Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptic offers $1M in paranormal challenge

UM-Bot

Image credit: stockxpert
Image credit: stockxpert
A sworn enemy of superstition, Canadian-born magician James Randi has thrown down the gauntlet to mystics, promising a million dollars to anyone who can prove supernatural powers or a phenomenon beyond the reach of science. An arch-sceptic who demonstrates with his own sleight of hand how easily it is to dupe the gullible into mistaking trickery for the supernatural, the bearded 76-year-old has written nine books and lectured at the White House, NASA and several top U.S. universities.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Infoshop

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Loge

• scipherel

• Shadowsleet

You'd think that people with paranormal powers would jump at the chance...though I have a strange feeling that the million will never be claimed.

To all those on these boards who claim to have any type of paranormal ability (you know who you are), here is your chance to prove it AND become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

So...when do you plan on submitting your application? original.gif

crickets

I think this offer's been open for months, and people still havn't managed to claim it yet. I don't tend to give the kids who claim to have "psi" powers the time of day, so I can't say I'm too up to date on their current excuses.

"You, theologists, who know nothing about God!

"You, doctors, who ignore the medical science!

"You, anthropologists, who do not know human nature in all

of its manifestations!

"You, lawyers, who do not have any feeling for righteousness, or for justice!

"You, Christians, who betray the Master in every moment!

"You, judges, who have never judged your own vices and

defects!

"You, governors, who have not learned how to govern your lower passions!

"You, priests, who exploit the fanatical sects of the world!

"You, merchants, who do not have respect, not even for the “bread” which

Mother Nature gives to her children!

"Listen, all of you!

"You have prostituted everything with your filthy money!"

SAW

Typical. Once the prize is withdrawn we'll have all the John Edwards of the world and those with special 'powers' claim that they could have won the prize, but that their abilities are too sacred for them to prostitue them for 1 million dollars. I despise faith healers, and all those stupid complementary therapies.

And what thread would be complete without Loge posting yet another rhetorical and completely irrelevant quote? tongue.gif

And what thread would be complete without Loge posting yet another rhetorical and completely irrelevant quote? tongue.gif

392602[/snapback]

LOL

This world is becoming to close minded and bigoted.

Well, here's the chance for all the psi people in the world to go out there and give us a reason to believe.

But of course they wont.

Why? because they don't want to look like a fool and be shown as the pretenders they are. No one will ever win that million bucks, which has been around for a long time now, because the powers don't exist and the only people who think they do haven't passed grade 9 science. Obviously.

Harsh, but fair....and I love the hat tongue.gif

Thank you. Gives me a touch of christmas warmth. laugh.gif

It is harsh, but as i've seen from this site, everyone who posts forums about these powers are all children who have no grasp of reality because they are to young.

Well, here's the chance for all the psi people in the world to go out there and give us a reason to believe.

392727[/snapback]

Thats not going to happen, there have been so many chances for people with 'psychic abilities' to prove it and no-one has....well actually I correct myself a couple have but have been proved otherwise!

Why is this? I feel there are two reasons:

1) People do not want to face the probable reality that there is no existence after death.

2) Some (and I am not referring to people on UM) people make money out of this and gain celebrity status and attention that they so desperately crave. Why would they want to prove to their fan base that the reality is that they are as psychic as a brick.

Watch out Lottie. Many a brick has been known to control the elements and read minds.

At least, as much as anyone else has.

Edited by BurnSide

In life we have met many individuals who are loaded with money and full of problems: they are involved in lawsuits, overtaxed, etc. They are not happy. sad.gif

What is the use of being rich if one does not have good health? Wretched rich people! Sometimes they are more unfortunate than any beggar. crying.gif

So you're saying that if these people with psychic powers proved their powers and earned 1 million dollars for it, they'd get very sick??

If not, i don't see the relevance.

Is it just me, or did reading this make you want to think of some trick around to getting a MILLION BUCKS????

...The secret is- Knowing that there is no spoon...there is no spoon...there is no spoon....

Never have the masters of Objective Science yielded to the curiosity of anyone. All of them are always silent when they are asking for a sign.

To furnish proofs of Objective Science to those who mock its very existence is to pollute wisdom. It is to give pearls to the swine; is to profane the gold of the spirit; is to deserve the laugh of learned ignoramuses and the fate of betrayers.

Therefore, whosoever wants proof of ultra-sensorial perceptions, let them develop their own brain capacities, let them fight for their own psychological development.

Let them become guinea pigs to themselves! w00t.gif

In life we have met many individuals who are loaded with money and full of problems: they are involved in lawsuits, overtaxed, etc.  They are not happy. sad.gif

What is the use of being rich if one does not have good health?  Wretched rich people!  Sometimes they are more unfortunate than any beggar. crying.gif

392898[/snapback]

No offense...but what the hell are you talking about?

Maybe all those pyrokinetics, telekinetics, telepaths, clairevoyants, precogs and psychometrists are shy?

Like peeing in public...the damn thing just doesn't work!

That, or the radioactivity from the camera interferes with their power?

Or maybe the "negativity" and "closed minds" send off an aura that blocks their powers?

Never have the masters of Objective Science yielded to the curiosity of anyone. All of them are always silent when they are asking for a sign.

To furnish proofs of Objective Science to those who mock its very existence is to pollute wisdom. It is to give pearls to the swine; is to profane the gold of the spirit; is to deserve the laugh of learned ignoramuses and the fate of betrayers.

Therefore, whosoever wants proof of ultra-sensorial perceptions, let them develop their own brain capacities, let them fight for their own psychological development.

Let them become guinea pigs to themselves!

Am I the only one who has no idea what he's talking about?

No, i really had no idea either. laugh.gif

You'd think that people with paranormal powers would jump at the chance...though I have a strange feeling that the million will never be claimed.

To all those on these boards who claim to have any type of paranormal ability (you know who you are), here is your chance to prove it AND become rich beyond your wildest dreams.

So...when do you plan on submitting your application?  original.gif

crickets

392409[/snapback]

Not really that rich...

1 mill isn't that much nowadays, it's enough to keep you off your job for about 20 years, and survive, not enough to make you rediculously rich.

Let's see, i million, after taxes and all that good stuff...

Still leaves you a good $600,000 dollars, tax-free.

Considering how my bank account regularly hovers at the $1500-$3000 dollar mark, living on a month by month basis, and thinking carefully if I can afford to eat at McDonalds, or would I rather put gas in my Sentra...

If I had a power, I would be knocking at Randi's door in a minute. Heck, if I thought I had a pretty good con I would give it a go. I have found that people who do not consider money to be all that important generally have not had to make their way in the working world.

Does anyone think that the actual million is worth it? I mean if someone does prove it then I'm pretty sure everyone would want them. The media would follow them. People might want to turn them into lab mice and for what? $1 million? You can win that much on a carppy reality show. If I had an ability I would go for it even if it was a large sum of $$$.

and for what? $1 million?

If someone were to prove, scientifically, that they had these powers, then they could make a lot more than $1million....hell, with some of the sad claims people on this board make alone, you wonder why they don't have their own tv show by now, amazing the world, and raking in the money tongue.gif

If someone collected this prize, then the papers would all want to buy their story, and get exclusive interveiws...other scientists would want to test out the process, and would offer more money. You would probably be offered places on tv shows for interveiws, and be offered yet more money, and you'd probably be considered a celebrity until psi became "normal", and people lost interest...by which time you'd probably be a multi-millionair.

This is assuming it can be done tongue.gif I doubt very much that this prize is ever going be collected, simply because these powers seem to be a combination of lies and self dellussion tongue.gif