Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian passenger plane crash

bmk1245

The Russian government remains tight lipped about the ongoing investigation. But we've learned Friday night that it has requested support from the FBI, most likely for its bomb analysis expertise.

arrow3.gifRead more

Wait... What?! Russians asking help from arch enemy - mericans?

• Like 2

I wonder, will Russian comedians make jokes about crashed plane as they did with MH17:

... and audience laughing their lungs out... Edited by bmk1245
  • Like 2

Woah - be cautious about this "bomb" talk. It MAY be possible, but there ARE other scenario's.

If the tail assembly seperated, along with catastrophic depressurisation (and possible subsequent disintegration of the aircraft fuselage) then this may well sound like an explosion, and would also cause speed and altitude fluctuations, followed by the "death dive".

This aircraft HAD been involved in a "tail strike" incident already. This sort of incident was responsible for a previous disaster , which has similarities to the MetroJet incident.

I wonder, will Russian comedians make jokes about crashed plane as they did with MH17:

... and audience laughing their lungs out...

Probably not since its one of their own. Funny how some things are no longer funny when its about you.
  • Like 1

Woah - be cautious about this "bomb" talk. It MAY be possible, but there ARE other scenario's.

If the tail assembly seperated, along with catastrophic depressurisation (and possible subsequent disintegration of the aircraft fuselage) then this may well sound like an explosion, and would also cause speed and altitude fluctuations, followed by the "death dive".

This aircraft HAD been involved in a "tail strike" incident already. This sort of incident was responsible for a previous disaster , which has similarities to the MetroJet incident.

The explosion may have come from the engines or underbelly

Now it turns out a UK jet was shot at....but it was kept....quiet...

Rocket 'attack' on UK tour jet: Pilot with 189 passengers dodged missile above Sharm El Sheikh in August with just 'seconds to spare from disaster'

Thomson flight from London took evasive action after pilot spotted missile

Holidaymakers were not told they had been just seconds from disaster

Comes amid claims British jihadists discussed ISIS 'mole' in Sharm el-Sheikh moments after a Metrojet plane crash in Sinai, killing 224 on board

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3307741/Rocket-attack-UK-tour-jet.html#ixzz3qoWKSKGJ

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/06/middleeast/russian-plane-crash-egypt-sinai/

Well, that's it then. I wonder how things will change now.

Well *if* this is true, I'm guessing absolutely nothing will change as this is not even close to being the first or even hundred and first time a plane has been attacked. It is and always will be a risk of flight travel.

And no amount of "chicken littling" will change that.

http://www.cnn.com/2...sh-egypt-sinai/

Well, that's it then. I wonder how things will change now.

Here in the UK....

Britain MUST start bombing ISIS in Syria if terror group brought down Russian plane, says Michael Fallon

Defence Secretary says it is 'morally indefensible' UK is not bombing Syria

Claims US and Australian forces are helping to get Britain's streets safe

MPs backed airstrikes in Iraq but could defeat vote on extending mission

Call for government to confirm it has a 'kill list' of ISIS targets in Syria

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3306909/Britain-start-bombing-ISIS-Syria-terror-group-brought-Russian-plane-says-Michael-Fallon.html#ixzz3qovEEIt2

• Like 3

Probably not since its one of their own. Funny how some things are no longer funny when its about you.

Yeap...

In all fairness, thats not just about Russians. Did Charlie Hebdo made cartoons about their own being shot...

• Like 1

I'm not a pilot (we have here, on UM, few), but seeing approaching missile is quite questionable, not to mention avoiding it with passenger plane. Sounds like bs story.

I'm not a pilot (we have here, on UM, few), but seeing approaching missile is quite questionable, not to mention avoiding it with passenger plane. Sounds like bs story.

Sky are running the same story

But...they add

A spokesman said the department concluded it was not a targeted attack but "likely to be connected to routine exercises being conducted by the Egyptian military in the area at the time".

http://news.sky.com/...00ft-of-missile

Edited by seeder

I am thinking he may have seen a MANPAD launch and if his aurcraft was at altitude then he'd have been out of range anyways. If he was former military he'd know this.

• Like 2

Sky are running the same story

But...they add

http://news.sky.com/...00ft-of-missile

I am thinking he may have seen a MANPAD launch and if his aurcraft was at altitude then he'd have been out of range anyways. If he was former military he'd know this.

That I would buy (either way), but not dodging.

Well *if* this is true, I'm guessing absolutely nothing will change as this is not even close to being the first or even hundred and first time a plane has been attacked. It is and always will be a risk of flight travel.

And no amount of "chicken littling" will change that.

Neither will playing Ostrich. And no, until now it has NOT been something people had to routinely worry over. Lockerbie is the last time it was done and that was more political than Islamic extremist. And *if* seems to be pretty much decided by the aviation officials who HEARD the freakin' explosion on the recording. But hey, have another drink and go back to sleep.
  • Like 1

In my HS ROTC program we had an instructor (Major) who had flown in Vietnam who recalled VIVIDLY the look of such missiles as they arced up toward him. But this doesn't sound like a true near miss.

Well, I find this story of the Thompson flight most strange.

Apparantly, a "ManPad" type missile would be unable to get within "1000ft" of an aircraft travelling at 30,000ft. They have a ceiling of less than 20,000ft.

The larger, high-altitude missiles travel very quickly... around 1500mph. At those speeds, "1000ft" is less than half-a-second flight time. The pilot would NOT have had time to say anything, let alone maneuver. If it was a homing missile (heat seaking or radar-guided), then it would have hit the aircraft, plain and simple.

Is it possible that the pilot saw a drone ? Or some sort of surface-surface missile,in the style of a cruise missile ?

Returning to the Russian plane crash; I'm not saying it was NOT a bomb. I'm just pointing out that there ARE other credible explanations, based on what we know at the moment.

Here in the UK....

So beheading Brits wasn't enough but a Russian dying by their hands is too much?

Edited by Ashotep
  • Like 1

It wasn't kept quiet. It was reported as an announced military test firing where the information had not been passed to ATC. Trust me if a UK commercial jet had actually been shot at all UK flights would have been immediately suspended.

• Like 1

In my HS ROTC program we had an instructor (Major) who had flown in Vietnam who recalled VIVIDLY the look of such missiles as they arced up toward him. But this doesn't sound like a true near miss.

After rereading the article it sounds like the pilot saw a simple rocket, not a guided missile such as a MANPAD would launch and so with a simple turn was able to avoid it. This was on approach to the airport so would've been within the flight envelope of either weapon.

• Like 2

Hmmm... 'on approach to the airport', and yet the first officer, not the captain, was in control ?

Are we sure about that 'on approach' thingy ?

Hmmm... 'on approach to the airport', and yet the first officer, not the captain, was in control ?

Are we sure about that 'on approach' thingy ?

Yes and several other aircraft saw rocket exhaust as well. Egyptians claimed it was in conjunction with a military exercise in the area. First officers make many landings since they are training to be captains so no surprise there. Article with far more detail. http://www.dailymail...K-tour-jet.html

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Thats a normal procedure as also first officers perform takeoffs and landings as well.

• Like 3