Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God have a "sense of humor"?

pallidin

For those of us that choose to believe in "God", I wonder if "God" has a sense of humor.

The reason I ask is that humans do, and can be extremely comforting.

• Like 1

If you want a serious answer, if God does exist I hope it doesn't even feel emotion. The last thing I want is for a God to be biased about anything.

• Like 3

There is no reason to believe so, but if you wish to believe it, there is no harm in that either. After all, whether or not you believe in God, if you want to use him for comfort, then it only makes sense to make him more human. The only time you want him all-powerful and uncaring is when you need him to condemn entire groups of people.

• Like 1

I was about to mention the Platypus ....

Take any Australian for that matter...

Lol... But seriously when was the last time any had a fit of laughter while reading the bible?

Edited by taniwha
  • Like 2

Okay, I'll be 'serious' then *sigh*...

Human beings have a very difficult time relating to an 'entity' who is without form or attribute (or one their limited mind/senses can perceive anyway).

The existence of 'God' can only be proven through experience and only by the person experiencing it...which is only just a stone's throw away from 'God doesn't exist at all'.

In my religion (Hinduism), God can appear either with or without form or 'human attribute', depending upon how spiritually advanced the seeker is.

We call the 'God with attribute', saguna and the 'God without attribute', nirguna.

The realisation of one aspect usually (but not always) leads on to the realisation of the other.

For example, I have heard the 'let's worship an inanimate object' debate and I totally agree...if anything is worshiped with full focus and a 'one-pointed mind', then over time...maybe many, many years (if at all) then the 'nirguna' aspect of the all-pervading consciousness (or Brahman) will be realised.

So, God can be 'anything you want' and can have a sense of humour...be an old, bearded man sitting on a cloud and playing a harp...God can be/do/have anything because God isn't even limited by those emotions we like to call...human. He just remains detached and unaffected by them.

So believing that God has a sense of humor isn't a bad thing....as long as it leads you to a better place believing it.

Edited by The Necromancer
  • Like 2

God definitely does have a sense of humour!

Take the platypus, for example:

platypus-head-closeup-animal-profile-web620.jpg?itok=SMj_8PDO

My first thought as well.

Proof god does not take the universe seriously.

• Like 2

Take any Australian for that matter...

Lol... But seriously when was the last time any had a fit of laughter while reading the bible?

It happened to me. I was hysterical when i read the part about how to properly sacrifice pidgeons in fire with flour, salt, oil and always make sure to give some to abrahams brother. Its hilarious.

• Like 5

If you want a serious answer, if God does exist I hope it doesn't even feel emotion. The last thing I want is for a God to be biased about anything.

Are you kidding.....I want god to mail me a card 2 twice a year talking only about how Great and Totally Awesome my RedBeard is.

• Like 1

For those of us that choose to believe in "God", I wonder if "God" has a sense of humor.

The reason I ask is that humans do, and can be extremely comforting.

Humor can work to benefit or to harm. We need to laugh at ourselves to stay human, we need to avoid laughing at others to do the same.

Our humor is a deeper mystery than we imagine, I imagine. Children find a kitten doing its antics very funny, as do adults, but other cats don't. We just find things funny and take it for granted that it is funny, but really it isn't. It's all in the head of a human. I wonder what aliens, when they come, will make of it.

I once wrote a short story (unpublished) about a society watched over by artificially intelligent beings, and the point was that it was easy to tell the difference between them and real humans because the humans had a sense of humor. I wonder if this helps or not. The AI beings had no opinion.

It would seem our humor evolved, for some reason -- I cannot imagine why. But then I can't imagine why a creator would provide such a thing either.

• Like 5

I wonder what aliens, when they come, will make of it.

We've been sending radio and TV signals into space for years...and all the aliens have to go on regarding our sense of humour are re-runs of "I love Lucy".

No wonder they have been avoiding us all this time...

Edited by The Necromancer
  • Like 3

1ST Samuel, chapter 6 is hilarious. The men of Israel lost a battle to the Philistines because of a lack of faith and the Philistines actually captured and removed the Ark of the Covenant. After a short while they were struck with the twin plagues of rats and hemorrhoids. Freaked them out so badly they returned the Ark with an offering of 5 golden rats and 5 golden hemorrhoids :w00t:

• Like 4

My first thought as well.

Proof god does not take the universe seriously.

and there is also proof he does....

jesus-between-man-and-the-cross.jpg

Edited by 029b10
  • Like 3

Yes...of course.

God laughed it's **** off when Pilgrims enacted Exodus 22:18.

post-142153-0-73854300-1446099887_thumb.

Edited by Paranoid Android
Removed off-topic, intentionally inflammatory images.
  • Like 1

I guess it depends on what think of as god. The God of the OT appears to be pompous, demanding, and downright mean. The God of NT seems to want to redeem himself, by putting humans on guilt trip. If the Abrahamic God has a sense of humor it a very dark one of pulling wings off flies kind of humor.

In modern Pagan thought yes, every time we hold a ritual and screw it up, we remind ourselves yes the Gods have a sense of humor. In my case, I have a sense of (twisted) humor, therefore the Universe has a sense of humor.

• Like 6

Well if God created man in his/her own image and has no sense of humor, then how do you explain some of the funniest comedians in the world?

Of course God has a sense of humor.

• Like 3

I don't know about god, but the Bible has some interesting puns:

The name "Moses" is said to mean "Drawn from the water" in Hebrew and it is a perfectly good Egyptian name meaning "Child." The "daughter of Pharaoh" named the baby "Child" because she "drew him from the water." What - an Egyptian princess speaks Hebrew?

The spring was named "Marah" because it was bitter. "Marah" means "bitter."

When Moses showed the people "manna" they asked "Man hu?" - "What is it?" Moses replied "it is the bread you will eat." Manna is an Egyptian bread made from malted wheat.

And so on...

Doug

• Like 2

He's got a killer sense of humor.

• Like 5

We've been sending radio and TV signals into space for years...and all the aliens have to go on regarding our sense of humour are re-runs of "I love Lucy".

No wonder they have been avoiding us all this time...

It's funny, but coincidentally I was reflecting on the movie, 'Galaxy Quest' and how the Thermians is it, who believed that tv shows were 'historical documentaries' of close to that. I giggle every time of the scene of when the innocent aliens were that they seriously believed if 'Giligan's Island' was, and the looks on their faces were priceless. :D

Anyhow, on the note of the thread, if God wanted to bless his children with a sense of humor, to make life a bit fun, then I would think he would be humorous himself. What's the saying, God made man in his likeness? ;):)

Oh my personal feeling, I feel that a higher power would be at the utmost very serious when it comes to how life works. Sometimes, and I do experience this at times, jokes and such don't always work out the way you want it. ;)

If we're assuming that a deity exists, for a moment, I'd imagine that it probably would be able to conceptualize humour. But, it depends on the god. I think any god from a monotheistic religion would have to be able to feel humour, since it would have created the concept. A polytheistic religion would be different, though. I could see Aranyani, Saraswati, or Ganesha having a sense of humour, but Brahma and Kali probably wouldn't due to lack of attachment for Brahma and Kali being an unquenchable murder-machine.

Since god can supposedly feel other emotions. It might be possible that it has a sense of humor. Maybe it get's it's jolly's from murder and torture. Perhaps god's a sadist? Or at least the person who came up with him was.

If we're assuming that a deity exists, for a moment, I'd imagine that it probably would be able to conceptualize humour. But, it depends on the god. I think any god from a monotheistic religion would have to be able to feel humour, since it would have created the concept. A polytheistic religion would be different, though. I could see Aranyani, Saraswati, or Ganesha having a sense of humour, but Brahma and Kali probably wouldn't due to lack of attachment for Brahma and Kali being an unquenchable murder-machine.

Even though Buddha isn't technically a 'God'...just 'God realised', we often see him like this:

M_Id_72210_Laughing_Buddha.jpg

Something must be amusing Buddha to make Him laugh so.

As for the Indian Gods 'sense of humour'...you are right, Kali, Brahma and Shiva have basically none, but the others have a very 'subtle' sense of humour that only comes through sometimes....however...Krishna is known for it!

If god is a real evolved and self aware being, then, like humans, it will have emotions and be able to think using emotions. But as humans are learning, logic and non biased thought is a more efficient and workable way of living and improving Thus a being as old and evolved as god would long ago have mastered its emotions, be aware of and eliminated its biases, its biases and be able to think and act objectively. Humans can do this with a little bit of effort and training, so why not a more evolved sapient being?