Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gladiator Colosseum Found in Tuscany

Still Waters

Italian archaeologists have unearthed remains of an oval structure that might represent the most important Roman amphitheater finding over the last century.

The foundations of the colosseum, which is oval-shaped like the much larger arena in the heart of Rome, were found in the town of Volterra and might date back to the 1st century A.D. Amphitheaters like these were used during Roman times to feature events including gladiator combats and wild animal fights.

http://news.discover...cany-151111.htm

• Like 3

great historical find..

but it always completely astounds me to think of such places, which celebrated and glorified such horrendous brutality, being so popular for so long. Can you imagine being in the Crowd!*? I'd think they were completely insane.

• Like 1

10,000 people watching every movement of your sword, willing you to make that killer blow.

• Like 1

wow they actually had to dig to find this gigantic amphitheater that is awesome.

• Like 1

yup, cities do seem to bury, and build upon, earlier things..

ya, i guess so Taun, but still, the mindset involved to so thoroughly enjoy mass slaughter.. blows mine. I think you'd have to be nuts!

Edited by lightly

While gladiator fights were dangerous, they werent as deadly as they get depicted in television. They were dangerous and deadly, but not so much for their time.

And keep in mind, we have very dangerous sports around today with large amphitheatres.

^.. well, i guess i'm beginning to understand that but still, still, a Lot of gladiators died and some of the more popular crowd pleasers were mass execution of criminals and mass slaughters of animals, (hunts) and feeding people to animals.. i still say they had to be insane. :0)

Public executions were pretty popular until pretty recently. Last public executions was in the 30s. Half the reason people got to NASCAR is for the crashes. Things haven't changed that much.

• Like 1

unfortunately , i guess your substantially right ShadowStalker. ;

• Like 1

Half the reason people got to NASCAR is for the crashes. Things haven't changed that much.

That's a commonplace, but I think it may be so only because Our Betters look down on the NASCAR crowd.