Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

Proofs of aliens keep piling up and yet some dogmatic skeptics are still denying the obvious fact before their eyes. How is that possible? Their denial is almost religious. We have the pyramids, structures on mars, countless of UFO reports and now this.

We have you clutching at straws. I can't help but to think if you were around when the first pulsars were discovered, you'd be using them as proof of aliens.
  • Like 5

I can't say anything about this with certainty, but our star has an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Would it not be likely this is a much larger one, perhaps closer in to the star resulting in collisions from rocky planets sometime in the past? The missing dust could be blown away over time by the star's solar wind or be attracted to and captured by the larger asteroids. Just seems more likely then mega-alien tech.

The supposed objects that dim Tabby's Star, obscure it by up to 15 to 22 percent. In order to do this, the two largest objects would have to be about 40 to 50 percent the diameter of the star respectively, or around 550,000 to 700,000 miles. Natural objects of this size are stars, not planets. They would presumably shine as a star does, and be quite conspicuous. No such stars have been found, though their search was sensitive enough to find a distant red dwarf companion star.

• Like 2

Proofs of aliens keep piling up and yet some dogmatic skeptics are still denying the obvious fact before their eyes. How is that possible? Their denial is almost religious. We have the pyramids, structures on mars, countless of UFO reports and now this.

Ahh another the aliens built the pyramids kind.. go into the ancient alternative history thread.. go looking back.. this has been spoken of countless times over the years.. and each time none have proved the aliens built it..

structures on mars.. your not a mate of poppet are you?? what structures?? please.. do tell and show with actual proof

yes countless ufo reports.. *cough*

• Like 1

It could be a ring world.. not a dyson sphere :)

and no.. not from halo.. though halo does use a small version of a ring world..

Is this still Going on ? :no:

yup.. lol

• Like 1

Any scientist speculating that this might mean an alien civilization is beyond irresponsible. Whether on the far side of the galaxy or here on Earth. May as well claim light flickering from the far side of a swamp may not be explained by swamp gas and thus could be aliens.

Any scientist speculating that this might mean an alien civilization is beyond irresponsible. Whether on the far side of the galaxy or here on Earth. May as well claim light flickering from the far side of a swamp may not be explained by swamp gas and thus could be aliens.

If the light fluctuations match what one would expect from such a stricture then why wouldn't one hypothesize that such a structure is one of several possibilities? I think it would be irresponsible not to. Now, if they were saying that it is a likely explanation, with just this little bit of evidence, then I would agree with you. Personally I think they will find some more mundane explanation but who knows.

• Like 3

Really interesting mystery.

I'm going for alien terraforming farm, 100s planets brought into the habitable zone that are then customised and sold off to the highest bidder.

Or Galactus

• Like 2

Well there is another possible explanation....

What if there is one or more moving objects between Tabby's star and our solar system, that are coming progressively towards us.

They wouldn't have to be THAT big if they were a lot closer (think about your thumb obscuring the whole sun).

The minor variations in brightness being caused by some of the objects not being quite in line, and dimming could vary as the earth moves around our sun taking others out of direct alignment.

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

There is a also the possibility of thick nebulosity with a strong filamentary or wave structure passing between us and the star. I'm trying to think of a better example, but something like this:

512000main_pia13455-43_946-710.jpg

• Like 1

Such obstructions would exhibit absorption lines in their spectra.

I'm too lazy to look further into this.

Harte

• Like 3

Such obstructions would exhibit absorption lines in their spectra.

I'm too lazy to look further into this.

Harte

As we used to say in the Navy when the aircraft was doing something particularly odd, "Let the guys with the 40lb heads figure it out, we just fly the things."

• Like 5

Well there is another possible explanation....

What if there is one or more moving objects between Tabby's star and our solar system, that are coming progressively towards us.

They wouldn't have to be THAT big if they were a lot closer (think about your thumb obscuring the whole sun).

Mike

At a distance of a quarter of a million miles, to obscure the whole Sun you need something the size of the Moon.

• 2 months later...

An update:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2016/03/31/astronomers-cant-rule-out-alien-megastructure-new-observations-soon/#7dd80735566c

From the article:

“The most puzzling thing is that it looked like a normal star for most of the four years that Kepler observed it,” said Metcalfe. “But on a few occasions something eclipses up to 20% of the light for days at a time. It’s not like anything we’ve ever seen before.”

“I don’t know a single professional [astronomer] that thinks this is an artificial structure, but until we look, we can’t rule it out,” Yale University astronomer Tabetha Boyajian, the crowdfunding project’s team leader, told me.

• Like 2

Wasn't this a story a few months ago?

• 5 weeks later...

A recently published article explains the dimming from the complete ionization of helium. A similar process occurs in Cepheid stars; the difference being that Cepheids are not in hydrostatic equilibrium.

"KIC 8462852 Solved"

https://goo.gl/ng7ey9

Edited by Ell
  • Like 2

“I don’t know a single professional [astronomer] that thinks this is an artificial structure, but until we look, we can’t rule it out,” Yale University astronomer Tabetha Boyajian, the crowdfunding project’s team leader, told me.

erm, huh??? Well, Tabetha, just as well you are there to keep that speculation going strong, given you want funds....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

KIC 8462852 remains a scientific enigma. It's proposed that it be watched steadfastly for further dips in brightness, and that when these occur, its light then be scientifically analyzed. It this way, it should be possible to learn what is  causing this star to fluctuate in such a puzzling way.

Dr. Boyajian and her team have an ongoing Kickstarter campaign underway. They want to purchase observing time on a network of private astronomical observatories. In order to do this, they still need the support of all persons interested in the solution of this fascinating scientific mystery.

Their Kickstarter campaign, which will continue for the next few days, can be reached at the link, given below. The funds that are pledged in support of this project will only be collected if the campaign reaches its goal. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/608159144/the-most-mysterious-star-in-the-Galaxy

Edited by bison
added information
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Saru said:

The helium ionization "solved" in an earlier message had a link to an unreliable source, and I've seen nothing in the literature about such a thing.  Of course I'm rooting for a civilization, but I think "unknown" is probably all we will get for quite a few years.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the efforts to raise money to study this; government grants and universities will tend to steer clear.  Of course the expenditures will have to meet normal charity standards of actual use and audits and  so on.  If it isn't deductible, then I would not.

• Like 2

Maybe I am being optimistic but given the size of our galaxy and how many planets we now know probably exist, isn't it only a matter of time before we see something so extraordinary that it changes how we view the universe and our place in it?

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

The helium ionization "solved" in an earlier message had a link to an unreliable source, and I've seen nothing in the literature about such a thing.  Of course I'm rooting for a civilization, but I think "unknown" is probably all we will get for quite a few years.

Personally I see nothing wrong with the efforts to raise money to study this; government grants and universities will tend to steer clear.  Of course the expenditures will have to meet normal charity standards of actual use and audits and  so on.  If it isn't deductible, then I would not.

I find the efforts to raise money for this better than raising money to produce 10 episodes of MST3K.  While I enjoyed that show, if it was worth bringing back, money would not have to be requested of the "followers" of the show.

On 10/14/2015 at 9:59 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Fascinating!

I suspect it will turn out to be natural, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it didn't.

I think I'll pray that it could be wonderful and not catastrophic, if it isn't natural. :alien: