Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US senate votes to legalize space mining

UM-Bot

A new bill has been approved that will make it possible for companies to mine resources from asteroids.

Until very recently space mining had always been regarded as a bit of a legal gray area - not least because existing laws make it impossible for anyone to claim ownership over anything in space.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ze-space-mining

The problem with this law is that it has no validity outside the USA. THe US can grant whatever rights it wants to what ever company it wants but since, by international law, the US government can not claim ownership of any celestial body there is nothing to stop a company from another nation deciding to mine the same asteroid/piece of the Moon/planet (delete where applicable).

• Like 2

The problem with this law is that it has no validity outside the USA. THe US can grant whatever rights it wants to what ever company it wants but since, by international law, the US government can not claim ownership of any celestial body there is nothing to stop a company from another nation deciding to mine the same asteroid/piece of the Moon/planet (delete where applicable).

My sentiments exactly. Does the USA think they own the universe ?

I'd like to see how these mining operators propose to transport whatever it is they're mining back to earth ...

My sentiments exactly. Does the USA think they own the universe ?

Actually, since the USA were one of the original signatories of the UN Outer Space Treaty, no they don't.

My comment was in no way intended to make any implications about US imperialistic intentions, it was simply to point out the problems inherent in such a unilateral law.

I'd like to see how these mining operators propose to transport whatever it is they're mining back to earth ...

if these are serious plans, i guess whoever is undertaking such an operation has crunched their numbers good, and if there's Profit to be made, there will be a way to haul the stuff back to good ol' earth.

Boy, i sure wish someone would ask me for my profession, and i could reply "SPACE MINER"!

• Like 1

space mining? we cant get people to mars yet not alone go mining in space! Americans are power minded and will do anything to make a buck even tho making that buck is harder then stealing oil from our countries

While you raise a valid point - that other companies can freely set up competing mining operations on the same celestial body - I don't see the way this law has been parsed as particularly unworkable. It only protects the material the company is able to mine as being "owned" by that company and in no way sets out to determine ownership of any celestial body.

So, it's not the validity of the law - which any nation would agree is absolutely fine - but how to police the "ownership" of the mined raw materials that is the real issue. Without having any way of enforcing this ownership as protected under law, then all this law does is promote the concept of "possession is 9/10ths of the law" that extra 1/10th. Thus, the companies become the law unto themselves.

Edited by Leonardo

space mining?

Yep.

we cant get people to mars yet not alone go mining in space!

Since the companies, which already exist, propose to do the mining with unmanned vehicles the fact that we can't get people to Mars yet is totally irrelevant=ent.

Americans are power minded and will do anything to make a buck even tho making that buck is harder then stealing oil from our countries

Lay off the anti-USA rhetoric please and stay on topic.

• Like 1

Thus, the companies become the law unto themselves.

Which is a very, VERY bad idea.

• Like 2

This is not meant to be anti US... sometimes the truth hurts but i have the right to express my concerns. Yet in this case it IS funny how americans think they own the space and has the authority to "allow" people/contries to do this or that. I can only console myself about the fact China and Russia doesn't give a flying fu_k.

US should concern itself about paying off their astronommical debts. They can't afford to invest in astro-mining, but i am sure they would love to sell licenses to others for something they don't own ;-) as usual.

Edited by Captain Dumbass

did someone detect a diamond encrusted or gold coated asteroid ?

i think it would be nice to have an International law proclaiming all valuables in local space to be shared internationally. Seem fair?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

This is not meant to be anti US... sometimes the truth hurts but i have the right to express my concerns. Yet in this case it IS funny how americans think they own the space and has the authority to "allow" people/contries to do this or that. I can only console myself about the fact China and Russia doesn't give a flying fu_k.

US should concern itself about paying off their astronommical debts. They can't afford to invest in astro-mining, but i am sure they would love to sell licenses to others for something they don't own ;-) as usual.

We don't think we own space but we will take advantage of it and make sure our companies that spend trillions going after this stuff can keep what they mine, not own the land. We are a planet that is running out of natural resources and it would be wise for your country to look into it themselves instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting for someone else to bring it to them. Maybe you should concern yourself more with Denmark since you think companies spending money on miniing will somehow raise our national debt but thank you for the concern anyway.

Ever consider Russia and China don't care because they plan on doing it themselves.

This is exactly how you progress. You won't make an income by sending people to mars. But knowing you can make money from a resource in space, drives innovation. Follow the money. I'm surprised that they did pass this law. They can't even get the keystone pipeline being passed without veto. There is either a quick talking lobbyist or congress thought this was so absurd, they weren't taking it seriously.

China wants to go to the moon to mine for isotope helium-3 so I imagine not only the US but the Chinese and Russians will be there to. So anyone that thinks the US will be the only one doing this isn't thinking. Instead of owning the property being mined I imagine there will be claims staked out by different countries kind of like the gold miners use to do.

http://www.triplepundit.com/2015/01/will-chinas-mining-moon-make-indisputable-global-power/

The nascent asteroid mining industry is pushing the United States to pass legislation clarifying the matter since the United States has obligations to regulate its country’s private space activities under international law.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/space_20/2014/10/asteroid_mining_and_space_law_who_gets_to_profit_from_outer_space_platinum.html

• Like 1

You need to read the article. They DID NOT say they would own the asteroid.

Also, why do you say "THEY" can't afford to do this. This IS NOT government funded.

How was your entire post "not meant to be anti USA"? :td:

• Like 1

I think this is a good thing. Maybe entice companies to develop technology that can be useful for all.

• Like 2

Blimey.

Does this mean that the film Outland wasn't far from the truth then?

But here's a thought While yes, this isn't a land grab - oops, I mean asteroid grab(!) - by the US, has the Senate not been made aware that their powers only exist to hold domain over the country, really not the solar system?

i think it would be nice to have an International law proclaiming all valuables in local space to be shared internationally. Seem fair?

That would be tough. Someone had to invest the time and money to go get it. You think they should share it with everyone?

I'd be fine with a small percentage I suppose. It'd have to be a percentage of the profit. Not sure how that would then be divided.

I don't see why anyone would have issue with this being passed. It will certainly get the technology going.

This will only ensure that rich pockets explode and create the richest people in corporations to date, thus separating the classes even further. In a perfect society, this is a good idea. In the current society we have here right now, this is a horrible idea.

Let's try and live in space first, before we start digging into it.

Interesting but are not most asteroids made primarily of iron or stone? It would seem that unless you have rare metals or gems the cost would outweigh the benefits of space mining.