Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Star Wars' versus 'Star Trek' fans debate

Still Waters

"May the Force be with you" vs. "Live Long and Prosper," lightsabers vs. phasers, warp drive vs. hyperdrive. The fan debate over which story, technology, space ships and characters are superior started a long time ago.

To casual moviegoers, there is not much difference between "Star Trek," the sci-fi franchise that launched on television in 1966, and "Star Wars," which debuted on movie screens in 1977. Yet to hard-core fans the differences are as significant as those between tribbles and droids.

https://uk.news.yaho...04.html#VR7CiDr

• Like 1

Trek forever.

:P

post-142153-0-33287200-1449063148_thumb.

• Like 5

Star trek debuted in 66, so its obviously the superior product.

And they have jump suits and short skirts so that settles it hands down.

• Like 2

Star Trek is pure science fiction, while Star Wars is a historical documentary of something that happened "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

• Like 4

Star trek debuted in 66, so its obviously the superior product.

And they have jump suits and short skirts so that settles it hands down.

You sir are most logical.

post-142153-0-84026100-1449063574_thumb.

• Like 2

Star Trek is pure science fiction, while Star Wars is a historical documentary of something that happened "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

I will leave you to your human emotions.

post-142153-0-34986500-1449063908_thumb.

• Like 1

Truthfully I am a huge fan of both. One is more fantastical and one more science fiction. They both take us out of the reality of this world. My childhood memories are so tied up with both I can't choose a favourite.

Truthfully I am a huge fan of both. One is more fantastical and one more science fiction. They both take us out of the reality of this world. My childhood memories are so tied up with both I can't choose a favourite.

Maybe this will make it so?

post-142153-0-74164900-1449084867_thumb.

if i was on a deserted island i would want the trek movies with me rather than the star wars movies, i'll watch star trek the motion picture over the prequels any day of the week.

• Like 1

I think there is only one good Star Trek movie: The Wrath of Khan. The rest is either mediocre or outright cringe worthy, I love the shows, some a bit more, some a bit less, and I do not think the movies should be used as a reference.

If I'd have to choose between the movies, it's Star Wars all they way. If the shows are included, it's going to be a close call.

• Like 3

Trek forever.

:P

Someone once used the published specs of both Trek and Wars and did a side by side comparison - the Enterprise E would be able to take maybe three TurboLaser hits before exploding, and could shoot all day long at a Star Destroyer and do sod all damage. IIRC a ship mounted Phaser is about as powerful as an X-Wing.

However, Teleporters edge things in Treks favour (Star Destroyers DO have shields by the way, that's what the golf balls on the flying bridge are). Wars has speed and real space maneuverablity though.

Also "never underestimate the power of the Force" ;) the most powerful Trek telekines are the Ocampa, and they still need to be in the room with you. Vader killed a bloke several thousand kilometres away once.

There also this great fanfic that matches them up, Unity I think its called.

The Empire is appalled at Teleporters, it offends them thst people would be willing to effectively die to be remade at another location. The "Vader meets the Klingon Ambassador" scene is hilarious, it ends with the ambassador just choking on thin air as Vader strides away. And Thrawn turns up, spends several months fighting (and BEATING) the Borg (TurboLasers FTW, they're chemical based and just burn through the Cubes, the Borg adapt, naturally, but the kinetic force of the impacts still do damage) and then simply asks the Federation if it'd be willing to show him their art (Thrawn believes that you can sum up a cultures strengths and weaknesses via its art, he's incredibly successful doing so too). Turns out Seven of Nine has Force sensitivity.

Highlight?

Picard, the Emperors prisoner, knowing full well hell be dead or tortured in minutes, asked to officially surrender launches into a great speech about what the Federation stands for, and then tells the Emperor to get stuffed in the most Picard way possible, with an Age-of-Sail naval reference.

• Like 4

Trek debuted in '66, Emperor Palpatine executed Order 66 - coincidence, I think not!

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 4

Someone once used the published specs of both Trek and Wars and did a side by side comparison - the Enterprise E would be able to take maybe three TurboLaser hits before exploding, and could shoot all day long at a Star Destroyer and do sod all damage. IIRC a ship mounted Phaser is about as powerful as an X-Wing.

However, Teleporters edge things in Treks favour (Star Destroyers DO have shields by the way, that's what the golf balls on the flying bridge are). Wars has speed and real space maneuverablity though.

Also "never underestimate the power of the Force" ;) the most powerful Trek telekines are the Ocampa, and they still need to be in the room with you. Vader killed a bloke several thousand kilometres away once.

There also this great fanfic that matches them up, Unity I think its called.

The Empire is appalled at Teleporters, it offends them thst people would be willing to effectively die to be remade at another location. The "Vader meets the Klingon Ambassador" scene is hilarious, it ends with the ambassador just choking on thin air as Vader strides away. And Thrawn turns up, spends several months fighting (and BEATING) the Borg (TurboLasers FTW, they're chemical based and just burn through the Cubes, the Borg adapt, naturally, but the kinetic force of the impacts still do damage) and then simply asks the Federation if it'd be willing to show him their art (Thrawn believes that you can sum up a cultures strengths and weaknesses via its art, he's incredibly successful doing so too). Turns out Seven of Nine has Force sensitivity.

Highlight?

Picard, the Emperors prisoner, knowing full well hell be dead or tortured in minutes, asked to officially surrender launches into a great speech about what the Federation stands for, and then tells the Emperor to get stuffed in the most Picard way possible, with an Age-of-Sail naval reference.

LOL!

It sounds biased to me.

I think there is only one good Star Trek movie: The Wrath of Khan. The rest is either mediocre or outright cringe worthy, I love the shows, some a bit more, some a bit less, and I do not think the movies should be used as a reference.

If I'd have to choose between the movies, it's Star Wars all they way. If the shows are included, it's going to be a close call.

I very much understand.

Yes Kahn's wrath rules! Though Kirk should have been court marshaled for not raising the Enterprise's Shields.

• Like 2

LOL!

It sounds biased to me.

The fanfic?

Nah, it's biased towards favourite characters. Plain Simple Garak took out a couple of Bounty Hunters and stole their ship, Leia outwits the Dominion by threatening to destroy "that bush over there" with a blaster (because she Forced that it was a Founder) etc.

• Like 1

Trek debuted in '66, Emperor Palpatine executed Order 66 - coincidence, I think not!

There are four lights in testimony to this.

• Like 1

Millennium Vulcan

ChewSpocka

Han Sulu

Kirk Skywalker

Data Fett

Scotty Vader

Jabba the Prime Directive

May the Dilithium Crystal be with you

Pike Saber

AT AT Walker is futile

Khan Solo

post-142153-0-41901800-1449093990_thumb.

post-142153-0-26121200-1449094014_thumb.

post-142153-0-00362300-1449094034_thumb.

post-142153-0-46420800-1449094138_thumb.

Science fiction vs. Science fantasy

Star Trek is clean, straight and stiff. Star Wars is dirty, loose and relaxed.

Star Trek is superior in story (overall); it's slower-paced, a thinking-persons' drama. . Star Wars in superior in action; it's a roller-coaster of excitement, the original Summer Blockbuster.

Star Trek is set in a universe. Star Wars is just a saga (currently).

But: Star Trek is small in scale. Star Wars is huge in scope.

Lightsabers are badass. Phasers are just another form of ray-gun.

Star Wars has Jar-Jar (or do we count the prequels? I'm okay if we don't), Star Wars has Ewoks. Star Trek humanizes each and every villainous race to the point that there nothing more than just humans in funny makeup.

Star Trek has Roddenberry. A bit overrated, but a visionary of the future. Star Wars has Lucas. He's batshat crazy now.

Star Trek has too much dues ex machina, too much handwavium at times. Star Wars just bludgeons it's way to the climax and if you don't hold on to the end, too bad.

I like them both. I tend to favor Star Wars a bit more, cause I'm just a giant kid still, but Star Trek (especially the Original Series and Enterprise, not the PC-driven, liberal-utopia of the NG) is still fun. It's classic.

Although:

Both have been touched by the same person (Abrams), so is there anything different from them now--yeah, I know, that's only nu-Trek vs nu-Wars.

• Like 1

"Official" specs are always somewhat...suspect, especially compared with the on-screen performance.

Besides which, warp drives don't need to recharge after each jump like a hyperdrive. and underpowered or not, phasers have the amazing ability to actually hit what they're aiming at.

*Raised eyebrow, Spock style*

Might we be forgetting about the Q?

Might we be forgetting about the Q?

But Q is merely a McGuffin, another bit of Star Trek "handwavium". I'm glad Star Wars doesn't have anything like that, but the presence of "the Force" seems to fit that roll to a somewhat lesser degree.

Q works for Star Trek, the Force wouldn't--though look at TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" for a taste of Star Trek Force.

The Force works for Star Wars, it's an integral part of ... everything in that universe. Q wouldn't work well in that kind of a setting.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

There are four lights in testimony to this.

https://youtu.be/0NFITME0zI8

One of the more powerful moments in science fiction history. Especially when Picard admits to Deanna Troi that for the briefest of moments he did actually see five lights. Even Picard is human.

But Q is merely a McGuffin, another bit of Star Trek "handwavium". I'm glad Star Wars doesn't have anything like that, but the presence of "the Force" seems to fit that roll to a somewhat lesser degree.

Q works for Star Trek, the Force wouldn't--though look at TOS episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" for a taste of Star Trek Force.

The Force works for Star Wars, it's an integral part of ... everything in that universe. Q wouldn't work well in that kind of a setting.

Handwavium you say....

to4ZTET.gif

Handwavium you say....

to4ZTET.gif

It's more of an intergal part of the story, not just so much handwavium. :) The Force is important to the Star Wars story. Q is not that important to Star Trek.

Did you make that yourself? I figuratively laugh my ass off. Well done.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard