Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Waster" warns dozens of churches

Michelle

MCMINN COUNTY, TN (WRCB) -

More than 50 churches in McMinn County are trying to figure out who is sending strange, anonymous letters that bash their Christian religion.

Over the past couple of weeks, nearly six dozen churches (across denominations) in McMinn County, Monroe County, and Murray County, Ga. have received a letter from "The Waster."

While the person hasn't made any specific threats, it has many congregations on high alert.

Several churches have spotted the man on surveillance camera. But the cryptic way in which he signs his name is making many church-goers uneasy.

"The guy is saying his name is The Waster," said Det. Blake Witt, McMinn Co. Sheriff's Office. "There's a biblical scripture and verse that talks about The Waster, and he states that in the letter."

"The Waster" signs his name with the Bible verse, Isaiah 54:16, which reads, in part, "I have created the waster to destroy."

cont...

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/30542622/the-waster-warns-dozens-of-churches-with-strange-letter

Threats on all fronts are abound.

Oh good. Another insane person. I just love insane people, makes me long for the good old days when we had state run insane asylums and orbital lobotomy's were all the rage.

• Like 4

The guy doesn't know that the future is uncertain. Shouldn't proclaim before actions.

I don't know why they say he is bashing their religion. Seems like he's a little too into it.

Why? Because he uses a Bible verse? That is the usual tactic of athiests...using their own scripture against them. People usually use the Koran against Islam too.

• Like 2

Why? Because he uses a Bible verse? That is the usual tactic of athiests...using their own scripture against them. People usually use the Koran against Islam too.

And crazy religious nutters also use bible verses. So what? It could go either way.

• Like 1

Put Goat/Lamb Blood on the Door frames.It worked for the Destroyer to pass over households in Exodus.

• Like 1

Oh good. Another insane person. I just love insane people, makes me long for the good old days when we had state run insane asylums and orbital lobotomy's were all the rage.

They'ré not insane persons any more. Now they're promoted to Terrorists. That's much more glamorous.

And crazy religious nutters also use bible verses. So what? It could go either way.

About the only group I would write off, at the moment, are white supremacists considering the demographics and general attitude of the people in those particular counties.

• Like 1

About the only group I would write off, at the moment, are white supremacists considering the demographics and general attitude of the people in those particular counties.

True. And after re-reading letter, mainly the opening line referencing "the judeo-christian religions of the world" I would have to agree that it is more in keeping with one of the many, many, stupid militant atheists that give the rest of us heathens a bad name.

• Like 4

He isn't sending his little love notes to Mosques or public utilities though, is he? If I read the folks in Tennessee correctly, I suspect he might be biting off more than he wants to chew - church goers or not :w00t:
  • Like 1

He isn't sending his little love notes to Mosques or public utilities though, is he? If I read the folks in Tennessee correctly, I suspect he might be biting off more than he wants to chew - church goers or not :w00t:

The letters have been sent to a Georgia county too. These are very rural areas with lots of forrests on the mountain ranges in between the farms. Avid hunters they are too. Cross someone out there and you just might disappear, never to be seen again. It has happened. I know how to talk to them because my husband and I both have family over yonder. Being able to drop a few names helps too. I wouldn't mess with them though. :tu:

Edited by Michelle

True. And after re-reading letter, mainly the opening line referencing "the judeo-christian religions of the world" I would have to agree that it is more in keeping with one of the many, many, stupid militant atheists that give the rest of us heathens a bad name.

I disagree entirely...As an Atheist....I believe if this person is an Atheist....he wouldn't bother wasting his time. I believe he is either a Muslim...or a Christian who has seen how the Church really is and is mad at the religion.

• Like 1

I disagree entirely...As an Atheist....I believe if this person is an Atheist....he wouldn't bother wasting his time. I believe he is either a Muslim...or a Christian who has seen how the Church really is and is mad at the religion.

He and I are both atheists. If you want to see militant atheists peruse the Spirituality vs Skepticism board here. You'd be surprised how much time they waste. :tu:

• Like 1

See what I mean? He's been promoted to Terrorist already. He must be congratulating himself at getting all this publicity already for whatever cranky little obsession may be taking up his limited mental capacity.

I think he's more likely to be a Christian - for two reasons.

1: The whole thrust of the letter is that the Churches haven't taught all the commandments, so people are going to Hell unnecessarily. That's not an atheist argument I've ever heard before.

2: He uses the phrase "Thus fulfilling the prophecy that came out of the Christ's mouth". Conceding prophecy to Christ - also not high on most atheist to-do lists.

Whoever he is - he's old school. He's using the King James translation and writing letters by hand.

• Like 4

Well, it was only in my local news, so I guess I could be blamed for bringing attention to it. :blush:

If it had been a KKK member sending these notes to 50 black churches...now that would have been national news! :whistle:

• Like 1

1: The whole thrust of the letter is that the Churches haven't taught all the commandments, so people are going to Hell unnecessarily. That's not an atheist argument I've ever heard before.

2: He uses the phrase "Thus fulfilling the prophecy that came out of the Christ's mouth". Conceding prophecy to Christ - also not high on most atheist to-do lists.

Whoever he is - he's old school. He's using the King James translation and writing letters by hand.

Would you mind highlighting this information within a link?

Would you mind highlighting this information within a link?

It's from the link in your OP, second image on the right is a picture of one of his letters. I've taken a copy and circled the paragraph the text appears in, in red.

TheWaster_zpsw98vbdcv.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you! No, I didn't zoom in on the letter. It does kind of sound like another religious fanatic has gone off the deep end. It seems we have no shortage of those lately, whatever religion they belong to.

Oh... I missed the prophecy part. Good catch. I want to change my answer back to religious nutter.