Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pyramid scans announced

poppet

Pyramid non-intrusive scans announced, Jean Pierre Houdin theory of hidden chambers is about to be tested.

Entitled Scan Pyramids, an international project to uncover the secrets of the pyramids, is to be implemented at the end of October, Egypt's antiquities minister revealed to Ahram Online in an exclusive interview.

Mamdouh Eldamaty said that the project aims to solve the enigma of the Old Kingdom pyramids at Dahshur and Giza and to provide a better understanding of their architecture and interior designs.

The project, Eldamaty continued, will also provide 3D photos and a detailed study of pyramidal architecture in Egypt.

http://english.ahram...o-Ahram-On.aspx

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length.
  • Like 5

Good stuff!

• Like 1

They are calling it "The Year of the Pyramids" (2016) but the report from the Mena House conference also highlights that this is part of the effort to get tourists back to Egypt. Hawass (and some others, notably some geologists who have worked with the technology) are skeptical... I'm skeptical of the usefulness of the infrared scans myself.

HOWEVER... I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. It will undoubtedly show some areas that they'll want to focus on.

• Like 2

Infrared technology cannot show the interior of most materials. There are a few things transparent to IR.

http://irinformir.blogspot.com/2009/10/ir-transparent-materials-for-windows.html

http://www.asu.edu/courses/phs208/patternsbb/PiN/rdg/silicon/

What infrared can show is places where air inside of the pyramid is coming out. A similar idea is used with caves. On cold days the air coming out of caves is warm and moist and condenses to form a small cloud. It may be possible to find passageways near the surface due to air movement.

• Like 1

Assistant Professor Kunihiro Morishima of Nagoya University explained how he and his Japanese colleagues deploy a device that uses elementary particles called muons to help researcher peer inside the pyramids.
Muons are created when cosmic rays collide with the Earth's atmosphere.
The particles can easily pass through hard structures such as pyramids and provide clear internal images like an X-ray examination.
The technology has been applied to probe volcanic activities inside mountains and the damaged reactors at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
Morishima said using the technology in various fields, including the project in Egypt, can provide a wealth of knowledge.
  • Like 3

IR technology is not likely to reveal much except for temperature fluctuations at the surface, but such analysis may be of interest to researchers. Much more useful is muons analysis. This can and will show all kinds of interior details. I've mentioned it in other threads but this technology was applied to G2 many years ago (in the 1970s, I believe) and showed no secret chambers or other unusual voids in that pyramid. But the technology was subsequently focused on ancient structures in Mesoamerica, and to my knowledge was not used again in Egypt. Imagine how far the technology has advanced since the 1970s, so it should be truly interesting to see what transpires in 2016.

Kenemet, I take with a grain of salt most of the skepticism shown by Hawass. He has no real advanced scientific background and doesn't seem to understand much about it. His strengths are in archaeology and research. He has publicly poo-pooed C14 dating, even though it's part and parcel of archaeological analysis, and originally he expressed great doubt over the usefulness of genetic testing of mummies—only to do an about-face and enthusiastically supporting it in the genetic testing of the Amarna mummies.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this isn't the infrared testing that would show how they were actually built.

Instead they are merely looking for moree chambers that would contain gold. They're

more worried about increasing tourism by finding gold that might be there than they are

concerned with science or knowledge.

• Like 1

IR technology is not likely to reveal much except for temperature fluctuations at the surface, but such analysis may be of interest to researchers. Much more useful is muons analysis. This can and will show all kinds of interior details. I've mentioned it in other threads but this technology was applied to G2 many years ago (in the 1970s, I believe) and showed no secret chambers or other unusual voids in that pyramid. But the technology was subsequently focused on ancient structures in Mesoamerica, and to my knowledge was not used again in Egypt. Imagine how far the technology has advanced since the 1970s, so it should be truly interesting to see what transpires in 2016.

Kenemet, I take with a grain of salt most of the skepticism shown by Hawass. He has no real advanced scientific background and doesn't seem to understand much about it. His strengths are in archaeology and research. He has publicly poo-pooed C14 dating, even though it's part and parcel of archaeological analysis, and originally he expressed great doubt over the usefulness of genetic testing of mummies—only to do an about-face and enthusiastically supporting it in the genetic testing of the Amarna mummies.

Unfortunately there probably isn't much improvement in this technology since the '60's

when it was first employed in G2. In fact results to date were just published quite recently

and shoulds be readily accessible to a search engine;

Here's mine;

http://www2.lns.mit....rezPyramids.pdf

Big improvements could exist in the computer softwarew and hardware to interpret results

but the problem with using this technology is that even a 3' x 6' transducer will only intercept

about 200,000 particles a year and they contain too little information to paint a complete pic-

ture in the short term.

It's not really possible to see things as subtle as ramps even in a million years of information.

Of course there were never any ramps so there will never be any supporting proof anyway. ;)

Edited to add that in theory more sensitive or larger transducers could make the previous

statements false.

Edited by cladking

Unfortunately this isn't the infrared testing that would show how they were actually built.

Instead they are merely looking for moree chambers that would contain gold. They're

more worried about increasing tourism by finding gold that might be there than they are

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought it was the former.

Well, if Zahi Hawass and his people have anything to do with it, it wont matter much.

Hawass is not involved. It's the current minister of Antiquities. He's quite passionate about it.

Kenemet, I take with a grain of salt most of the skepticism shown by Hawass.

I would, too... except that he made some excellent points -- to wit; no major underground discoveries in Egypt have been made using either technology. On the EK Emya list there was some skepticism shown along this line - one geologist claiming that the area is not good for finding real underground chambers since the limestone is riddled with cavelets.

But I'm interested to see what turns up. I do wonder who put this plan together, though.

There is no IR testing that would show how a pyramid was built. This has been explained to you many times. IR cannot penetrate extremely dense structures. I appreciate the PDF to which you linked us, but it remains true that the most promising technology is muon analysis. This is a proven method for studying the interior architecture of any building no matter what it's composed of and no matter how dense its masonry is. That is the advantage of firing these cosmic particles through the structure.

And I highly doubt their objective is to look for gold (although the discovery of such would be a wonderful bonus). The stated goal is to study the details of the interiors of pyramids, which has not been possible short of de-construction prior to muon analysis. The hope is to obtain a better understanding of construction and architecture.

This is exactly the sort of science which you have been hoping for, for years now. I expected you to be more excited by this. It will not provide evidence for ramps, unless they're internal per Houdin's theory, and it will not provide evidence for geyser technology, for which there is no evidence at all, but it is bound to answer a lot of old questions. And cause new ones to be asked. But that is the nature of science.

Of course there were never any ramps so there will never be any supporting proof anyway. ;)

Edited to add that in theory more sensitive or larger transducers could make the previous

statements false.

!

Cladking is admitting that his 'never any ramps' theory could be false ! ..... ! ..... !

:tsu:

Looks like 5 years of chaos and civil war has had one benefit - getting rid of Hawass and enabling actual scientific examination.

• Like 2

And I highly doubt their objective is to look for gold (although the discovery of such would be a wonderful bonus). The stated goal is to study the details of the interiors of pyramids, which has not been possible short of de-construction prior to muon analysis. The hope is to obtain a better understanding of construction and architecture.

This is exactly the sort of science which you have been hoping for, for years now. I expected you to be more excited by this. It will not provide evidence for ramps, unless they're internal per Houdin's theory, and it will not provide evidence for geyser technology, for which there is no evidence at all, but it is bound to answer a lot of old questions. And cause new ones to be asked. But that is the nature of science.

Seeing anything smaller than large cavities is unlikely. Certainly internal ramps would show up

but this isn't what they're looking for and few Egyptologists support Houdin.

Yes, I want them to do science but I don't see that seeking support of the existing paradigm or

looking for gold is necessarily science. They need to gather data just like Petrie did and they

need to invent testing that would return different results dependent on initial conditions related

to the means by which the pyramids were built. Almost no work whatsoever has been done a-

long these lines.

There's no question internal ramps would show up on a prolonged infrared exposure. I think

people would be surprised at the subtle features that would show up under ideal conditions. Ev-

en a spiral ramp should show up if one were used but every test to date shows horizontal and

vertical lines because they pulled the stones straight up the side so there were no ramps that

were spiral or otherwise.

But how wonderful if it did show something !

Hang on !

Isnt there a ramp right up the middle of one ? :w00t:

freedo29.jpg

That is suppose to be a Gallery ~

`

ramp 1

(rămp)n.

An inclined surface or roadway connecting different levels.

gallery

ˈɡal(ə)ri/

noun

a room or building for the display or sale of works of art.

"an art gallery"

synonyms: exhibition room, display room,

"his paintings were bought by a London gallery"

[*]

a balcony or upper floor projecting from an interior back or side wall of a hall or church, providing space for an audience or musicians.

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 1

The Grand Gallery is always a good example because it was almost certainly used as a construction ramp during the course of raising the pyramid.

In fact, there used to be a hieratic graffito on the wall that translates roughly as "Ramps rule!" But it wore away long ago due to the sweaty hands of flabby tourists.

All right, I made up that last part. Or did I?

• Like 8

Finally, I have it figured out. They raised the blocks, not by a ramp (because there were non ), they put the blocks in a gallery - a balcony off a side wall, and the blocks and the musicians in the gallery, and all the exhibits, sculptures and works of art, flew up the (in)side of the pyramid !

9780520267169.jpg