Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Hidden Censor

The Necromancer

It was a summer evening when Tony Cornell tried to make the residents of Cambridge, England see a ghost. He got dressed up in a sheet and walked through a public park waving his arms about. Meanwhile his assistants observed the bystanders for any hint that they noticed something strange. No, this wasn’t Candid Camera. Cornell was a researcher interested in the paranormal. The idea was first to get people to notice the spectacle, and then see how they understood what their eyes were telling them. Would they see the apparition as a genuine ghost or as something more mundane, like a bloke in a bed sheet?...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/your-hidden-censor-what-your-mind-will-not-let-you-see/

Discuss please.

Our minds frequently miss stuff that's actually there, but our minds can also 'see' stuff that isn't really there as well. This is why scientific inquiry entails more than just observation....why science focuses far more on tangible irrefutable evidence that can be reproduced experimentally.

• Like 1

Perhaps the discussion could be expanded to include comments on the evil twin of subconscious selection bias: Peripheral Vision Psychosis (or Subliminal Distraction Disorder).

One article I read claims that people with ADD are "immune" to PVP! I found that astonishing, considering that many mass killings are carried out by young men that are being medically treated for ADD. Could it be that ADD is an asset rather than a disability, and we're stripping away the patients' natural defenses with medication?

Edited by simplybill

Reminds me of that video with the people playing ball with a man in a gorilla suit walking by.

• Like 1

That WAS interesting, but how do people miss that ENTIRELY?

And I guess it really depends what is meant by censor. I am kinda oblivious sometimes, to a lot of things. I'm going somewhere to do something and am not terribly concerned with things going on around me between me and my goal. I know this isn't probably healthy but it partly due to my anxiety where I have to give as little attention to peripheral things as I can or I start feeling confused and disoriented and distracted - maybe that's censoring? I guess it probably is.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two theories about this.

The apparition was a hoax, so people responded by ignoring it. They either didn't believe in ghosts so didn't give it a second look, or my other theory, there was no supernatural entity present so no one was spooked. Nothing from the other side = no one batted an eye lash.

If it was real, obviously there are some people who can't tell. Having esp myself, I don't know what it's like living free of them.

Is it disbelief or are they just not wired to notice them? I would like to meet people who believe in ghosts but have never sensed or seen one.

By the way, I am not their friends and do not see them as anything but evil and dangerous.