite a bit larger objects are likely to be responsible. 

The largest planets could dim the star by only about 1 percent. The current dimming is already three times that, at last report, and may increase. Previous dimming incidents at this star were as great as 15 and 22 percent.

• Like 1

For any UK Based members of UM, on Tuesday 16th May 2100hrs BBC2 broadcast an episode of Horizon dedicated to strange signals from outer space. The programme will be available on the BBC iPlayer for a few weeks yet.

The entire programme was very interesting and a good chunk of the programme was about Tabby's  Star.

Apparantly to build a dyson structure around our Sun would require all the matter from everything in our Solar System!

Edited by EBE Hybrid

9 hours ago, seanjo said:

It's a clump of asteroids forming a planet or planets...

I believe its already not astroids?

28 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

For any UK Based members of UM, on Tuesday 16th May 2100hrs BBC2 broadcast an episode of Horizon dedicated to strange signals from outer space. The programme will be available on the BBC iPlayer for a few weeks yet.

The entire programme was very interesting and a good chunk of the programme was about Tabbi's  Star.

Apparantly to build a dyson structure around our Sun would require all the matter from everything in our Solar System!

Boyajian's Star is bigger than the Sun. There could also be more material to work with in that star system, exclusive of the star.  There is also the possibility of 'star-lifting', where material is mined from the star, itself.