Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

On 6/13/2016 at 2:47 PM, bison said:

KIC 8462852 remains a scientific enigma. It's proposed that it be watched steadfastly for further dips in brightness, and that when these occur, its light then be scientifically analyzed. It this way, it should be possible to learn what is  causing this star to fluctuate in such a puzzling way.

Dr. Boyajian and her team have an ongoing Kickstarter campaign underway. They want to purchase observing time on a network of private astronomical observatories. In order to do this, they still need the support of all persons interested in the solution of this fascinating scientific mystery.

Their Kickstarter campaign, which will continue for the next few days, can be reached at the link, given below. The funds that are pledged in support of this project will only be collected if the campaign reaches its goal. 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/608159144/the-most-mysterious-star-in-the-Galaxy

It's closed now, but this is great. Thank you :)

Solved?  :lol:  Maybe not 'really' aliens....but a fun mystery nonetheless

Alien megastructure for dimming star seems likely after natural explanations ruled out

THE mystery over why the KIC 8462852 star is dimming had deepened after scientists ruled out all previous theories – leading to claims ALIENS have taken over.

Top scientists were keen to rule out aliens and opted instead to look for a more natural explanation, such as comets passing in-between Earth and the star – colloquially known as Tabby’s Star.

But conspiracy theorists are back after two top astronomers confirmed the dimming and ruled out previous explanations.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/697754/Alien-megastructure-dyson-sphere-tabbys-star

Edited by seeder

Things like this don't get solved by someone writing an article or book - it needs to be peer-reviewed properly.  It seems the mystery is deepening, not being solved:

http://www.sciencealert.com/we-just-got-even-weirder-results-about-the-alien-megastructure-star?0_352586193010211=

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MJNYC said:

I think I'll pray that it could be wonderful and not catastrophic, if it isn't natural. :alien:

If it turns out they are a "they," then they are far enough away that I see no threat.  It would also be thousands of years for us to exchange messages.  The main thing would be little more than the knowledge they exist and a few ideas about our possible future.  As it is the universe seems pretty bleakly empty.

As Seti had said the neighborhood has been very quiet for a long time,:) and if there is life out there you don'nt want to know in what forms. If there was any form of intelligence life, we would know by now, no evidence  of ships.

Edited by docyabut2

At that distance how would we detect ships?  No infrared, to be sure, but that just helps rule out some of the possible other explanations.

7 minutes ago, Frank Merton said:

At that distance how would we detect ships?  No infrared, to be sure, but that just helps rule out some of the possible other explanations.

Frank  aliens have  to have material ships to land here, none have been discovered

It is a mystery that only time and technology can solve.  Tabatha got her money to do the long term analysis and in the next decade and a half we will have some truly impressive telescopes and space-borne observatories coming on-line.  Should be very interesting even if we find this is just some natural star behavior never observed before.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3

awiens.jpg

Trust the kitten. The kitten knows all. 

I really do wonder what's going on. Is it some strange phenomenon or are the gallifreyans attempting to collapse a star into an Eye of Harmony?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Frank  aliens have  to have material ships to land here, none have been discovered

Stop and actually think about this exchange a little.  That none have been discovered is because we haven't the ability to see such things.  There are suggested means of acceleration we might detect, but that is all.  

Maybe that solar system is really dusty for some reason, and that is why we see flickering and luminosity changes.

8 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

Oh I see.  Considering your other views, this nonsense doesn't surprise  me.

2 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Maybe that solar system is really dusty for some reason, and that is why we see flickering and luminosity changes.

Dust would even itself out in a ring or disk, and would shine in infrared.

6 hours ago, South Alabam said:

The problem with that hypothesis is that they aren't seeing any heating of that dust in the infrared spectrum, something you would normally expect to observe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

The problem with that hypothesis is that they aren't seeing any heating of that dust in the infrared spectrum, something you would normally expect to observe.

Ah, I see.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

KIC 8462852 is estimated to be 454 parsecs away though. 

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

KIC 8462852 is estimated to be 454 parsecs away though. 

Exactly and why would any civilization that can harness the power of a star have any interest in our little dust mote in a far away arm of the galaxy.  I honestly think we'll find a "natural" cause when the next gen observatories come on-line but how amazing would it be to know there is a species capable of that level of engineering?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Exactly and why would any civilization that can harness the power of a star have any interest in our little dust mote in a far away arm of the galaxy.  I honestly think we'll find a "natural" cause when the next gen observatories come on-line but how amazing would it be to know there is a species capable of that level of engineering?

I can see their having an interest and they probably already know we exist, but the time and expense of paying us a visit would probably be prohibitive, even for them.

These horror stories about invaders coming for our resources or to eat us are stupid.  We would not be digestible and the transportation costs are prohibitive.  The only bad son they might come would be to set up a colony, and I think a society that has survived to that level will be way beyond those things (I hope).

• Like 2

Sorry guys there are no aliens, there are  no bones  or ships found . but if its  in the light then that's as much to say as to the after life,  nothing proven.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Sorry guys there are no aliens, there are  no bones  or ships found . but if its  in the light then that's as much to say as to the after life,  nothing proven.

I think you are probably right.  I also, however, think it makes a neat thing to speculate about.

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I have no idea what you are saying.  There is nothing that this star has to do with our obscure arm of the galaxy and we have no idea what the cause of these odd observations are but the lack of "ships and bones" is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum and that is saying something.  Why ITF would a species from nearly 1500 light years away visited this tiny little planet and left "ships and bones"? 

Who in the real world thinks that ships and bones on this planet is the only proof of life off of this planet?  Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merc14 said:

I have no idea what you are saying.  There is nothing that this star has to do with our obscure arm of the galaxy and we have no idea what the cause of these odd observations are but the lack of "ships and bones" is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum and that is saying something.  Why ITF would a species from nearly 1500 light years away visited this tiny little planet and left "ships and bones"? 

Who in the real world thinks that ships and bones on this planet is the only proof of life off of this planet?  Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? 

Who in the real world thinks that ships and bones on this planet is the only proof of life off of this planet? dud:)

We have many bones and ships of transportation  of humans on  this planet .

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

Who in the real world thinks that ships and bones on this planet is the only proof of life off of this planet? dud:)

We have many bones and ships of transportation  of humans on  this planet ,the only proof we have.

14 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

We have many bones and ships of transportation  of humans on  this planet .

12 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

Umm?  Sober up mate and report back.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1