Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocodiles sleep with one eye watching

Still Waters

Crocodiles can sleep with one eye open, according to a study from Australia.

In doing so they join a list of animals with this ability, which includes some birds, dolphins and other reptiles.

Writing in the Journal of Experimental Biology, the researchers say the crocs are probably sleeping with one brain hemisphere at a time, leaving one half of the brain active and on the lookout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-34572433

• Like 2

That's actually really interesting. I wonder if human brains could be conditioned to use one hemisphere to sleep and the other hemisphere to remain active?

• Like 2

I'm not sure, but I have heard of people who sleep with both eyes open, although I've never met one.

• Like 1

#nuclearwessel: yeah great but not for me when i am done after my usual 14 hour hospital workday, i just want to go totally out! The idea of having one eye open. For what? Darn my brain needs to process all the misery i encountered at the er first!

• Like 1

Why do crocodiles need to sleep with only one eye open "to look out for threats" when they are usually at the top or near the top of the food chain and are predators in every ecosystem?

Why do crocodiles need to sleep with only one eye open "to look out for threats" when they are usually at the top or near the top of the food chain and are predators in every ecosystem?

Lots of things eat baby crocs.

• Like 1

Old new of sorts as birds and fish also sleep with one eye or eyes open. Since avians may be descendants of reptiles, this similarity would be expected. Hey, Dinosaurs had a Hard Life. :cat: