Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers discovered alien megastructure?

seeder

Rather than a Dyson sphere, to collect energy, what if energy isn't a limitation, but habitable territory is?

Might it make more sense to move additional planets and moons into the "Goldilocks Zone" as a first step to creating habitable planets? As a second step, break them into convenient sizes, with gravity equivalent to on the original "home" world. There might be "dusty" by-products from either of these activities.

Then you would have something of significant size to block out the star light, and return strange findings on light intensity as a by-product of intelligent activity, and an answer that wasn't "Dyson sphere".

Mike

• Like 1

... a first step to creating habitable planets? As a second step, break them into convenient sizes, with gravity equivalent to on the original "home" world. There might be "dusty" by-products from either of these activities.... Mike

Mr. Fox, firstly I want to say I watched all your movies and loved your show Spin City. I like your ideas on the mattter. I do not think those aliens are that advanced to do what you suggested :D

Edited by dirtierdragoon4

Yea -- energy might not be a limiting factor -- testified to by, if these really are aliens, what they are able to do.

Reminds me of that hexagon energy formation on Saturn's pole. I recall someone explaining that off as a kinda behavior of energy, might as well be for all I know, but it sounds very strange for nature to create geometric patterns like that.

Below is Devils Post Pile, near Mammoth, California......One of MANY natural places with geometric patterns.

02x18DevilsPostpile.jpg

devils-postpile-top-9-2011-2.jpg

• Like 3

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3oXDUjsKf

Whether an advanced spacefaring civilization uses the large amounts of energy from its galaxy's stars to power computers, space flight, communication, or something we can't yet imagine, fundamental thermodynamics tells us that this energy must be radiated away as heat in the mid-infrared wavelengths,' Wright said.

Can they not capture the radiated heat before it escapes to futher energy efficiency of their sphere? I believe they can, so then we may not even see it being radiated.

• Like 1

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3oXDUjsKf

Can they not capture the radiated heat before it escapes to futher energy efficiency of their sphere? I believe they can, so then we may not even see it being radiated.

If this is what is going on, they are only capturing a small fraction of their star's energy. We can conclude this for the reason you say -- we can see the star.

I think more likely would be increasing living space and getting off planet where there may be problems. This is all speculation and we would do well to temper it.

• Like 1

If this is what is going on, they are only capturing a small fraction of their star's energy. We can conclude this for the reason you say -- we can see the star.

I think more likely would be increasing living space and getting off planet where there may be problems. This is all speculation and we would do well to temper it.

You speculator you :D

• Like 1

You speculator you :D

Or that they have mapped their 'near' universe (which includes us), and they see no viable threat.

So it's much more efficient for them to do things in these ways, rather than spend their hard earned to refine their process to perfection.

The exact same way we harvest fossil fuels on our planet.

Edit: I didn't mean to make that semi-political. It was just a logical link.

Edited by Timonthy

The article linked below reports that the SETI Institute has begun to use their radio telescope, the Allen Telescope Array, in Northern California, to monitor the star KIC 8462852 for intelligent radio signals.

http://www.space.com/30855-alien-life-search-kepler-megastructure.html

• Like 2

funny, we find a -possible- megastructure in space and a city appears floathing in china...

that might be a new world record in "jumping to conclusions" there! congratulations!

• Like 3

funny, we find a -possible- megastructure in space and a city appears floathing in china...

it wouldn't have been possible without polution and waste!

• Like 1

What's the connection - other than a crippling lack of applied critical thinking in both cases?

• Like 3

what if what is capturing the sunlight are in matter of fact organic photosynthetic creatures ? Why there's always have to be a planet / water / oxygen to consider life ? :-)

Is the idea of living creatures out there in deep space far fetched ? Think about it...

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

what if what is capturing the sunlight are in matter of fact organic photosynthetic creatures ? Why there's always have to be a planet / water / oxygen to consider life ? :-)

Is the idea of living creatures out there in deep space far fetched ? Think about it...

Have you not seen the movie Gravity? It teaches you in the beginning in the narration that nothing can live in outer space. :D

• Like 1

So KIC84... has a radius about 1.5 times that of the sun. How big would an object or group of objects need to be to mess with the light received that much?

The suggested size of the light-obscuring phenomenon, that has been discussed, is about half the diameter of the star, or about 650,000 miles. That's apparently based on its ability to, in one instance, reduce the light received by the Kepler Space Telescope by 22 percent.

• Like 3

Another article on the SETI Institute's current work on the star KIC 8462852, linked below. Their observations of it will reportedly continue through the end of the month, or, one imagines, indefinitely, if they find something.

Dr. Gerald Harp, senior scientist, thinks that any space collision would have had to have been quite recent. The debris would be expected to settle, over time, into a ring around the star, not the separate bodies that are apparently present. A collision should leave a good deal of dust, too. This has been looked for, but not found.

http://www.universetoday.com/122971/seti-institute-undertakes-search-for-alien-signal-from-kepler-star-kic-8462852/

• Like 4

If scientists conclude that this "alien structure" is an artificial structure of E.T. origin/creation, what would happen next? What would that mean to us here on Earth?

If we can see them, they certainly can see us; so what then are our conclusions?

1. Are they ignoring us?

2. Have they visited Earth?

a. Are they already here?

b. Are they on their way?

3. Are they planning to visit?

a. Is this a space craft, or technology to assist space travel, under construction?

4. Is this the Death Star, under construction? You know, "...long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

My contention is that this structure is natural. Like other fascinating things in the cosmos (e.g., Black Holes, pulsar), this is merely a natural object that we just know nothing about (yet).

If scientists conclude that this "alien structure" is an artificial structure of E.T. origin/creation, what would happen next? What would that mean to us here on Earth?

If we can see them, they certainly can see us; so what then are our conclusions?

1. Are they ignoring us?

2. Have they visited Earth?

a. Are they already here?

b. Are they on their way?

3. Are they planning to visit?

a. Is this a space craft, or technology to assist space travel, under construction?

4. Is this the Death Star, under construction? You know, "...long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

My contention is that this structure is natural. Like other fascinating things in the cosmos (e.g., Black Holes, pulsar), this is merely a natural object that we just know nothing about (yet).

1.maybe

2. no

a. no

b. no

3. maybe

a. probably not

4. it's a trap!

there, hope that answered some questions

• Like 1

They might be a great deal more conspicuous to us, than we are to them. We can't make the Sun vary in brightness by 22 percent, or to any significant degree. This dimming star could be due to some natural phenomenon, of course. There are some problems with this though.

There appear to be a number of separate objects, of various sizes, all of which need explaining. The largest of these appears to be around 650,000 miles in diameter. A natural object that size should have been compressed under gravity to the point that shines as a star. No such star was found.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1