Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guns in Europe

Mantis914

While we here in the US argue back and forth about gun control, this is going on in Europe. I know I've seen and more than likely been involved in the clashes we have here in UM regarding guns where as a lot of those on the anti-gun side were in Europe among other places. So, I gotta ask: Is this that dire of a situation out there for this change of mind to be happening and if it is, why in the hell isn't the media reporting any of this?? Any of our European members been affected by this so far?

http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/islamic-invasion-pulls-trigger-europeans-scramble-for-guns/

• Like 2

While we here in the US argue back and forth about gun control, this is going on in Europe. I know I've seen and more than likely been involved in the clashes we have here in UM regarding guns where as a lot of those on the anti-gun side were in Europe among other places. So, I gotta ask: Is this that dire of a situation out there for this change of mind to be happening and if it is, why in the hell isn't the media reporting any of this?? Any of our European members been affected by this so far?

http://www.wnd.com/2...amble-for-guns/

Main reason is there is not enough gun violence for the media to jump on it.

The Hebdo attack and foiled train assault shine a light on how bad guns can be in a civilized country when wielded by maniacs.

• Like 1

actually this article makes me mad ... those who are against isis starting to behave just like isis ... and more women buy firearms hhhhhhh really i laugh . i say it again and again many places of the arab world are tourist places and we have tourists pouring in at all times ... we dont see mass rape here and men are used to seeing undressed females . We have all nationalities here in our world but strange in europe they turn into beats ..i dont get it ...we have many single females from Austria in Tunisia strange that they dont arm themselves here they rather seem to enjoy the attention of the young tunisian males ...

Edited by YA AMAR
  • Like 1

The article greatly distorts the situation in Europe (especially eastern Europe) in an obvious play to elicit sympathy for gun ownership by way of fear-mongering. The article is also hugely prejudicial towards Muslims to the point it is effectively stoking/inciting aggression towards Muslims, the vast majority of whom are ordinary, peaceful people just as are those holding to any other form of religious belief, or being non-religious.

We do hear some outcry over the recent influx of refugees from the ME, but this outcry is largely from right-wing nationalistic organisations who pander to prejudices and the prejudiced people which make up their fanbase. The majority of Europeans see this recent migration as a humanist issue, not a "Muslim issue", nor do the vast majority of Europeans particularly fear a small rise in the population of Muslims living in their societies.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

It's WND. WND is unreliable.

Here's a link to Austria's gun laws (gun ownership is restricted: http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/austria)

If you want to find out what they are thinking, simply read Austrian newspapers (run it through a translation service) or look at the less-biased BBC reporting in English here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/austria/

It's WND. WND is unreliable.

Here's a link to Austria's gun laws (gun ownership is restricted: http://www.gunpolicy.../region/austria)

If you want to find out what they are thinking, simply read Austrian newspapers (run it through a translation service) or look at the less-biased BBC reporting in English here: http://www.telegraph...europe/austria/

Not only that, according to my contacts the "empty gun stores" are plain BS made up on the go.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 1

Soon be illegal to own a plastic BB gun here in Scotland. Our elders and betters can keep their shotguns though. I reckon they are wise to keep them.

• Like 1

Soon be illegal to own a plastic BB gun here in Scotland. Our elders and betters can keep their shotguns though. I reckon they are wise to keep them.

I reckon that the best society is the society where nobody needs a gun... except to go hunting, of course

• Like 1

Guest Br Cornelius

If you are looking for an opinion on guns in Europe from an American conservative blogpage you are going to get a really badly skewed sense of what is important to us Europeans.

I have seen no indication of a scramble for gun across Europe.

Br Cornelius

I reckon that the best society is the society where nobody needs a gun... except to go hunting, of course

Those moor haggis are tough wee beasties, as well as being vicious man-killers alongside the likes of the Australian dropbear - and you need more than an air rifle to bring one down!

• Like 3

Those moor haggis are tough wee beasties, as well as being vicious man-killers alongside the likes of the Australian dropbear - and you need more than an air rifle to bring one down!

sorry but what are moor haggis :blush:

People enjoy hunting other people. People like dangerous things that go bang.

sorry but what are moor haggis :blush:

English poofs.

• Like 1

People enjoy hunting other people. People like dangerous things that go bang.

English poofs.

i learned a great deal tonight about food hhhh so i guess english poof is just more food english food :blush:

English poofs.

:lol:

English poofs.

I can laugh at this because I'm not English! :D:lol:

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

English poofs.

If we're talking about concerns over migrants, I'm putting the Scots right to the top of the list after that one! :P

Thanks didn't know this, as I said before the migrants aren't the dangerous ones it is the European population who engages in an atmosphere of fear and hate even though they have everything any human desires.... Seems another dark decade is rising.

I don't like to state prophecy but as a welsh druid myrddin said: a lot of peopel from foreign countries will come to Europe and the people will be afraid and because of their fear they will lose their ability to fly free.

So if fear and hate drives people only tensions and conflict will rise.

edit: Actually he makes a causation between refugees and gun buyers, but in Austria the far right is on the rise and people are afraid of them there are two groups of people, the ones who fear another naziregime and others who support the far right. It could be because of this people in Austria buy guns, the article states that women buy the most guns it is also women who primary vote for the Green party, which is left. So he claims it is because of the refugees while he doesn't deliver any evidence.

Edited by hellwyr
  • Like 1

it is the European population who engages in an atmosphere of fear and hate even though they have everything any human desires....

Hold on a minute, I just need to ring the bell for a serf. I can't be bothered climbing off my throne of gold to get a refill of the old Moet & Chandon...

For someone who claims to be against prejudice, you seem awfully biased in your views sometimes. Maybe you should aquaint yourself with the working class population of respective nations in Europe, you know, the people like nurses in England who live below the poverty line and have to resort to food banks each month to put food into their childrens' mouths. Not everyone lives in the land of milk and honey.

Maybe I shouldn't laugh off the "English poofs" comment so easily either. I'm getting pretty ******g tired of reading racist this, bigot that in every section of these forums, yet when it comes to sentiment towards the English, I sometimes feel like we're still being punished for historical events from decades and centuries ago.

• Like 1

Theres not much of a gun culture in Europe. Guns are seen as tools to do a job here, not a way of life like in the US. Many also see them as a coward's weapon, which they are really :)

Edited by Finity

Theres not much of a gun culture in Europe. Guns are seen as tools to do a job here, not a way of life like in the US. Many also see them as a coward's weapon, which they are really :)

Call a 140 pound woman going against a 210 pound man a coward. There is an example of a big manly man right there.

• Like 1

Call a 140 pound woman going against a 210 pound man a coward. There is an example of a big manly man right there.

If that 140 pound woman has the ability to keep her wits about her and has some training in self-defence (martial arts), then the size of her assaulter is of little consequence because she should be quite capable of defending herself and either disabling the criminal or fleeing from/evading any assault.

As I said earlier, guns are a lazy replacement for having to learn to defend yourself, and learn to keep calm and think. Okay, you might argue "What about an 80 year-old granny. How is she supposed to defend herself?" The answer is "She shouldn't have to, others should defend her." But people are not prepared to help others, only stand around and gawp while the little old lady gets her bag snatched and pushed to the ground.

So, once again, guns are the "lazy, get-out clause replacement" for actually having to help those who are vulnerable.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 2

If that 140 pound woman has the ability to keep her wits about her and has some training in self-defence (martial arts), then the size of her assaulter is of little consequence because she should be quite capable of defending herself and either disabling the criminal or fleeing from/evading any assault.

I'm not getting into the gun debate. There seems to be nothing else on the forums at the minute.

Normally I respect your opinions Leo, and agree with much of what you say, but that is a pretty weak argument.

Having studied martial arts myself, I can say with little doubt that I only ever encountered one woman that would possibly have been able to withstand an attack from a large aggressive male. In fact, many of the guys I trained with would have had the same difficulty. It's a popular misconception that anyone with martial arts training is somehow a superman or superwoman. Most have a little discipline, and know a few 'tricks', but use martial arts primarily as a means of keeping mentally and physically fit. Only a select few would actually have the capacity to maintain the presence of mind, and have the physical ability to withstand excessive brute force.

• Like 4

As I said earlier, guns are a lazy replacement for having to learn to defend yourself, and learn to keep calm and think. Okay, you might argue "What about an 80 year-old granny. How is she supposed to defend herself?" The answer is "She shouldn't have to, others should defend her." But people are not prepared to help others, only stand around and gawp while the little old lady gets her bag snatched and pushed to the ground.

So, once again, guns are the "lazy, get-out clause replacement" for actually having to help those who are vulnerable.

I know quite a few independent, perfectly capable " 80 year-old grannys" that would be highly offended by that comment. Simply because someone's body has gotten frail does not mean they need to be "taken care of". They live alone and do rather well without help the majority of the time. They might have to hire someone to clean the gutters once a year or mow the lawn, but I dare you to tell them they are too feeble to live alone in their own home. They have guns too, and always have I might add, just in case someone decides to break into their house while they are home alone.

I have one friend, about 80 years old, that volunteers at a nursing home four days a week to help with the "elderly". :tu:

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

It's complete idiocy to face down an attacker on even terms. Why take that kind of stupid chance? Is there some sort of manly deficiency that one must do something so completely moronic?

So, explain the cowardice there. This ought to be enlightening. /sarcasm...