Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Third Eye - The Actual Matrix Story

TheCrow

Monday, October 4th 2004 ended a six-year dispute involving Sophia Stewart, the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers. Stewart's allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were received and acknowledged by the Central District of California, Judge Margaret Morrow residing.

Stewart, a New Yorker who has resided in Salt Lake City for the past five years, will recover damages from the films, The Matrix I, II and III, as well as The Terminator and its sequels. She will soon receive one of the biggest payoffs in the history of Hollywood, as the gross receipts of both films and their sequels total over 2.5 billion dollars.

Stewart filed her case in 1999, after viewing the Matrix, which she felt had been based on her manuscript, "The Third Eye," copyrighted in 1981. In the mid-eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an ad placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works.

According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement. The investigation also stated that "credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers." These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart's original work and that it had been "often used during preparation of the motion pictures."

The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart's case dismissed, without success.

Stewart has confronted skepticism on all sides, much of which comes from Matrix fans, who are strangely loyal to the Wachowski Brothers. One on-line forum, entitled Matrix Explained has an entire section devoted to Stewart. Some who have researched her history and writings are open to her story. Others are suspicious and mocking. "It doesn't bother me," said Stewart in a phone interview last week, "I always knew what was true."

Some fans, are unaware of the case or they question its legitimacy, due to the fact that it has received little to no media coverage. Though the case was not made public until October of 2003, Stewart has her own explanation, as quoted at daghettotymz.com:

"The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner... this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media... let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business... New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, Dreamworks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow... many, many more!... They are not going to report on themselves. They have been surpressing my case for years..."

Fans who have taken Stewart's allegations seriously, have found eerie mythological parallels, which seem significant in a case that revolves around the highly metaphorical and symbolic Matrix series. Sophia, the greek goddess of wisdom has been referenced many times in speculation about Stewart. In one book about the Goddess Sophia, it reads, "The black goddess is the mistress of web creation spun in her divine matrix."

Although there have been outside implications as to racial injustice (Stewart is African American), she does not feel that this is the case. "This is all about the Benjamins," said Stewart. "It's not about money with me. It's about justice."

Stewart's future plans involve a record label, entitled Popsilk Records, and a motion picture production company, All Eyez On Me, in reference to God. "I wrote The Third Eye to wake people up, to remind them why God put them here. There's more to life than money," said Stewart. "My whole message to the world is about God and good and about choice, about spirituality prevailing over 'technocracy'."

If Stewart represents spirituality, then she truly has prevailed over the "technocracy" represented in both the Terminator and the Matrix, and now, ironically, by their supposed creators.

Stewart is currently having discussions with CBS about a possible exclusive story and has several media engagements in the near future to nationally publicize her victory.

This wold explain why the Matrix Sequels are so different and crap compared to the first one and also why the Wachowski's can't actually explain the story behind it laugh.gif

it also shows that they aren't the wonderful creative gods some people think that they are...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subtemperate

• neo cloud 8900

• TheCrow

• Insight

It also mentions Terminator and its sequels..... Didnt see you pick on those....

It also mentions Terminator and its sequels..... Didnt see you pick on those....

393095[/snapback]

lol...

I don't see anywhere where it says she showed Jame Cameron the script for him to be able to actually steal ideas from it.

Cameron got the idea for the Terminator while filming a film in Europe which could be either Piranha Part Two: The Spawning (1981) or Xenogenesis (1978). Plus I also heard another bit of info that said he got the idea for it while he was in hospital. It says she copyrighted it in 1981 so there isn't really a way in which he could have seen it.

She's just suing Terminator cos it has a similar theme in that AI tries to take over.

Cameron has faced this sort of thing before:

Science fiction author Harlan Ellison sued Cameron, claiming that the film was plagiarized from the two "The Outer Limits" (1963) episodes that Ellison wrote, namely "Soldier" and "Demon With a Glass Hand". The concept of "Skynet" could also have been borrowed from an Ellison short story called "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". The suit was settled out of court and newer prints of the film acknowledge Ellison.

Very interesting. I would like to have a look at this 'Third Eye' script and see the resemblances for myself that's for sure.

Yes however, going by the story...This lady sued Terminator makers...and won.

Edited by Subtemperate

I'd be interested in seeing exactly how similar the scripts are too...there's a difference between inspiration and plagerism, and it's not impossible that the origonal script she submitted was absolute mince, that the brothers chopped up, added in a great deal of their own stuff, and actually got a story out of.

I'm not fond of the Matrix anyway though, so I can't say I care one way or the other.

The first matrix was a revolution in film making, story line, and visual effects. The second matrix opened a hundred doors. The third matrix closed NONE of them. It was nothing but a big money grab.

And I say BOOOOOOOO to money grabs.

Depends on how you look at it. The movie was based on philosophy, with many concepts from great philosophers involved in many layers in the story. The problem with good philosophy is, that there is no answer. Philiosophy is pondering, not geting the answer..... So therefore in true philosophical style, they let many ends open.....

Does this make for a great end to a movie? Or a triliogy? Not in the normal sense, as we like closure when we see the end of something...... But if you look at it from a philosophy point of view, the triliogy is not only groundbreaking in the way it conveys many layers of philosophy to its audience, its also a piece of art that most philosophy teachers are recommended to see, and include in their teachings..... At least the few I know have said as so.....

And according to news sources, supposedly the FBI's investigation found she was the creator of The Matrix, and Terminator.....

an email from her:

"I am going to put into the court system...very soon an application & order for improper serivce..... Tell your clients they are getting ahead of themselves with worry and fear!!! The reason you did not get any opposition papers on june the 1st is because I was in new york city from may 15-21 doing media interviews. Tell your people to pack their bags for jail, because my oposition papers will be in the system before june 14! I will knock down your motion...then Bruce ole boy we will see if you will stand by your guilty, lying clients...are you prepared to go to jail with them? Well, that is where you are headed if you try to defend the! I have come too far to let this go and the judge is not going let this case go either! When the time come I will have a dream team...but right now I do not need them...after your motion is knocked down you will have to answer the complaint the same way I sanswered in the court syste,...w!hat are you going to do? This will tell me the real men form the boys!!!!!! Are you man enough to go to jail with them...Think before you answer...remember it is election year and the war is going on and President Bush needs money!!!!!!!! I am going to call a press meeting... you know International media and give them all the news on this case...I know that Fox will be sorry to hear that! You try to fight me and I am going to use your machines to get my point over... After all this is news. The judges name will go down in history...and the washcoskis brothers will send everyone to jail...If they ever start talking...tell Warner Brothers they won be able to protect them in a court of law...everybody in the world wants to know the truth about the matrix movie! This is good news for me and bad for you. Tell your clients that it is one way in RICO and one way out...and the only way they are getting out is they have to pay! Tell your clients that stealing may have been easy...like marriage...but when you get caught it is hell to pay when you get the devorce!!!!!!! Again I have come too far let them get away with this...It is no way in hell it is going to happen. I am a winner and a winner never quits. I can get lawyers...but right now I do not need any, because the FBI have supplied evidense and I can take you on...There is no need to add other elelments of greed for right now until it becomes necessary! I think you gentlemen and ladies understand me? I told you I was going to get your buddy Joel SIlver...and guess what...the rest of the letter if prophecy is true too! Everything you try to do will go in my favor...any weapon formed against me will work out for my good...everything is already working out for me and going against you...the judge have already decided against your motion...sorry but he wants the case... I am reading the signs!...Ive already gotten the news...I now know what I have to do to make you pay... and pay you will or go to jail....

Sophia Stewart"

She seems...real sweet and honest.... *cough*

Plus this from a website person who spoke to her

"About a decade later Sophia Stewart watches the new film called The Matrix and the movie bares an uncanny resemblance to her work. The most notable being the over whelming appearances of African-American actors filling in the roles of The Matrix. Everyone from Morpheus to the Oracle were black actors coincidentally just like the characters in her book"

Thats the most notable??

Edited by Subtemperate

^agrees with almost aall of above

i disliked the last matrix though.. a lil.. over-exaggerated.. they tried too hard i think...

EDIT: btw Cloud love the Monty Python quote grin2.gif i love those knights XD

Edited by arwenpotter

I have it already.... Havent watched it much though, as the extended edition of Return of the King came out at the same time...

Actually that reminds me, the whole commentaries on the discs are very amusing. They wanted to be different, and didnt want thew usual cast and crew stories, as mostly they are boring.... So they got 2 Philosophers who liked to movies to do a commentry, and two Film critics who hated them to do a commentry..... So people could get opposing view points. Tis very interesting listening....

thats hilarious. do they argue alot? i will probably be too busy paying attention to the argueing to pay attention to the movie

Not as such, as the Philosophers and the critics are on two seperate tracks, but the philosophers do get stuck into the critics and the average american audience member, which is kinda funny...... I havent listened to much of what the critics said yet...

• 12 years later...

"In Stewart’s case, the Internet rumors that she was triumphant in her case have flourished. To be clear, the stories that the producers of “The Matrix” trilogy have forked over billions of dollars to Stewart are patently false. No judgment of damages for funds in any amount were decided in her favor. The case has been closed since 2005, but urban legend found its way to the Internet and for nearly a decade many who read these stories believe that Stewart actually won her case."

Did you buy her book? Enjoy it. :) She's getting richer...