Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing 3 knocks while sleeping

juicyjuice

sorry i hit the wrong button before my blog on previous--about the 3 knocks--over the past several years,while in a slumber state--almost asleep or sometimes a deep sleep--I hear 3 rapid knocks that wake me up----so disturbing i jump up like someone is knocking right beside me.I have seen that others have had this happen and it amazes me.I thought i was the only one.I hope someone can help explain this---it happens maybe twice or 3 times per month--its very alarming.

How can you hear them when in a deep sleep?

• Like 1

Apparently the three knocks represents the mocking of the holy trinity. That doesn't resonate with me because I'm virtually a atheist. Maybe you should run a voice recorded to validate it from fact or fiction. That is my suggestion.

How can you hear them when in a deep sleep?

He wasn't in deep sleep on every occasion according to his account.. I've encountered the same with a voice and recorded it in real time.

Edited by evp
  • Like 1

Lucid dreaming?

No, but autumn school holidays.

• Like 1

interesting....in my flat, i experience violent banging on my walls, literally every time i play loud music...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I dont know about three knocks but i think i know what you mean. Sometimes i hear what sounds like an echoey knocking sound when suddenly pulling out of a deep sleep or a dream and waking up. Only its not really an audible sound i would even say maybe from within your head if that doesn't sound crazy.

Ok now that i read the links i see that you were serious. I have exploding head syndrome then. You learn something new every day.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

There was a thread ike this a few years back. I read it, wondering myself what it could be. Then a few days later I heard three knocks. Turns out, and I think the solution was in the thread, it was a bird that knocks three times, pecking at something I suppose. The noise came from my attic, and birds indeed were able to get in there.

If you're into the paranormal, some believe that demons perform in threes. I'm not saying that's what is is though, just something I've read.

Knocks, stomping feet, shuffling. It's related to altered state phenominons during sleep paralysis and in between states of conciousness. It always related to somone/thing moveing towards or wanting access to your dwelling. This is a primal fear in my opinion born of our vulnerability while sleeping.

The phenominon is very old and recorded in native American oral traditions and ancient Chinese manuscripts alike. The cool part is when you learn to answer the knock and meet the knocker.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read that the "three knocks" was a recently dead loved one, who was telling you that they had passed on peacefully. But considering that you hear the knocks on a regular basis, this may not be the case here.

• Like 1

Maybe it is a loved one or something, which is good. I haven't been plagued like some I guess, but occasionally I've been asleep and woken up, pretty much out of a solid sleep, thinking I heard someone call me or knocking on the door, to the point where I called back, loudly or got up to go to the door and answer it, and nobody is there. I never really expected to be someone that had that happen, but it is, afterall, said to be fairly common. Just the vestigates of dream fragments, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I've personally never had any auditory paranormal experiences, but I've had some visual ones. So I may not be the best person to talk to about the knocks.

• 2 years later...

Last night I was sound asleep. I heard 3 loud knocks. I even jumped UP!!  It sounded like it was coming from my window. I thought it was my son knocking so I waited n nothing. It was about to be 4 am. I checked the cameras n they weren't working. Cameras was pitch black. I was really scared I text my hubby cause he works nights. He thought it was weird. I guess somehow I knocked out. Then another noise woke me up around 630am. It sounded like they were tapping on my window I got up quick checked n nothing was there. Idk... 2 weeks ago this happen to my husband well we were both asleep n It woke us up...Im starting t

Spoiler

o think itd

paranormal.. 

If it keeps up you could just do a simple banishment. 

You can use something from your own belief system, or you can find the LBRP youtube.

Edited by ChaosRose

@Californialove

Welcome aboard.

Maybe these little gals and guys:

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/white-breasted-nuthatch

It is amazing how loud inside the house it can get when they're on the outside looking for food.

I'm starting to actually get used to hearing odds things upon waking. Normally I hear my name called. Usually its a mans voice yelling my name, like they need help. It was pretty freaky the first few times.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had this a lot. Not knocking, sometimes sounds but mostly voices, talking, mur murs.. I kind of miss it. (it's been a while since it was a near weekly thing.)

I Genuinely believe that, in my cases they were attempts to communicate.. Wont say by whom, except to say that in many of these cases they were perceived as  folks I've known to have passed on, or don't know at all. Their voices were, electronic.. kind of modulated, which gave them a robotic quality.. or if you really think about it, the voices were vibrating to a different frequency..

Anyway.. These always came at the end of a dream on or near the fringe of sleeping and waking.. If I were you, I'd concentrate of your dreams. I think the answers lay there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Professor T said:

I had this a lot. Not knocking, sometimes sounds but mostly voices, talking, mur murs.. I kind of miss it. (it's been a while since it was a near weekly thing.)

I Genuinely believe that, in my cases they were attempts to communicate.. Wont say by whom, except to say that in many of these cases they were perceived as  folks I've known to have passed on, or don't know at all. Their voices were, electronic.. kind of modulated, which gave them a robotic quality.. or if you really think about it, the voices were vibrating to a different frequency..

Anyway.. These always came at the end of a dream on or near the fringe of sleeping and waking.. If I were you, I'd concentrate of your dreams. I think the answers lay there.

Wow me to. At least one time. Back before I was married, I was laying in bed with my soon to be wife. In the middle of the night I heard someone yell out my name. It was so loud I sat right up in bed. She wakes up and asks if I was ok. Here is the really strange part. I never had any psychic, or any of the strange experiences we intentionally seek out like projection. Never even heard of it then. I say to her "someone died". And I laid back down and fell asleep. I don't know why I said it, but I knew it was true.

Next day my sister calls me and tells me someone we both knew had committed suicide the night before.  That blew my mind.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I heard knocks while in bed. They were knocks on a wooden door. The sound came only a metre away. A few weeks ago I heard shuffling near my bed and it spproached me at a fast rate. In my dream I always see strangers in my house and I always need to tell them to leave. In my opinion, the knocks are the spirits of the other world wanting permission to enter yours. 

1 hour ago, Lyndaabdo said:

I heard knocks while in bed. They were knocks on a wooden door. The sound came only a metre away. A few weeks ago I heard shuffling near my bed and it spproached me at a fast rate. In my dream I always see strangers in my house and I always need to tell them to leave. In my opinion, the knocks are the spirits of the other world wanting permission to enter yours. 

Sounds like it could be one are a combination of three things. A lucid dream, hypnagogic, and/or hypnopompic hallucinations.

• 1 month later...

For the fourth time in my life, I woke up in the early hours to three loud knocks the other night. It always seems like its coming from downstairs. The other three times it has happened, something bad has happened a few days later. Today my laptop started playing up, making it virtually unusable at certain points. I work from home and I need my computer to stay in a job. Surely it cant be coincidental?