Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bagpipes played in space for the first time

UM-Bot

Astronaut Kjell Lindgren recorded a video of himself playing the instrument as a tribute to Victor Hurst.

In a scene reminiscent of that at the end of \'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan\', the sound of \'Amazing Grace\' being played on the bagpipes drifted through the International Space Station this week in tribute to research scientist and instructor Victor Hurst who passed away last month.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/288462/bagpipes-played-in-space-for-the-first-time

• Like 1

In space, no one can hear you play bagpipes.

Fortunately.

• Like 6

That took guts to play them a spacecraft. Bagpipes are very difficult to master. I guess he did well enough they didn't throw him out the airlock.

• Like 5

I am not impressed until its done in a Darth Vadar suit, Shooting Flames on a unicycle playing the star wars theme...

Edited by Silver Surfer
  • Like 1

Next up ... Riverdance in Space ~

• Like 3

That should keep the Vogon Constructor Fleet at bay.

(Actually I like the pipes)

• Like 4

Maybe that would be a wow! signal on some far away planet.

WOW! Do not go to earth!

Edited by Shiloh17
  • Like 1

I guess he did well enough they didn't throw him out the airlock.

This is how well he did:

NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren plays Amazing Grace on the bagpipes

NASA astronaut Kjell Lindgren plays Amazing Grace on the bagpipes from the International Space Station. Kjell is a member of the Expedition 44/45 crew.

Credit: NASA Johnson

Source: NASA Johnson - YouTube Channel

• Like 3

I heard it the first time, Waspie I am not much for pipes, even though I like Celtic music. Like I said, he did well enough not to be thrown out the airlock.

already happened!

~media snip

Okay then ... next up ~ Natasha the Supreme Inter Galactic Pole Dancer ...

:tu:

~edit : page break

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

This is pretty impressive. Good on him

It takes quite a bit of diligence and patience to master the bagpipes - he did a great job.

Being able to play music while up in space is known to help astronauts combat feelings of isolation.

http://thescienceexp...re-played-space

I remember a revised version of David Bowie's Space Oddity - recorded by Commander Chris Hadfield on board the International Space Station. He loved his guitar.

• Like 1

Okay then ... next up ~ Natasha the Supreme Inter Galactic Pole Dancer ...

:tu:

Pole dancing in zero gravity is bound to result in some new and interesting moves. :whistle:

• Like 1

Pole dancing in zero gravity is bound to result in some new and interesting moves. :whistle:

Exactly !!! We need to sit down and work it all out , then we can sweep in the finds for this worthy artistically inclined venture ~ :D

• Like 1

Exactly !!! We need to sit down and work it all out , then we can sweep in the finds for this worthy artistically inclined venture ~ :D

I might be persuaded to go up there, with a pole dancer, to study the effects of pole dancing in weightlessness. :innocent:

• Like 1

If bagpipes would be played during an EVA, the bagpipe would work as a cold gas thruster device. So alienz

may think we use cold gas thruster devices to make music, if not in regular use.

Edited by toast