Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

Pretty sure someone else would have made the connection and put forward a solid amount of supportive info if that were the case. No offense :w00t:

No offense taken. I often think that any advanced alien technology would be something far beyond our understanding. So harnessing the power of a black hole, a star, or whatever they tap into. Wouldn't looking or act like anything we could think of.

Interesting to see what kind of emmissions the radio telescopes recieve. By the way, Planet Hunters is a great program.

• Like 2

But a Dyson spere is a hypothetical structure born out of science fiction. You can't take it as being in existence can you?

people do it with aliens all the time.

• Like 3

Yep, it's an Alien sstructure built by the forerunners.. That'll do for me!

Indeed. :alien:

To me that entire quote was pretty much researchers saying we have no freaking idea what this is, so we are just going to go with whatever looks kinda the same. Only difference they made it more science and smart like :)

• Like 2

What if black holes are Dyson sphere's? Just saying.

Then they would not emit Hawking radiation - which they do.

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there...........

Could the fluctuation be caused by simple space debris like ours?

4-8-nrc-evaluates-nasas-orbital-debris-programs.jpg

• Like 4

Then they would not emit Hawking radiation - which they do.

What if Hawking radiation is a by-product of working Dyson Spheres?

• Like 5

Something to hold one's breath about

http://www.theatlant...-galaxy/410023/

GREAT link Frank :tu: :tu:

Puts the find it in perspective, I never thought I would say it, but this sounds positive!! I hope we can determine the nature of the anomaly.

• Like 4

What if Hawking radiation is a by-product of working Dyson Spheres?

That would be Dyson Radiation then of course!!!!

• Like 1

What if Dyson is Hawkins in disguise then by default dyson radiation is Hawking radiation.... Let that sink in.

• Like 3

The researchers said: 'By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event.'.

Other 'experts' have thrown the 'Dyson sphere' idea in the mix...

Edit:

Could be a part-Dyson sphere which only covers a certain portion of the star, or in construction...

Or there are two stars one that has been sphered the other reflecting the sphere cover.

This talk of Dyson spheres and similar structures is not to the issue, although I appreciate how it tends to bring the mind that way.

What has been observed is a "mess" of apparently large objects in some sort of formation motion around this star (I take it this means moving parallel and at the same velocity). Since planets haven't been reported, most likely they are not in an orbit that would transit our line of view, but it might be this star has no planets.

Since a comet theory (highly unlikely) is in the explanation mix, I presume the objects are on the order of size of comets. That they are artificial is strongly suggested, but we will just have to wait. We may or may not detect artificial electromagnetic radiation when we look at it next year -- a negative result would however not be conclusive.

• Like 4

I am honestly screaming on the inside for them to detect radio signals. Unfortunately patience is not a virtue I was blessed with

• Like 6

What if Dyson is Hawkins in disguise then by default dyson radiation is Hawking radiation.... Let that sink in.

Then it all just a lie!! :D

There is no Hawking or Dyson!!

Where are the billionaires who usually dump hundreds of millions of dollars to fund research when news like this come out? I hope some billionaires will help donate money to accelerate the study into this strange phenomenon.

• Like 2

You beat me to it.

more a friendly slap than a beat :D

• Like 1

Well if it is Aliens, next we need to work on figuring out a way to contact them or study them.

Well if it is Aliens, next we need to work on figuring out a way to contact them or study them.

Or avoid them.

• Like 4

There is the problem of 1480 lightyears to consider. If we contacted them there wouldn't be a reply for almost 3000 years !

Studying it from a distance is currently the only option we have.

This is pretty much like the UFO debates. If we don't know what it is, why jump to the conclusion that it is aliens ?

I hope that further study will shed some light on the matter, but until then I won't jump on the aliens bandwagon just yet. But I will be perfectly happy to do so if further study supports this idea.

• Like 7

Or avoid them.

At well over a thousand light years away, I doubt they will be more than a footnote even if they turn out to be super-advanced aliens. At that distance it will be a long time before we can learn anything about them or they about us. Even conversations would take over a thousand years between question and answer and any trip would take millions.

The important thing would be that they exist.

• Like 3