Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SEA MONSTER captured on camera

seeder

Mystery of the deep: Tourist baffled by bizarre SEA MONSTER captured on camera in Corfu

Harvey Robertson was on a boat trip and took the pictures inside a cave

He only noticed the animal in the water when he looked at his snaps later

Experts have been unable to identify the creature which looks mythological

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3291841/Mystery-deep-Tourist-baffled-bizarre-SEA-MONSTER-photobombed-holiday-snaps-Corfu.html#ixzz3prwIHBYD

I dunno, it reminds me of something...

• Like 1

He discovered a sea hippo dolphin! To me it seems like possibly a pretty intelligent and curious species. Very cool!

My best guest is a type of sea cow? Without the odd snout i would think it a manatee anyways...

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 6

Manatee? Dugong? Are there either of those things in and around the Ionian Islands? If not, looks like a blurry picture of a dolphin.

• Like 2

A part of me feels that he photographed a reflection of his own arm, certainly for the rear of the creature. If you ignore the fact his hand looks like a hippo, the rest of the creature looks like the underarm leading to the elbow and even a fold in the skin where forearm meets bicep, and then to the bottom left of the photo it is almost like you can see a reflection of a hand with fingers.

I am not saying that is what it is, but it could be easy to fake something by sticking on a hippo glove puppet and capturing the reflection.

It always cracks me up that "Experts are unable to identify....". :td:

• Like 3

Something looks very wrong around the snout end......it looks like someones gone at it with the eraser tool in Photoshop, leaving a blurred, yet crisp line.

• Like 1

cardborasaurus

• Like 5

The bubbles are small and so might the object as it is not disturbing the water yet close enough to the surface to reflect the flash. Or, might we simply doing the human anthropomorphic trick of assigning physical characteristics because we think we see a face.

• Like 2

But it is often the case, not cause they don't know, but because one photo isn't enough. You go "Marine Biologist, here is a single picture. What is it?", then going "Well, I don't really know, I'd need more information...." will be written as "Experts don't know". Which isn't untrue, but it's disingenuous. You can't identify creatures, especially 'new creatures', based just on pictures. It's why pictures of Bigfoot, Yeti or Loch Ness Monster won't constitute an "identification". You need to do PERSONAL identification.

Furthermore, all you need to do is get one expert to go "Not really sure" or "I don't know" and viola, you've got 'truth' to write and make a better article.

So, while your cynicism might seem fun to you, it's pretty silly to think "This is wrong. All experts know what it is. LIARS!" - Simply because that's not how identification works, or journalism works or so on. Just like "Experts" go "9/11 was totally an inside job, I'm a ex-engineer and it was blown up by C4! Buy my book to find out!". It means nothing. That's not how journalism works. You send an email, ask for identification, get a message back, then either twist it or lie.

• Like 2

Looks like a proto-dolphin to me; or at least a branch of that family of animals. Apparently friendly and curious, they need to send in National Geographic!

• Like 2

A possible juvenile Megalodon. Reminds me of the one reported off the coast of Iceland.

I figure if they actually did ask any professional, they probably more likely went

That picture is too blurry for a positive identification, but it looks like a Dolphin or type of whale.

Which was then reinterpreted as "We don't know" omitting the rest.

• Like 6

Thought ut was a sperm whale, then dolphin, then you can get dophins that look like whales and then whales look like dolphins

But it is often the case, not cause they don't know, but because one photo isn't enough. You go "Marine Biologist, here is a single picture. What is it?", then going "Well, I don't really know, I'd need more information...." will be written as "Experts don't know". Which isn't untrue, but it's disingenuous. You can't identify creatures, especially 'new creatures', based just on pictures. It's why pictures of Bigfoot, Yeti or Loch Ness Monster won't constitute an "identification". You need to do PERSONAL identification.

Furthermore, all you need to do is get one expert to go "Not really sure" or "I don't know" and viola, you've got 'truth' to write and make a better article.

So, while your cynicism might seem fun to you, it's pretty silly to think "This is wrong. All experts know what it is. LIARS!" - Simply because that's not how identification works, or journalism works or so on. Just like "Experts" go "9/11 was totally an inside job, I'm a ex-engineer and it was blown up by C4! Buy my book to find out!". It means nothing. That's not how journalism works. You send an email, ask for identification, get a message back, then either twist it or lie.

No, we are laughing because in 9 out of 10 cases like this, these 'experts' are just armchair scientists.

Gotta admit, that's an interesting photo. No telling how many sea creatures that we have no idea even exists. We still have a lot of unexplored ocean. But why they would call it a "sea monster" is plain retarded. Why not just call it "strange creature" or "strange species". It would give it more credibility.

• Like 2

For once, something in the water ain't paredolia. I like the beaked whale answer, but would be happier if there was any sense of scale. Maybe the reason it looks "mythological" is because it's a direct inspiration for several aquatic mythological creatures. This is a really cool picture, but doesn't need to be described as an all-caps SEA MONSTER.

• Like 1

Yet, if one goes and does 15 minutes of online research, you find that you can eliminate 95% of possibiliities, and once you have your choices down to one, the answer can only be that it is X, or it new creature Y. So then what are the chances of a brand new species of dolphin/whale living in the waters off of Greece? Maybe one in a million? Where are the rest of them, then? There has to be a breeding population, right? At least a couple dozen... yet we only have the one photo.

Or... we can see from the description of a beaked whale that their appearance is highly variable, and yet observe that they pic matches 90% (at least) of the description of a beaked whale.

So what an Expert might say is, "Well, I'm not sure, but I'd say 95% that this must be a beaked whale?" and that turns into "Experts stumped on identification....". Which is what cracks me up. Does that longer post clear up my opinion?