Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sceptics, name an unexplained mystery

Mikko-kun

Of course everyone can name here but we already know that believers and agnostics especially think there are mysteries out there, real things but ones that haven't yet been adequately researched or explained, like how sea wasn't sailed according to european common knowledge in the 1300's.

Bigfoot, god, ghosts, esp, or any plain ones?

• Like 3

The Ark of the Covenant.

What the Templars found under the Temple.

• Like 2

I believe I qualify as a "skeptic", but do think we need to learn more, about everything.

Things I believe are mostly, if not complete explained already, but which I'd like a final absolute answer to:

(Well, everything, ideally, but I'll proioritize)

1 Poltergeists

2 Psi

3 Alien Abductions and UFOs

4 "Ghosts"/Hauntings

5 Spontaneous Human Combustion

6 Ideomotor Effect/Automatism (Ouija Boards, automatic writing)

7 Mothman, Hopkinsville Creatures

8 Bigfoot, Nessie, Other Cryptids

9 Magic and Stuff I Guess

10 Is Wrestling Real?

• Like 7

10 Is Wrestling Real?

:nw: :nw: :nw:

• Like 3

10 Is Wrestling Real?

To me the real mystery is why people watch wrestling in the first place ?

The world of television programmes surely contains some of the greatest mysteries of our time. :P

On a more serious note the three biggest mysteries to me are what I would consider "The Big Three"

- The origin of the universe

- The origin of life

- Are we alone

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 2

Where is my other sock?

• Like 9

Synchronicity.

Earthquake lights.

Ultra-deep lifeforms (abiotic theory). High altitude lifeforms (sky jellyfish).

External/environmental source of extra-sensory power.

Hypnotism.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 4

Flight MH370

Well, this could be ending up being debunked, and maybe found. ( look at me, a believer debunking a mystery. :o )

Of, then again, there is no definite proof, and it's not to the point where they found the crash site.

On 29 July 2015, airliner [/color]marine debris was found on a beach in Saint-André, on Réunion, an island in the western Indian Ocean, about 4,000 km (2,200 nmi; 2,500 mi) west of the underwater search area.[70] The object had a stenciled internal marking "657 BB," consistent with the code for a portion of a right wing flaperon (a trailing edgecontrol surface) from a Boeing 777.[23][71] The following day, a damaged suitcase was found which may be associated with Flight 370.[72] The location is consistent with models of debris dispersal 16 months after an origin in the current search area, off the west coast of Australia.[70][73][74][75] On 31 July, a Chinese water bottle and an Indonesian cleaning product were found in the same area.[76][77] There have been many claims that additional debris had been found on Réunion which may have come from Flight 370, but none appears to have come from an aircraft as of 5 August.[74][78][needs update]

The first object to be found was transported from Réunion—an overseas department of France—to Toulouse, for examination by France's civil aviation accident investigation agency, the Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses pour la Sécurité de l'Aviation Civile (BEA), and a French defence ministry laboratory.[70] Malaysia sent investigators to both Réunion and Toulouse.[70][79] French police conducted a search of the waters around Réunion for additional debris.[70]

On 2 August, Malaysian officials confirmed that the object was a flaperon from a Boeing 777 aircraft and that the verification was made with investigators from France, Malaysia, Boeing, and the US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB).[80] Three days later, the Prime Minister of Malaysia announced that the discovered flaperon was confirmed to be from Flight 370; French officials only stated that there was a "very high probability"[81] that the object was from Flight 370.[81][82][83] On 3 September, French officials announced that serial numbers found on the flaperon link it "with certainty"[84] to Flight 370. This serial number was retrieved via a borescope]

https://en.wikipedia...bris_discovered

http://news.yahoo.co...-062335040.html

http://www.ibtimes.c...g-plane-2055760

10 Is Wrestling Real?

I think that has been debunked too.

Well, a wrestling fan friend of mine certainly said it was fake.

And speaking of wrestling as a mystery, why is it on the syfy channel? Unless, that is also debunking it as real right there! :o

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 2

Opens at least my eyes a little... seems like sceptics have different things they're sceptical about though some more common ones you could expect, like how did life begin and the origins of the universe. Please do name stuff you think is unexplained even though other people have said it already, should had make the topic like "sceptics, your list of the unexplained?" or something. It's just natural to expect some differences in sceptics' views just like believers have some differences, though like believers you seem to have a similar core thought running.

The Ark of the Covenant.

What the Templars found under the Temple.

My knowledge of history is pretty vague, so can't tell whether you're serious or not, but I guess with the latter you're referring to the Knight Templars (weren't they like tax collectors?) found under the israeli/palestinian temple during their crusade in the 1200's?

I guess for a male skeptic, the answer would be 'women' and for a female skeptic, the answer would be 'men'.

I also like the answer of 'Quantum Physics'.

I'm wondering how skeptics think the Ark of the Covenant is a mystery, when they don't really believe in the Bible, and that priest in Ethiopia isn't saying anything either.

Mysteries:

Quantum Physics

Atmospheric Plasma

The Human Mind/Brain

Consciousness

Is there an end to the universe?

How tesseracts work

Mandelbrot Set

Where's that Amber Room at?

All the treasures from WW2 for that matter

Tunguska Meteor

The Pyramids

Stonehenge

Leonardo Da Vinci

Bio Luminescence

Antikithera Device (wtf IS that)?

The Biminy Road

Nazcar Lines

Hieroglyphs at Harappa

The stone spheres at Costa Rica

...and how to fold a fitted sheet.

( look at me, a believer debunking a mystery. :o )

lol...join my exclusive club.

Edited by The Necromancer
  • Like 1

Pyramids aren't really that big of a mystery, neither is the Bimni road. Or the Nazca lines, really.

Mine would be the bronze age collapse and the Sea Peoples.

• Like 2

I think human consciousness = the way we form our thoughts, is one of the biggest mysteries, demonstrated by The Necromancer and KolchacktheNightStalker. Some could say 1 + 1 is a mystery, and some say god is not a mystery, both seriously. To me everything is a mystery when you go deep enough or get a big enough picture, the autopilot just eliminates the mysterious from it.

• Like 4

1. Mothman. The whole phenomenon, with mothman, Indrid Cold, people seeing "agents," lights in the sky, I'd like explained. Were the agents american government personnel? Were they merely hallucinations or pareidolia? Who phoned people who claimed to have calls from Indrid Cold? Even if the mystery is perfectly explainable (which I'm sure it is) I'd still like to know for sure.
  2. Green Children in the 12th century
  3. What the Proto-Indo-European language sounded like.

• Like 2

NDEs are probably on the top of my list.

Then

All the unexsplained things in physics

Why certain archetypes are present in altered states of conciousness across humanity with no contact.

If p = NP

Qualia

How in the hell do people get thier scrambled eggs to not stick to the pan

Oh yeah

And

Women.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

Necromancer, unbelievably, we are one and the same on this one..

how to fold a fitted sheet

Some things are just not meant to be known, or even questioned. That is one. We shall speak of it no more....

• Like 2

Where is my other sock?

I am convinced that there is some sort of rip in the space time continuum that sucks up single socks...... and pens. ;)

• Like 4

Eald's missing sock is stuck to another article of clothing (like inside a sleeve or pant leg). There's a way to fold fitted sheets, I fold them all the time.

Here you go:

Two mysteries solved!

Edited by Lilly
addition
  • Like 3

Quantum Physics

Superluminal velocities

Other universes

Life after death

Some UFO/ET cases

• Like 1

The Tulpa phenomenon and the Philip experiment still fascinate me. Also those moments that seem like telepathy, like two being doing or saying the exact same thing at the exact same moment. Even those rare cases that appear to be nothing more than thought/intention manifestation. Just random weirdness.

• Like 2

I really want to know what's at the bottom of Oak Island but I REALLY don't want to watch this history channel to not find out. If there is not a treasure, what mastermind came up with these ideas of traps and coconut fibers. What if the water filling the cavern wasn't a trap but it had been a way to lower something big into the pit? Stupid oak island making my brain hurt...

• Like 1

Consciousness

Spontaneous Human Combustion

Ball Lightning

Telepathy (esp. between twins)

Precognition

Past Life experiences (esp. Xenoglossy)

Some UFO cases

Some Ghost sightings

Quantum Physics - especially entanglement & nonlocality

• Like 3