Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Early humans didn't get enough sleep either

UM-Bot

Our tendency to not get enough sleep at night is seemingly not an exclusively modern phenomenon.

The fact that we tend to get less than the optimal eight hours of sleep a night has often been seen as a result of our modern lifestyles, but now researchers at the University of California have revealed that the same problem might have also blighted our ancestors.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/287371/early-humans-didnt-get-enough-sleep-either

• Like 1

Hammerclaw

How was it determined that people need eight hours of sleep, anyways? Why that arbitrary number?

• Like 2

DigitalAcolyte

How was it determined that people need eight hours of sleep, anyways? Why that arbitrary number?

Listen and Believe.

• Like 2

Eldorado

It must have been grim at times without jammies. I love my jammies.

Athena1979

How do they know how much ancient people slept?

Infernal Gnu

Psychics. They used psychics to communicate with the spirits of ancient people to find out.

Lucas Cooper Merrin

For the last 20 years ive functioned perfectly well on around 4-6 hours sleep per night and the odd 40winks through the day, a combination of restless leg syndrome and general insomnia dont allow me for any more really, but i dont feel tired, I'm not groggy or lethargic, this ammount of sleep serves me perfectly well, I've found in the past that if i take sleep medication and get 8-10 hrs i feel terrible the next day, constantly yawning and no energy, even almost depressed.

Personally i dont think our bodies are developed for 10 hrs lying flat every day, we think we need it due to the nature of our busy lifestyles but i think it is a detrimental rut of a habbit!

la_paloma_blanca

I'd imagine they had a lot more reason to be vigilant.