Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Horror Movies

BrooklynGuy

With Halloween right around the corner thought I'd ask what is everyone's favorite horror flicks? :alien:

My two favorites are the Original 1978 "Halloween" with Jaime Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasence and the original 1980 "The Fog" with Adrienne Barbeau and Janet Leigh. Honorable mention to the Original 1960 "Psycho" with Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh.

mad_goblin.png

• Like 7

Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Conjuring, The Orphanage, and The Thing i could list a crap ton more but theres just far too many to choose from the shining still messes with me some scenes in that movie still make my skin crawl

• Like 4

1. Aliens

2. R-Point

3. Evil Dead (it counts)

4. Ring (ironically the 'merican version more than the source material)

5. The Mist (because ultimate horrible twist)

6. Night of the Living Dead

7. Dawn of the Dead (remake)

8. 21 Days Later

9. After Earth (I am still horrified that this movie could be conceived, written, much less made)

• Like 5

7. Dawn of the Dead (remake)

brain fart pffffrrrtttt ... i uh... i just posted this for the good scenes, yeah thats it. i didn't forget movies at all.

Edited by Iron_Lotus
  • Like 3

I'll post my current top ten. It's hard to pick and choose just ten horror movies, though. By the way, thanks for reading my mind. :tu:

Dracula

Frankenstein

The Haunting (original movie)

The Shining

The Omen

Rosemary's Baby

Night Of The Living Dead

Psycho

The Mummy

The Wolfman

• Like 5

There was several I liked, many have already been listed, loved The Thing, both versions. I would add Something Wicked This Way Comes and Mama.

• Like 3

You may or may not count this one, but Higurashi When They Cry. S-1 provides shock, horror, terror, general violence and the all around goodness of young people going insane and slaughtering their friends while living out an endlessly repeating series of paranoid fantasies.

Also: Elfen Lied...while not strictly horror, still a good read and watch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higurashi_When_They_Cry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfen_Lied

• Like 2

Halloween, The Amityville Horror and The Thing are my favourites.

• Like 1

Original Halloween, Alien, original Poltergeist and Carpenter's The Thing are some of the best classics. I want to nominate some parts of Carpenter's Prince of Darkness too, or at least the gist of the plot itself, though the actual movie was... less than stellar.

I've also liked some recent ones, including some that didn't get much credit from people, including I think one was called "They"? The Babadook is pretty good though I like a little more suspense and not seeing whatever the threat is, like Communion and Mothman Prophecies honestly, though they're not considered "horror" movies by most people - in fact, I think a lot of alien abduction type movies are pretty scary. I kinda like most of the ... is it Sinister? The guy looking for his kid in the Further?

I also at least liked most of the other movies people had mentioned, even R-Point, though finding the subtitles was hell.

I wish we had more stuff that REALLY knew what it was to be horror.

• Like 1

If I could pick only one, it would be Friday, The 13th, Part II, although, I think I might favor part two over the original simply because I happened to see it first.

• Like 2

9. After Earth (I am still horrified that this movie could be conceived, written, much less made)

'

Sometimes your posts just make my day...

The Fog (the original)

Poltergeist (the original)

Alien (Aliens is more of a sci-fi action movie, but still one of my favorites as well)

Event Horizon

The Exorcist

The Omen

Honestly, "horror" movies aren't my thing because most end up just being "slasher films" and I don't like wasting my time on those. But the few I listed I can watch again at some time. I think I missed a couple.

• Like 3

The Exorcist

Dog Soldiers

The Pit and the Pendulam

London After Midnight

Werewolf of London

Bad Moon

Company of Wolves

Of course some wouldn't be considered horror due their age, like Thorvir above, I am not interested in slasher movies.

Edited by newbloodmoon
  • Like 3

like Thorvir above, I am not interested in slasher movies.

I like a token few slasher movies. Other than those films, I'm not a fan. Blood and gore aren't satisfactory replacements for good characters and good plots. Sometimes, the unseen is more horrifying than the seen.

• Like 3

The Mummy (original)

Ginger Snaps

American Werewolf in London

The Howling

Fright Night, both versions

Can't think of anymore right now.

• Like 2

Alien, The Devil Rides Out, A Plague of Zombies, The Hound of the Baskervilles....

• Like 1

Psycho

I'm not sure that "Psycho" is a horror movie. It's more like the first major mad slasher film. I'll replace it with "The Exorcist", but "Suspiria" is a close second. By the way, do "Alien" and "Jaws" qualify for the list? They seem more like science fiction and action movies, respectively. "Jaws" qualifies as a disaster film (popular in the '70s) too. I understand that it's all subjective. I always connect the horror genre to the paranormal, but my definition likely isn't definitive.

• Like 3

The original 1978 Halloween is on AMC right now followed by Halloween 2,3,4 and 5. :passifier:

butteredpopcorn.jpg

• Like 4

The original 1978 Halloween is on AMC right now followed by Halloween 2,3,4 and 5. :passifier:

butteredpopcorn.jpg

I was only able to catch part 2 after it had already started, which was the same way it worked out for me with their Friday the 13th marathon the night before. <_<

What do you think of part 3? I think they should have at least changed the title up a bit, don't you?

• Like 1

I was only able to catch part 2 after it had already started, which was the same way it worked out for me with their Friday the 13th marathon the night before. <_<

What do you think of part 3? I think they should have at least changed the title up a bit, don't you?

I thought it was terrible and should not even be called part 3. :td:

• Like 1

I thought it was terrible and should not even be called part 3. :td:

Oh, I agree.

I haven't seen any others beyond part 3, but I checked AMC's schedule and all the Halloweens are airing everyday through Oct. 31st and so I still have a chance to see the original again after all. :su

You know, I read that the original wasn't filmed in the fall and so they brought in leaves to blow around and scatter around on the ground. (Well, they sure fooled me! :lol: )

(Click on the arrow to change the date. :tu:)

http://www.amc.com/schedule

Edited by regi
  • Like 2

That likely was the best mad slasher movie of its time. I'm not sure how to categorize films like "Psycho" and "The Silence Of The Lambs". "Halloween" has more of a supernatural vibe. I think that it's the best mad slasher movie if we exclude "normal-killer" movies from that genre.

• Like 1