Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favorite Horror Movies

BrooklynGuy

I've been disappointed in the selection of movies on TV so far this Halloween. It's mostly been gore, which I'm not very fond of. I like more paranormal, ghosty movies. I may have to resort to books like I do whenever my husband goes out of town. I love to read something terrifying all night long when he's out of town on a job. :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I've been disappointed in the selection of movies on TV so far this Halloween. It's mostly been gore, which I'm not very fond of. I like more paranormal, ghosty movies. I may have to resort to books like I do whenever my husband goes out of town. I love to read something terrifying all night long when he's out of town on a job. :lol:

What's your favorite horror movie Michelle?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

What's your favorite horror movie Michelle?

The Shining mini series. I read the book when I was about 12 and loved it! My mother owned a bar and I was home alone reading until three or four A.M. every weekend on Friday and Saturday. It creeped me out so bad I had to use the broom handle to open the shower door before I could go pee. :D First time ever did anything like that happen!

I loved King insisted on doing a remake. It was much better than the original movie.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM, Michelle said:

The Shining mini series. I read the book when I was about 12 and loved it! My mother owned a bar and I was home alone reading until three or four A.M. every weekend on Friday and Saturday. It creeped me out so bad I had to use the broom handle to open the shower door before I could go pee. :D First time ever did anything like that happen!

I loved King insisted on doing a remake. It was much better than the original movie.

I love the book aswell :tsu:

I'm the opposite...

While the mini series is truer to the book,it just felt corny to me...

Nicholson was a much more convining maniac and just made the vibe of the movie that much creepier!

• Like 4

I like the first 2 Hellraiser movies!

Also the Halloween movies (original 1,2,4,5) Rob Zombies remakes were pure garbage :td:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I love the book aswell :tsu:

I'm the opposite...

While the mini series is truer to the book,it just felt corny to me...

Nicholson was a much more convining maniac and just made the vibe of the movie that much creepier!

Speaking of The Shining, how about the hotel being a set!

Yes, not a real hotel at all. I was stunned to learn that.

Hell, we have it on DVD and we must have watched it 100 times.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, -ZZ- said:

Speaking of The Shining, how about the hotel being a set!

Yes, not a real hotel at all. I was stunned to learn that.

Hell, we have it on DVD and we must have watched it 100 times.

I've watched it well over 100 times and i say that proudly lol

Another horror movie i really like is one of the old 30's or maybe 40's version of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde...It was well done for its time and fairly creepy!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I must have watched The Exorcist 150 times now, it gets better every run through, I'm constantly analyzing and appreciating the subtleties and masterful pacing, it's the small details that make the film so glorious in its brutal and stark documentation of this profoundly unsettling series of events. The only other thing that comes close to the crushing intensity is The Shining, two completely different explorations of the horrific presented in contrasting ways but pack the same kind of bone jarring punch, two sledges full of gleeful dynamite.

I think seeing how the family unit is affected in both films by the macabre forces of the dark fantastical is what makes each a most compelling viewing, we're all humans after all watching other humans in extraordinary circumstances. With the shining they're plonked into some screwed up funhouse just waiting to torment the vulnerable three humans that've been through hell and thought they were getting a fresh start and much needed break up in the mountains... nope. Then in the exorcist, the young girl Regan is extremely lonely and impressionable and misses her father greatly, the mother is constantly working as an actress and very busy, Regan is well loved and cared for but longing all the same for greater companionship and in comes the demon with a convenient vendetta and we get the story of the exorcist's soon to be assistant local father karras who also has problems of his own... so much is set up around the 'supernatural' components, it makes the interaction all the more meaningful and denser.

Edited by DancingCorpse
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That-one-girl's scream in it is still in my head. 

• Like 2

I didn't post on this? Where the heck was I?

Original Shining

Original Halloween

Evil Dead (for fun, the old ones...for scary, the new one)

Original Carrie

Jaws

Night of the Living Dead

The Exorcist

Alien (Aliens was also awesome, but there's nothing like the first time)

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre

And I have to make honorable mention for a few newer movies...

Cabin in the Woods

Babadook

The Abandoned (2006)

• Like 3

"Audition" young girl unmentionable torrid things happen, grows up, gets even.
"An American Werewolf in London"
"Kalifornia" (with a K ,)
"Natural Born Killers"
"Descent" (only the first one , not any of odd named copy-cats)
"The Island of Dr. Monreau"
"Alien"  hmm ? could have been Aliens, again no not the many odd named copy-cats
Not sure, I'm thinking its not a scary type but I thought "The Hateful Eight"
had suspense from the beginning to the end and I THOUGHT IT WAS SCARY!
Oh not for kids.
Pitch Black   the rest were terrible.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

Original Shining

Original Halloween

Original Carrie

Jaws

Night of the Living Dead

The Exorcist

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Cabin in the Woods

Babadook

The Abandoned (2006)

Jaws is one of my all time favorites!

38 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

"Audition" young girl unmentionable torrid things happen, grows up, gets even.
"An American Werewolf in London"
"Kalifornia" (with a K ,)
"Natural Born Killers"
"Descent" (only the first one , not any of odd named copy-cats)
"The Island of Dr. Monreau"
"Alien"  hmm ? could have been Aliens, again no not the many odd named copy-cats
Not sure, I'm thinking its not a scary type but I thought "The Hateful Eight"
had suspense from the beginning to the end and I THOUGHT IT WAS SCARY!
Oh not for kids.
Pitch Black   the rest were terrible.

I forgot all about The Island of Dr. Monreau, excellent movie.

• Like 2

Yeah all actors were good, including makeup HA! to say the least, liked the psycho guy druggy type oh and that sweet little girl.

Which reminds me, a couple more I liked for scary YIKES! American Psycho , Misery , After Earth , Underworld (1st one only), Matrix (1st one only)
and Boggy Creek
Cabin in the woods I was with others and kids mmmm some hard scene(not  Love, certainly not whispering sweet nothings, couplings/copulating conjoining boogers etc. blah) I think near the beginning like as it started or some such and a bunch of us walked out.  The kids were not happy!
HOW DID I FORGET EXORCIST ?, the Shining THE BEST! and any year all of them especially the original FIRST ONE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD!

ONe other were a young woman keeps walking on a road to Mt. Hood in the Fog(seemed like because I was there in an exact like road on Mt. Hood ORE.) and anywayzzz she ended up in this small town, Later people were in a church? I forget much and even the name now oh well.

OH! Silent Hill ~ %D

YES! CrimsonKing the first two HELLRAISERS! and Grizzly and Jaws TOO!

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

On 1/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, ChaosRose said:

Original Shining

Original Halloween

Original Carrie

Jaws

Night of the Living Dead

The Exorcist

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Cabin in the Woods

Babadook

The Abandoned (2006)

Th Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was intense

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, KellyOn said:

I don't like horror movies. But once I saw "The ring"...

Couldn't speep that night)

I agree with that; I see no point in paying good money to have my blood pressured raised.  It's too high now.  They don't bother my sleep though, I guess because I quickly forget them.  It's a little like travel, which I hate -- although I just love getting wherever I'm going -- paying good money for the privilege of waiting in line over and over and being treated like an object (the personnel you encounter, if employed by the airline, are always obsequious; if not (such as airport personal or passport checkers) they are self-important and rude.

I guess this post is out of place, but travel is a sort of horror movie.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MamaMia1981

Oooo, boy.  Let's see...

The Shining (I've watched it a million times, still don't really understand it, which lends to it's creepiness)

Silent Hill

Insidious (The first one, the next 2 are okay)

Sinister 1 & 2

The Ring

Donnie Darko

Fire in the Sky (that scene on the UFO tho)

Gravity (The opening scene is absolutely terrifying to me)

There are more, but my brain is too fogged by DayQuil.

12 minutes ago, MamaMia1981 said:

The Shining (I've watched it a million times, still don't really understand it, which lends to it's creepiness)

If you wanna go further down the "trabbit-hole" you should really have a look at this documentary about The Shining:

A subjective documentary that explores the numerous theories about the hidden meanings within 'Stanley Kubrick (I)' 's Kubrick''s film The Shining (1980). The film may be over 30 years old but it continues to inspire debate, speculation, and mystery. Five very different points of view are illuminated through voice over, film clips, animation and dramatic reenactments. Together they'll draw the audience into a new maze, one with endless detours and dead ends, many ways in, but no way out.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 6:20 PM, MamaMia1981 said:

oo, a couple others that came to mind:

As Above, So Below

The Signal

Excellent choices MamaMia1981

• Like 1

A couple of new horror movies coming out this year that I would like to see are "Amityville the Awakening" with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bella Thorne which comes out in June and "Alien: Covenant" with Michael Fassbender and Katherine Watson which comes out in May. Here are the trailers for both.

Amity: 

Alien: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...