Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Hawken

Cop manhandles unruly student

422 posts in this topic

Farmer77

It's just that most likely you are not in a position to evaluate what kind of force needed in a scenerio like that and maybe not even the oficer. You we're evaluating the scenerio based on your strength and powerlifting experience not actual combat or struggling with another human being. You also are overestimating the cops ability to do exactly what you think he should, he may have more experince struggling with other people than you, but by no means is he probably isn't and expert. You also assume you would do better in a similar scenerio. I doubt it.

For example I can tell the arm around her neck was in no way an attempt at a choke. It's more like a life guards restraint. I can also watch her knees and tell she stood up very cast and with the preassure from the restraint the desk tipped over to both of their surprise. Then He grabbed her any attempted to move her to a safer place away from the desk. this is what people are calling a slam. Like I said it might have been handled a little bit better, but he was not being a hot head, she was. Just like my analogy earlyer a car driver Can react much more perfectly in a high speed scenerio than a ups driver this is because a race car driver is an expert at high speed.

The Dunn-Kruger affect is a psycological bias of over estimating ones own reactions to things and sometimes placeing that overestimating onto others. The cop was not a hot head, the evidence from the other teens at the school suggests that he was well liked. This entire thing is a case of layman not really understanding what it takes to bring somone under control for their safety and the safety of others. People should never be tried in te court of public opinion for this very reason. This is how witch hunts start and it has already begun. We have laws, rules, and logic in courts to sort through this stuff because we can have access to real experts not arm chair prosecutors.

I spent a little bit of time as a correction officer ,that aside I am quite familiar with combat. I KNOW I would not do better in a similar situation, I do not have the temperament for law enforcement. I would have done the exact same thing as the officer. That is why i am not a law enforcement officer, I understand the psychological and physical requirements and made the decision I did not want to put myself in that kind of situation.

While you make a valid argument I do not subscribe to your belief that anything he did was non violent. I see a large man becoming angry and using violence as a means to an end.

Thank you for the educational post however.

• Like 1

Farmer77

Alright my hitch is up, I generally only spend this much time in front of a computer during my two weeks on duty so I will most likely miss the rest of this conversation. I'll be back in two weeks to jump back in though, thanks for the debate while it lasted!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

aztek

lol when i was in school, cell phones did not even exist, even the huge bricks were not invented yet. cb radios were car phones of my youth,

• Like 2

Myles

When I was in high school, we could have our cellphones, we just couldn't have them in class. Naturally, we texted during class all the time and the teachers just yelled at us periodically.

The cops only ever came for drug search lock downs.

What would have happened if you were caught googling while taking a test?

What if you refused to give the phone up and the teacher asked you to leave?

What if, after that, the principle came and asked for the phone?

What if you refused to give the phone up and the principle asked you to leave?

What if you wouldn't do anything they asked and were being disruptive during a test?

Myles

Have you not read the three posts I've made about my time working in an alternative high school for students with severe mental illness and behavioral problems?

This was not that kind of school.

Besides, I was responding to your post about your time in high school.

Myles

So? If a couple of administrators could calm down a 15-year-old paranoid schizophrenic who was physically harming himself and so deep in a psychotic episode that he was barely coherent, then this cop should've been able to calmly handle a 16-year-old girl who was just sitting there. This cop even had a greater advantage in that the students probably didn't have severe mental disorders, whereas in the alternative high school, the administrators also had to know how to handle all of the kids in the class, because they all had behavioral problems to some degree. I couldn't imagine this guy in the school I worked at. He doesn't have the mental fortitude for it, so he shouldn't be a cop.

If I refused to hand over my cellphone, my professor would be like, "Detention, Chester," and then he would've kept teaching, because Mr. Mac does not stop teaching physics for anything. Anything!

So he would have allowed you to keep using your phone during a test? I doubt that.

You comparison of schools is not a good one.

Doc Socks Junior

Professors give out detentions now? Is high school invading college?

I actually told a student to stop using his phone today. He said, "Alright, sorry" and put it away. Just a nice interaction overall.

• Like 1

Doc Socks Junior

Ah, swerd.

mbrn30000

https://www.facebook...07817232611398/

another angel trying to get his phone back.

who in their right mind would want to be a teacher? smh

Edited by mbrn30000
  • Like 2

LV-426

No ... please don't go ... just skirt the troll tangled threads ~ we need the doses of provisional sanity that comes from your contribution ~

~

~

Thanks for the vote of confidence third_eye :)

The problem is F3SS is right - best take a screenshot of that one ;) - I do go overboard in threads like this.

For all the years I've spent as an adult, and all the crap I've seen and experienced myself, I still feel like a child sometimes, looking at the world from a perspective where all the things that are good and right just seem obvious and unquestionable. When someone tells me that my 'round peg' doesn't fit into the 'square hole', instead of just saying "Hey, some people are square holes", I'll get the the grease, screwdriver and finally the hammer out to make the peg fit. Any validity to what I'm saying just gets lost in the mess.

Think yourselves lucky I retain some maturity, had I used letters instead of shapes, I had a great line involving 'A holes'... :blush:

It's also fair to say that some of the anger in these threads is that, when criticising others, you have to be prepared to look at a reflection of yourself and see if it holds up to scrutiny. I'm as flawed as anyone here, maybe more so, which frequently means an hour's leisure time could be better spent elsewhere; ignorance is bliss as the proverb goes.

Anyway, this isn't the philosophy section :rolleyes: At least half the posters here think the girl got what she deserved. There's no point flogging a dead horse.

• Like 3

Paranormal Panther

Good post , i do feel i must add though that In a case such as one in the OP there are no extenuating facts which could justify the actions of the officer in the video.

I think that you're right about this case. Look at the size and strength differential. It's like a comparison of two people at extreme sides of a bell curve. It's an obvious case of excessive force that has no logical justification.

F3SS

Better edit that now LV or it's here forever! Also, at least half the posters here think otherwise so the balance is here.

https://www.facebook...07817232611398/

another angel trying to get his phone back.

who in their right mind would want to be a teacher? smh

Now that kid deserved to be slammed, smashed and gripped by the throat. I couldn't have taken that. That punk was small enough. A teacher shouldn't have to just deal with that.

• Like 1

Paranormal Panther

I've been saying this all throughout this topic. When an incident occurs, the major medias will use in their headlines and articles

Black and White instead of just Cop and Robber or Student. I've been accuse of being a Straw Man on this but there it is.

But I agree, people should wait for all the facts before passing judgment.

I couldn't agree more with you. The media have a progressive agenda and narrative from which they won't deviate. They are race-baiters. They portray our country as 1960s Mississippi.

• Like 4

White Crane Feather

So? If a couple of administrators could calm down a 15-year-old paranoid schizophrenic who was physically harming himself and so deep in a psychotic episode that he was barely coherent, then this cop should've been able to calmly handle a 16-year-old girl who was just sitting there. This cop even had a greater advantage in that the students probably didn't have severe mental disorders, whereas in the alternative high school, the administrators also had to know how to handle all of the kids in the class, because they all had behavioral problems to some degree. I couldn't imagine this guy in the school I worked at. He doesn't have the mental fortitude for it, so he shouldn't be a cop.

If I refused to hand over my cellphone, my professor would be like, "Detention, Chester," and then he would've kept teaching, because Mr. Mac does not stop teaching physics for anything. Anything!

Again more laymen BS. In many ways it's a lot easier to connect with the mentally I'll than it is to the sane with an agenda or just pure stubberness with entitlement issues.

Edited by White Crane Feather

Rawbone

edit

Edited by Rawbone

aztek

Police are responding to a video of students threatening a Chicago Public Schools threatening a substitute teacher that has surfaced online. The video shows a scary moment when a student picked up a chair and threatened to throw it at her.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/police-respond-video-students-threatening-135019117.html

another angel,

• Like 3

Agent0range

Here's an interesting video by a Chicago man giving his view on the incident.

He gives his view on it Raw and Uncut.

http://www.facebook....07727226049015/

Ah yes..the typical video of the black guy agreeing with you that the right just looooves to post. I think they feel it is some kind of redemption when a black man agrees with them. Cute.

mbrn30000

Ah yes..the typical video of the black guy agreeing with you that the right just looooves to post. I think they feel it is some kind of redemption when a black man agrees with them. Cute.

I guess your prefer the parade of race baiting activists they could care less about this girl or the truth. yeah that is cute!

If this girl had any adult that cared about her future, they would make her apologize to her teacher, the principal, her classmates and the cop. Then they would take her phone away from her for at least a month, make her be home by dark every school night, and make sure homework is done. Of course that is too Ozzie and Harriet for the ghetto crowd. they would prefer protests, cop firings, big settlement and continued neglect, leniency, and permissiveness leading to an early demise or incarcerationof their current "victim".

Edited by mbrn30000
  • Like 3

Paranormal Panther

It's the flip side of interviews of self-hating White guys that the Left just loves to air. Not so cute.

• Like 4

Gummug

If anyone's curious what the student's grave criminal act and heinous disrespect was ... the teacher caught her on her phone during class. http://www.dailykos....-on-a-Teen-Girl

I read part of that article and I noticed it said the other kids referred to him as "Officer Slam". Well, a lot of those same kids wanted "Officer Slam" back and were evidently not happy that he was let go. It really makes me question the veracity of that article, and even of that site.

• Like 4

Gummug

Well at least there won't be cries of "racist"!

• Like 3