Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Best Ghost Movies

Paranormal Panther

Now old movies are right up my alley! (Mebbe ya noticed my avatar is the ghost of Dr.Mabuse in the TESTAMENT OF DR.MABUSE (1932)

.Ok-here goes-

1.The HAUNTING (1963) Of course it isn't as creepy as the book-but I can't see how anybody could capture Shirley Jackson onscreen. Robert Wise gave it a good try-and it is a classic!

2.KILL,BABY,KILL (1966) Forget the exploitive title-this is Mario Bava! -the master behind BLACK SUNDAY (1960) and...

3.BLACK SABBATH (1963) A trilogy of stories-the First one-A Drop of Water,is a shocker!

4.BURNT OFFERINGS (1976) With a cast like Oliver Reed,Karen Black and Bette Davis-ya can't go wrong!

5. The SHINING (1980) -of course. Me and some friends went to see this at the theater when it first came out-my cousin Tina ran out into the lobby when Scatman got hit with the axe!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RCMerchant said:

Now old movies are right up my alley! (Mebbe ya noticed my avatar is the ghost of Dr.Mabuse in the TESTAMENT OF DR.MABUSE (1932)

.Ok-here goes-

1.The HAUNTING (1963) Of course it isn't as creepy as the book-but I can't see how anybody could capture Shirley Jackson onscreen. Robert Wise gave it a good try-and it is a classic!

2.KILL,BABY,KILL (1966) Forget the exploitive title-this is Mario Bava! -the master behind BLACK SUNDAY (1960) and...

3.BLACK SABBATH (1963) A trilogy of stories-the First one-A Drop of Water,is a shocker!

4.BURNT OFFERINGS (1976) With a cast like Oliver Reed,Karen Black and Bette Davis-ya can't go wrong!

5. The SHINING (1980) -of course. Me and some friends went to see this at the theater when it first came out-my cousin Tina ran out into the lobby when Scatman got hit with the axe!

We should have been Blockbuster friends. You have great taste in ghost movies. "The Haunting" and "The Shining" are my two fav' spook flicks, and I fondly recall the other ones. By the way, somebody should start a thread on '70s satanic films.

• Like 1

As was mentioned earlier, the best ever ghost movie is the 1963 "The Haunting", based on Shirley Jackson's novel "The Haunting of Hill House" (Hell House, get it?). I dare you to watch it on your own - as the creepy house keeper Mrs Dudley says - "In the night, in the dark". I recently watched "Mama", which was scary, but nothing like "The Haunting".

But in terms of real scary, the best ever scary movie is "The Exorcist", which is about demons, not ghosts.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, RCMerchant said:

You sure you loaded the right avatar? That appears to be a creature from The Outer Limits. An Ebonite to be exact.

23 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

As was mentioned earlier, the best ever ghost movie is the 1963 "The Haunting", based on Shirley Jackson's novel "The Haunting of Hill House" (Hell House, get it?). I dare you to watch it on your own - as the creepy house keeper Mrs Dudley says - "In the night, in the dark". I recently watched "Mama", which was scary, but nothing like "The Haunting".

But in terms of real scary, the best ever scary movie is "The Exorcist", which is about demons, not ghosts.

It's my favorite ghost film. It doesn't need blood and gore to be scary. Special effects often take the place of good plots these days. I miss the more subtle horror movies.

• Like 1

The Haunting (1963), Ghost Story, The Haunted Palace (with Vincent Price), The Exorcist, The Shining, just to name a few.  I tend to gravitate toward older horror movies.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tcgram said:

The Haunting (1963), Ghost Story, The Haunted Palace (with Vincent Price), The Exorcist, The Shining, just to name a few.  I tend to gravitate toward older horror movies.  

They are great movies. I love old Vincent Price films. 

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, KellyOn said:

the romantic fantasy thriller "Gost" 1990 with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore is my fav :wub:

I never saw that one. Maybe I'll stumble upon it while changing the channels.

17 hours ago, Old Man by the Sea said:

The Awakening ( 2011 ) , the ending surprised me...

Thanks for the mention. I'll look out for that one.

• Like 1