Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google car pulled over for being too slow

Still Waters

You reall think everyone on Earth will give driving up to the machines?

I for one am not letting a computer drive me around.

You have no idea how dinosaurish that sounds.
  • Like 1

I would say though that there will still be accidents, since cars that drive themselves will have to calculate probabilities rather than certainties. With other cars also driving themselves that won't be hard, but until the transition is completed and there still are people driving, the computers will have to err on the side of caution in the assumptions about the other cars that makes -- hence going too slow.

A few weeks ago I saw a terrible accident where a truck hit a water buffalo. Now what is an automatic car gonna do when it detects a water buffalo walking near the road? It's gonna have to slow down 'cause there's no predicting one of those things.

• Like 1

You have no idea how dinosaurish that sounds.

61202596.jpg

Well excuse me for not wanting to put my life in the hands of a calculator! :D You know, half the fun of having a car is driving it. Remember back when the "Smart" car came out, and everyone was saying that in a few years everyone would be driving one? Well, it's 2015 and I've only seen maybe a total of ten.

I'm not technophobic, I have an iPad2, after all. Technology can do great things, but I draw the line at self-driving cars. Is that ok with all of you?

Well excuse me for not wanting to put my life in the hands of a calculator! Is that ok with all of you?

No. No it's not. You put your life in the hands of a "calculator" every day when you step outside. Drive a car? A calculator built that. Stoplights? Calculator. Ever fly in a plane? Calculator. Take any meds? Made and packed by calculators. Buy any pre packaged foods? Calculators.

Good luck living in the modern world without putting your life in the hands of a "calculator".

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Even Arnie has trouble with them!
  • Like 2

You reall think everyone on Earth will give driving up to the machines?

I for one am not letting a computer drive me around.

You won't really have a choice because the roads will be one big cooperative unit and cars that aren't part of the system will muck it up. It will in fact be illegal to drive in many places. At first it will just be in and around big cities so people will be able to drive in rural areas for a while after this is implemented but sooner or later that will go away too. I'm imagining this will be paid for by taxing the living daylights out of us but since we won't have all of the expenses associated with owning a car it won't really seem like that big of a hit to our wallets.

I think what some people aren't understanding is that it won't be a million cars making individual decisions each car will be acting as part of a larger whole and the decisions the cars will be making will be part of a group decision. Believe it or not this will bring traffic accidents down nearly to zero and probably eliminate fatalities completely.

Austin, in your last life you were probably dead set against cars and said "I'll never give up my horse for one of those infernal machines"

• Like 1

I though this was a place where one was free to have opinions, it seems I was wrong. :(

Also, I do not want to be part of a swarm, in any way, shape or form.

I though this was a place where one was free to have opinions, it seems I was wrong. :(

Also, I do not want to be part of a swarm, in any way, shape or form.

So because several people disagree with you, you no longer are free to have an opinion?

On a DISCUSSION board, there are going to be people who disagree with you and DISCUSS things. If you want a bunch of yes men, try one of the less reputable forums.