Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Paranormalcy

[Merged] 5 Year Old Telepathic Genius

73 posts in this topic

Merc14

I believe in telepathy, but I'm not sure what it is.

I am psychic, so I know things I shouldn't, but I don't know where telepathy ends and psychicness begins...

(Hey, I think I've just invented a word!)

...or are they the same thing?

Wow, we haven't had a real psychic here before so thanks for joining! So you have done all the tests and we can all go view the empirical evidence of your truly extraordinary skills?

Infernal Gnu

It's the Kwisatz Haderach, He has finally arrived! The superbeing, the "shortening of the way" that Frank Herbert wrote about in the Dune books!

• Like 1

Merc14

It's the Kwisatz Haderach, He has finally arrived! The superbeing, the "shortening of the way" that Frank Herbert wrote about in the Dune books!

My name is a killing word :-* yay geeks

Edited by Merc14

coolguy

Yeah he might be smart but he is not telepathic

Astra.

Is it same thoughts on two minds or two minds with same thoughts ?

Funny - it's also thought that twins share a certain type of telepathy between them....it's been known that one will finish a sentence of the other - or speak in perfect unison together - the same can be said for conjoined twins.

It's also been said that one may sense the pain of another (if separated) or if one is in trouble and / or in danger.

So yeah...it's interesting.

• Like 1

Merc14

Funny - it's also thought that twins share a certain type of telepathy between them....it's been known that one will finish a sentence of the other - or speak in perfect unison together - the same can be said for conjoined twins.

It's also been said that one may sense the pain of another (if separated) or if one is in trouble and / or in danger.

Astra, you are making a mistake (I say this with much trepidation mam) by mixing up telepathy with the very real power of the brain to connect with another, very closely binded, person. I know some twins and it is uncanny what they do but it is not supernatural. I think most folks underestimate the power of that gray matter we carry between our ears.

There is nothing supernatural about the emotional and physical tie between twins and every aspect of it can be explained by normal relations taken to the n'th degree. Amazing stuff but certainly not ESP.

AstralPhae

Hopefully its true.

acute

Wow, we haven't had a real psychic here before so thanks for joining! So you have done all the tests and we can all go view the empirical evidence of your truly extraordinary skills?

If I'm not mistaken, I may be detecting a little sarcasm!

Yes, I am psychic, and it has been proven almost daily, as far back as I remember.

I say it as a statement of fact. If you can't cope with that 'fact', then think of it as my opinion.

• Like 2

Paranormalcy

Merc14 is making an assertion of anecdotal evidence that he personally accepts, but which has no basis in reality and not one peer-reviewed scientist anywhere will support or acknowledge this twin telepathy myth. It has been studied quite a bit and likely still is, by numerous countries, and while there are indications in some labs that there might have been significant initial data to support it, like all other psychical or parapsychological research, this has all evaporated in peer scrutiny and attempts to repeat the experiment by others.

I know this is a paranormal site, so it's no surprise someone is saying "that isn't real", but I'm saying this in this specific context of someone trying to make an arbitrary, unproven distinction between one phenomenon and another. That's like saying to a comic book nerd, "Spiderman could never beat Batman" and expecting that has some sort of actual meaning.

Edited by Paranormalcy

Nuclear Wessel

These claims need to be tested in a controlled setting many times by large groups of scientists in order for me to even consider "telepathy" as a possibility.

Sundew

I'll relate an incident that happened to my sister. She went to a beach party with one of a pair of twins and several other people. As they were sitting around a fire with the usual small talk, the twin suddenly leaps to his feet, out of breath and frightened. It turns out that at that exact time his twin had been in an automobile wreck. He was not hurt fortunately, but somehow the terror of the accident seems to have traveled to his twin brother miles away. Interesting if not definitive proof.

• Like 2

Merc14

Merc14 is making an assertion of anecdotal evidence that he personally accepts, but which has no basis in reality and not one peer-reviewed scientist anywhere will support or acknowledge this twin telepathy myth. It has been studied quite a bit and likely still is, by numerous countries, and while there are indications in some labs that there might have been significant initial data to support it, like all other psychical or parapsychological research, this has all evaporated in peer scrutiny and attempts to repeat the experiment by others.

I know this is a paranormal site, so it's no surprise someone is saying "that isn't real", but I'm saying this in this specific context of someone trying to make an arbitrary, unproven distinction between one phenomenon and another. That's like saying to a comic book nerd, "Spiderman could never beat Batman" and expecting that has some sort of actual meaning.

Actually no, I am not making an assertion that twins share a telepathic connection. Quite the opposite in fact.

Myles

I think coincidence is often mistaken for telepathy.

Paranormalcy

Astra, you are making a mistake (I say this with much trepidation mam) by mixing up telepathy with the very real power of the brain to connect with another, very closely binded, person. I know some twins and it is uncanny what they do but it is not supernatural. I think most folks underestimate the power of that gray matter we carry between our ears.

Because another poster isn't the topic of this, I'll let the above stand on its own and say if I mischaracterized this as "asserting twin telepathy" (or some EQUIVELANT) exists, then I apologize and admit I made a mistake.

Regardless, back on topic. There are people suggesting the kid has some sort of incredible ability like Rainman, being autistic. Now that DOES make sense, and could be possible, maybe, since there HAVE been DOCUMENTED cases of mathematical ability of a perhaps comparable level by children. That the mother has to be in the room though - that presents just TOO much of an x-factor to move forward on this approach. When SHE is out of the room and he can do this, maybe. They say he demands she be in the room, so ok, blindfold HER and keep HER out of the loop. Are they doing this? No.

acute

Back on topic. There are people suggesting the kid has some sort of incredible ability like Rainman, being autistic. Now that DOES make sense, and could be possible, maybe, since there HAVE been DOCUMENTED cases of mathematical ability of a perhaps comparable level by children. That the mother has to be in the room though - that presents just TOO much of an x-factor to move forward on this approach. When SHE is out of the room and he can do this, maybe. They say he demands she be in the room, so ok, blindfold HER and keep HER out of the loop. Are they doing this? No.

I agree with this, except for the blindfold bit. Obtaining information telepathically would require the 'sender' to have the information in the first place. Having his mother look at the card (to 'transmit' the information) but be out of the room, would be an ok test.

• Like 2

Paranormalcy

ok yes then its not her eyes that need limited, its her hands and body language

• Like 2

acute

..... and the card must be chosen by a third party.

• Like 3

Calibeliever

And the James Randi prize remains unclaimed....

• Like 3

ChrLzs

Yes, Cali beat me to it. There's the Randi/JREF/ISO prize (which is now being re-designed..) and others awaiting anyone who can prove ESP or telepathy.

The Randi prize gets a lot of flack, and yet:

- the CLAIMANT designed the initial tests to see if there's even a glimmer of hope the claims are correct, and then PUBLICLY and open to all criticism, those tests were agreed upon as fair and reasonable both to the claimant and to a reasonable evidentiary standard.

Those who have tried (and remember they have agreed that the tests were fair), have all failed to get past that first stage - ie their powers were found to be non-existent or no better than normal chance.

If anyone wishes to argue that any of the challenges were unfairly designed or biased against the client, then you havta ask - why did the client agree? and also tell us why you think the test was unfair.

The excuse continually rolled out is that these things only happen under non-testable circumstances - and that is a total copout. It tells you all you need to know about whether the powers actually exist..

Then we get told that the claimants don't want to be tested - which, if you think about it, essentially means they don't want to have these skills (if they exist) researched and thence possibly shared with the rest of society (with all the huge benefits that would entail).

Seems a bit selfish to me, but I can also understand how people can trick themselves.

But then there's the truly ugly side - the snake oil merchants like Diane Powell who pretend to be experts and try to make money from books and seminars pushing the sort of lame claptrap and downright deceitful demonstrations as shown in this thread - grrrr.

• Like 1

Astra.

There is nothing supernatural about the emotional and physical tie between twins and every aspect of it can be explained by normal relations taken to the n'th degree. Amazing stuff but certainly not ESP.

Nevertheless Merc - I still find it interesting in the way (especially identical twins) are able to relate with each other.

I realize there is no empirical proof to confirm the concept of it being telepathy / ESP.

It might simply be because they share a closer genetic connection - and also because they know each other extremely well on a conscious and sub-conscious level.

Idk - as I am no expert on the issue of twins.

All I do know - is how amazing it is - in the way some twins relate to each other - by often using synchronised thought / speech patterns - that does not seem as relevant - as in non-twin sibblings.

Edited by Astra.

Astra.

I'll relate an incident that happened to my sister. She went to a beach party with one of a pair of twins and several other people. As they were sitting around a fire with the usual small talk, the twin suddenly leaps to his feet, out of breath and frightened. It turns out that at that exact time his twin had been in an automobile wreck. He was not hurt fortunately, but somehow the terror of the accident seems to have traveled to his twin brother miles away. Interesting if not definitive proof.

That is pretty bizzare - glad the person was ok.

third_eye

I see things like these so often during the course of my life I don;t even refer to it s 'telepathic' anymore ~ I just say 'connected'

Though it is more apparent in twins I don't subscribe to the view that it is specifically unique to twins ~ as people with very close connections too has constant experiences of such incidences ~ I tend to believe that everything is 'connected'

The hunter to the prey , the framer and his crop , the man and the woman , the parent and child , the pet and the owner ... actually Science has no disagreement with this , it is only the claims of the wackos/con preying on the gullibility of the vulnerable ~ just one of those things common in society across time ...

Because there is this definition of what ESP/telepathy means , that it must be 'reliable' and constant at the beck and call of someone with a flick of a switch like some battery operated mechanism ~

~ so yeah ... by those defines telepathy or ESP does not exist nor will it ever be proven to exist ~ what we do know is we are all connected ~ each and everyone of us ... just by virtue of living on this lovely planet of ours and sharing the same passing of time ... good and bad

~

• Like 3

Merc14

Nevertheless Merc - I still find it interesting in the way (especially identical twins) are able to relate with each other.

I realize there is no empirical proof to confirm the concept of it being telepathy / ESP.

It might simply be because they share a closer genetic connection - and also because they know each other extremely well on a conscious and sub-conscious level.

Idk - as I am no expert on the issue of twins.

All I do know - is how amazing it is - in the way some twins relate to each other - by often using synchronised thought / speech patterns - that does not seem as relevant - as in non-twin sibblings.

I agree with you there. I know a two sets of twins and both definitely have a very close connection to each other. They seem to have a constant flow of communication going that only they understand and finish each other's sentences without missing a word. I think it is from being so close to each other from the first day of life and being o similar genetically. I've never seen anything telepathic or supernatural, and neither set has ever said that something telepathic runs between them but the human-connection seems to be a level above most human interaction.

I guess some folks see this connection as a psychic link but that has been tested under controlled conditions and nothing supernatural has ever been proven. IMHO if psychic abilities really existed they would manifest themselves in this already close relationship but that doesn't seem to be the case. That is not to say there isn't some higher connection we aren't aware of or don't know to look for but I don't know how to quantify that.

• Like 2

Astra.

I see things like these so often during the course of my life I don;t even refer to it s 'telepathic' anymore ~ I just say 'connected'

Though it is more apparent in twins I don't subscribe to the view that it is specifically unique to twins ~ as people with very close connections too has constant experiences of such incidences ~ I tend to believe that everything is 'connected'

The hunter to the prey , the framer and his crop , the man and the woman , the parent and child , the pet and the owner ... actually Science has no disagreement with this , it is only the claims of the wackos/con preying on the gullibility of the vulnerable ~ just one of those things common in society across time ...

Because there is this definition of what ESP/telepathy means , that it must be 'reliable' and constant at the beck and call of someone with a flick of a switch like some battery operated mechanism ~

~ so yeah ... by those defines telepathy or ESP does not exist nor will it ever be proven to exist ~ what we do know is we are all connected ~ each and everyone of us ... just by virtue of living on this lovely planet of ours and sharing the same passing of time ... good and bad

Thank you third_ eye for so eloquently putting that.

It is a subject that I do not usually give much thought to - as we are so busy with our lives - we tend to take much of life for granted.

I suppose in one way or another - everything on the planet is connected - as in being interwoven and entwined.

All in all - it is a fascinating concept - and one worth pondering over.

• Like 1

Calibeliever

I've never met anyone who hasn't had some experience in their life that felt paranormal. Reaching for the phone before it rings and knowing who was on the other line, seeing an event on the street you are convinced you dreamt of a few days ago, etc.

I've had enough in my life to convince me that there might be something going on beyond our realm of understanding, but to prove that is an entirely different proposition. I think this is where the line gets drawn that upsets people. They want to be believed, but science just doesn't take people's word for things. It requires repeatable results.

• Like 4