Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the universe go on forever ?

UM-Bot

Does the universe go on forever ?

2.jpg

Click here to watch video

A young thinker asks Bill Nye the Science Guy about the scale of the universe.

This universe is either:

1. Infinitely large.

2. Finitely large.

3. Has no fixed size.

4. Is as big as your awareness of it.

5. Doesn't exist.

This universe is either:

1. Infinitely large.

2. Finitely large.

3. Has no fixed size.

4. Is as big as your awareness of it.

5. Doesn't exist.

6. It's pie.

• Like 2

I wonder when we will reach the limit of our understanding.

If its not infinite then how/what would the boundaries be created/made of?

That's one of those questions that can only ever be answered by speculation.

Could be pie, though.

• Like 3

I think, if the Universe's shape is flat, it is mathematically infinite. Also, space is expanding in such a way that the farther out you look, the faster space is receding from you. So, in this sense, ultimately you get an infinite Universe, even though the Universe is only 13.8 billion years old, and it has had only this much time to expand.

I also think, if the Universe is finite in size so that it does have a boundary, the boundary would be everywhere, since the Universe is expanding at an equal rate everywhere. Also, because of the total gravity of such a universe, traveling in a straight line in any direction, you would follow a three-dimensional geodesic, wherein you would just travel round and round the finite Universe, never coming to a boundary.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2

it must, but it can't, so it does, but it must remain within itself somehow .. all i can ever think of is a circle, or circles, or some configuration that returns upon itself. i think the entire universe may be right [here]

"Infinite" isn't really a capacity we beings in possession of mind need to concern outselves with, so why would "the substance of it's (imagined) end" be?

Why wouldn't space go on forever? It makes perfect sense. If there was no consciousness or even life itself, why would the infinite void we call space cease to exist? It wouldn't. It's there, has always been there, and always will be there. You cannot fill up or remove the vastness of space. I'm not speaking of matter, only the void itself into which the stars are expanding.

it's inconceivable ... I was watching a program about the first seconds after the BB ... how a single unified force (ENERGY) was split up into the 4 known forces and how particles and matter formed as Energy cooled enough. All within seconds.

They were speaking of how it's not an expansion of 'stuff' into space... but an expansion of space/time itself. {we've all heard that?)

i actually wonder if there is such a thing as space or even time.... but instead , what we think of as 'space ' is actually energy fields and both space and time are Results of movement of energy ... and matter is transformed energy.

i dunno, of course, but it just seems like We are missing something very fundamental ... and things are not as they seem.

?¿?

"Infinite" isn't really a capacity we beings in possession of mind need to concern outselves with, so why would "the substance of it's (imagined) end" be?

All i was suggesting was that if the universe is not of an infinite nature then by definition it must have boundaries,