Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The "Blackest Material" Ever

Anomalocaris

Scientists Have Produced the Blackest Material Ever

The new material, developed by researchers from Saudi Arabia’s King Abdulla University of Science and Technology, is built up using carbon nanotubes to help absorb the light. In fact, it’s made from a series of small nanoparticle spheres, each of which has a nano-cylinder resting on top of it.

arrow3.gifRead more

Edited by Anomalocaris

Well, you learn something new every day.

Is it important that we have something that's blacker than all other black things? Is this something we've been striving for?

• Like 2

Is it important that we have something that's blacker than all other black things? Is this something we've been striving for?

It is not a huge milestone, but it is potentially useful in solar energy-related applications. The material is black because it absorbs all the light that hits it, and does not reflect anything.

IF the energy absorbed can be converted into electricity, then a layer of this material could be part of a very efficient solar cell. Current solar cells are only able to use a portion of the available light.

However that is a pretty big "if".

• Like 5

Is it Darker than Black?

Cause now I just want to paint it red.

....or wait......isn't it the other way around.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 1

So how does it compare to "Windowless room with well-fitted door" as a color? Is there a limit to how much dark we can perceive?

• Like 2

Neat! How did they turn the soul of a politician into physical matter?

BTW I saw this online well over a year ago, this is not news.

• Like 5

"darkets"

Can't people at CNN spell?

Also, the darkest thing in the world is my soul.

Edited by Troublehalf
  • Like 1

That would be like a cloak of invisibility at night.

• Like 1

Haha... only 99%? last year, june 2014 the same company said they made it 99.965%.

giphy.gif

Edited by Captain Dumass
  • Like 1

Well, you learn something new every day.

One use for this material will be for the inside of night vision goggles. I used to work at a mil-spec circuit board shop (before the traitor clinton shipped all those jobs abroad through NAFTA) All inner workings on night vision goggles must be black and as non-reflective as possible. So this material will probably make night vision goggles a bit better. I'm sure that is just one of many uses for very dark non-reflective materials.

A mini black hole for light. Cool.

That was a British company actually:

Yes, its a company in Surrey, England.

I have NO idea why people would think its was arabian. Arabians even tries to take credit for the numerical system wich originates from India (Hindu). I guess they think... close enough. But in the dark matter case i think Surrey is not close enough for them to take credit for it ;-)

Edited by Captain Dumass
  • Like 1