Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cop manhandles unruly student

Hawken

A few days ago a South Carolina police officer (Ben Fields) was called in to remove an unruly student from class

after the student refused to leave by teachers request. What are your thoughts?

http://youtu.be/ZH_EJiElh3o

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 1

My thoughts are this is another symptom of the HUGE problem we have in America with law enforcement. This man can squat 600lbs , there was absolutely no need for this level of agression. If the goal was to remove the child he simply should have picked her up and removed her. HE is strong enough.

This is a recently orphaned child who is suffering. We need to hold the people we arm with deadly weapons on a daily basis to a higher standard.

• Like 8

It's a clip that begins with the officer losing his s***. Just like most Police brutality footage, it begins the moment the cop steps out of line - everything that happens before that is just your word against his. Here's a little thought-experiment:

"Black people are apes. White people are apes. We're all apes so let's stop arguing about race."

Now take just the first part of that sentence and quote it somewhere online. Context is everything. The articles I've read so far claim the student had been asked by several faculty members to leave (she was disrupting class,) she hit the officer with her fists when he first arrived and generally was just being a little prick. Did he use excessive force? Maybe. I haven't seen what happened 5 minutes before this.

Of course, you can always ignore the existence of context altogether and post this on Facebook as further proof that all cops are racist.

He lost his job, btw.

• Like 8

It's a clip that begins with the officer losing his s***. Just like most Police brutality footage, it begins the moment the cop steps out of line - everything that happens before that is just your word against his. Here's a little thought-experiment:

"Black people are apes. White people are apes. We're all apes so let's stop arguing about race."

Now take just the first part of that sentence and quote it somewhere online. Context is everything. The articles I've read so far claim the student had been asked by several faculty members to leave (she was disrupting class,) she hit the officer with her fists when he first arrived and generally was just being a little prick. Did he use excessive force? Maybe. I haven't seen what happened 5 minutes before this.

Of course, you can always ignore the existence of context altogether and post this on Facebook as further proof that all cops are racist.

He lost his job, btw.

How does what happened 5 minutes before that justify what the officer did? What in your opinion would justify those actions?

• Like 1

I`m in the opinion that a lot of cops in the US think that they are some kind of absolute, invulnerable and are allowed to

act without any relation to general human rights. The action in the vid is very disgusting and I hope that this Rottweiler

have to go to jail for some years.

• Like 6

How does what happened 5 minutes before that justify what the officer did? What in your opinion would justify those actions?

I don't know because they aren't showing footage of it. What would justify those actions? You can't "justify" that much force in a non-deadly encounter, without threat of harm.

...but I can think of a 100 different ways the officer could be provoked in to that state.

• Like 1

I don't know because they aren't showing footage of it. What would justify those actions? You can't "justify" that much force in a non-deadly encounter, without threat of harm.

...but I can think of a 100 different ways the officer could be provoked in to that state.

Provocations do not matter when dealing with the police. Or at least they SHOULD not matter. I've truly been appalled at the amount of people who are defending (not saying you are) this cop by saying things like "if that child got whipped at home this wouldnt have happened" or "here goes the media again blaming police" .

Hopefully this former officer will A) face legal action , if for no other purpose than to send a message to all law enforcement that this is unacceptable and the police state must end. and get some help. This is not the first time he has used excessive force (hence his quick dismissal)

Edited because somehow I keep accidentally adding smilies at inappropriate times in my posts.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

I`m in the opinion that a lot of cops in the US think that they are some kind of absolute, invulnerable and are allowed to

act without any relation to general human rights. The action in the vid is very disgusting and I hope that this Rottweiler

have to go to jail for some years.

He was fired yesterday. Dark_Grey, where did you hear that the student was punching the cop? I've been seeing this story for a few days now and that's the first I've heard that. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

He was fired yesterday. Dark_Grey, where did you here that the student was punching the cop? I've been seeing this story for a few days now and that's the first I've heard that.

There is a third angle that the altercation was filmed from which shows the student thrusting her arm upwards at the officer as he is standing behind her. Not really a punch but it was a strike anyways which the right wing has seized upon in a lame attempt to justify this guys actions.

Not that that matters. That little girl in no way harmed , nor was a threat to harm, that steroided out cop. As a former powerlifter whose numbers were close to what this guy has professed I guarantee he was in no risk of pain or suffering let alone life or limb.

• Like 4

This is not the first time the police used this much aggressive force to get someone arrested in america.

• Like 1

As a former LEO, it was a bit much, However that dubious student is just s hard headed b****. You're in school to learn. Why would the school allow cell phones in class? What's next popcorn and Netflix?

• Like 3

Thats not an excuse. It is mandatory that police officers should have the mental stability to do not feel provoked by whatever

actions taken by the opposite party. If persons do not have the needed mental stability, police officer isnt a job for them.

But its the same story as everywhere: if you just pay bananas, you just get apes.

Edited by toast
  • Like 5

Thats not an excuse. It is mandatory that police officers should have the mental stability to do not feel provoked by whatever

action taken by the opposite party. If persons do not have the needed mental stability, police officer isnt a job for them.

But its the same story as everywhere: if you just pay bananas, you just get apes.

The pay argument is interesting, when I was flirting with law enforcement I noticed the disparity across the nation in how departments pay. My local PD started officers at 65k a year while Baltimore started at 25K a year.

Hiring practices also need to be examined with departments actively refusing officer applicants who are too intelligent! No im not making that up :

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

• Like 6

Here's something to ponder about. If the police officer was black and handled the situation in the same manner as Ben Fields,

would this have made national media coverage?

• Like 3

Here's something to ponder about. If the police officer was black and handled the situation in the same manner as Ben Fields,

would this have made national media coverage?

I believe it would have because of the many active copwatch organizations which have popped up in the last year or so. Race isn't the issue , police violence against the citizenry is.

Another question : Would anyone be defending the officer if the student was white? Regardless of the officer's race

• Like 1

He lost his temper and now he is unemployed.

An unarmed 16 year old girl sitting in class refusing to obey orders while on her phone...so what? The teacher should not have called in the officer to begin with. I would have just waited her out. Turn off the lights in the classroom and go to lunch. How long do you think she would have stayed in there?

When I mentioned that to my wife she said "Well how about the other kids in that class that wanted to learn? Why punish them too?"

Edited by ZZ430
  • Like 2

yea, true, she was refusing to leave, and was talking sht, as per other students. he was not 100% right as well, she deserved to be removed, but he want "overboard" on her.

• Like 3

Having watched the videos, the officer was dealing with an unruly individual who helped flip herself over in her flailing. He should have handled it differently, but she should not of acted the way she did.

• Like 5

The LEO was over the top. His reaction didn't fit, but with that being said, it doesn't change the fact that their exists in the US a climate of disrespect for authority for perceived abuse of power. From government, to public schools, to law enforcement, almost all power holding entities that exist in this country have been diminished in the eyes of the public by a victim hood mentality that is perpetuated by American media, the school system, and just downright privilege and the spoils of having it so good, so easily. We are spoiled rotten here, and there are so many getting something for nothing that they get entitled, and it's that sense of entitlement that leads to narcissistic behavior, and narcissism is rampant and out of control IMO in the US right now. Government and authority have to be checked and there have been cases of brutality, but the opportunistic climate that exists for those who claim victim hood exacerbates and antagonizes a problem that would otherwise be minor.

• Like 3

Provocations do not matter when dealing with the police. Or at least they SHOULD not matter. I've truly been appalled at the amount of people who are defending (not saying you are) this cop by saying things like "if that child got whipped at home this wouldnt have happened" or "here goes the media again blaming police" .

Hopefully this former officer will A) face legal action , if for no other purpose than to send a message to all law enforcement that this is unacceptable and the police state must end. and get some help. This is not the first time he has used excessive force (hence his quick dismissal)

Edited because somehow I keep accidentally adding smilies at inappropriate times in my posts.

I can see your point but I have to ask - what makes this child special enough to dictate to the school authorities how a class is going to be run? She obviously had some disciplinary issues and I don't care to try to judge her or them but is your answer that any disruptive person in a public setting should hold a veto on what the group can or cannot accomplish? What are the rights of the dozens who were actually there trying to learn? And if his force was excessive - I don't really know - then what would you have done to get her out of the classroom?
  • Like 4

I can see your point but I have to ask - what makes this child special enough to dictate to the school authorities how a class is going to be run? She obviously had some disciplinary issues and I don't care to try to judge her or them but is your answer that any disruptive person in a public setting should hold a veto on what the group can or cannot accomplish? What are the rights of the dozens who were actually there trying to learn? And if his force was excessive - I don't really know - then what would you have done to get her out of the classroom?

I am in no way defending her. AT ALL. She should have been removed , not smashed. That officer was plenty strong to pick her up desk and all (i remember seeing this happen when I was a kid in school) and carry her from the room.

• Like 3

There is absolutely no justification for using that level of aggression against an unarmed sixteen year old girl... in a school of all places! What message does it send to the other kids in the classroom?

• Like 6

There is absolutely no justification for using that level of aggression against an unarmed sixteen year old girl... in a school of all places! What message does it send to the other kids in the classroom?

The message : obey the state or be smashed

• Like 1

Here's a link on a white cop that manhandles a white male college student on the beach back in spring of this year.

I don't recall this making National Media Coverage but only Local Coverage.

http://1079ishot.com/beach-cop-fight-spring-break-2015/

• Like 2