Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reincarnation ?

lolaivanna

I don't know about other Earth's existing or not but Biblical evidence suggests they wouldn't be necessary as places from which to cross pollinate souls to Earth, or vice versa. That's not to completely discount other worlds possible existence. In fact, given the size of this Creation, other Earths NOT existing would be an incredible waste of space, imo. I'm just saying I do not believe souls need to be imported/exported to/from Earth.

(As an aside - the statement of the LORD to multiply believers beyond the number of grains of sand is bolstered if saved souls from b/trillions of Earths throughout creation are taken into account.)

Any soul first needs to be created. The journey they then take after creation would be up to their Creator. In the book of Kings, much to-do is made about newly dead Kings going to "sleep with their fathers" This suggests to me their souls have literally been put in some sort of suspended animation.

Other times the Bible speaks of "raising up" individuals or groups of people to accomplish certain goals. That could mean the LORD intends to be a part of their lives, activity molding them throughout their lives into a finished product of his making. Or, it could mean he will 'wake up' souls he already knows will behave in the desired way to accomplish his goals, from their sleep.

An interesting wiev about reinkarnation have old Hindu philosophies. For example see Sankhya (or Samkhya), Brahmasutras, ....etc. According those philosophies all living in nature is subject to reincarnation. From viruses to humans. And it does not end with man. Supenatural beings should also be reincarnated, but in spiritual worlds. According to this philosophy is the evolution toward higher forms.

• Like 2

Why does the Earths population go up?

If I understand your question Sakari, you are asking--"if" souls were reincarnating, why or how is it that the population goes up? Where do the extra souls needed, come from?

If you think of "the spirit" within a person as a person, this will never make sense. But the spirit within a person is not a person at all. As mentioned, the flesh gives birth to flesh, but the spirit gives birth to spirit and one is not the other, but apart from the other except for a short time. The flesh is temporary, the spirit is eternal.

People have no problem thinking of eternity in terms of something that has no end, but they too easily dismiss the idea of something that has had no beginning. This "wind" within us is the breath of Life and you do not know where it goes (when you die) nor where it has come from (when you are born).

So think of Life. The Life that is within a tree is not diminished in the slightest when the tree produces fruit with seed and when that fruit falls and dies or when the fruit is eaten by birds and the seed carried away. When the seed reaches soil and when it sprouts another tree shoots up and in time that tree produces fruit with seed as well... But the original tree is not diminished by the new tree or by the generations of many trees that spring from the first tree. Yet each and every tree has Life within itself. Life is not diminished either, not in any way by it's presence in many trees rather than just in that first tree. Life, over time-- becomes more abundant Life, generation after generation.

So too with the population of the earth--- which is just a word for the soil that first tree sprang from.

If I understand your question Sakari, you are asking--"if" souls were reincarnating, why or how is it that the population goes up? Where do the extra souls needed, come from?

If you think of "the spirit" within a person as a person, this will never make sense. But the spirit within a person is not a person at all. As mentioned, the flesh gives birth to flesh, but the spirit gives birth to spirit and one is not the other, but apart from the other except for a short time. The flesh is temporary, the spirit is eternal.

People have no problem thinking of eternity in terms of something that has no end, but they too easily dismiss the idea of something that has had no beginning. This "wind" within us is the breath of Life and you do not know where it goes (when you die) nor where it has come from (when you are born).

So think of Life. The Life that is within a tree is not diminished in the slightest when the tree produces fruit with seed and when that fruit falls and dies or when the fruit is eaten by birds and the seed carried away. When the seed reaches soil and when it sprouts another tree shoots up and in time that tree produces fruit with seed as well... But the original tree is not diminished by the new tree or by the generations of many trees that spring from the first tree. Yet each and every tree has Life within itself. Life is not diminished either, not in any way by it's presence in many trees rather than just in that first tree. Life, over time-- becomes more abundant Life, generation after generation.

So too with the population of the earth--- which is just a word for the soil that first tree sprang from.

Thats a very roundabout way of trying to justify something.

It's not "justifying" anything. It's explaining something.

If you want something less "roundabout" try this...

Start by making one clay pot and fill it with water from the stream. Then with the same material make another and likewise, fill it from the stream.

The stream is not made less by your taking from it, yet both jars are filled.

Do this a thousand times if you like. Each is filled from the same stream, but the stream is no less than it was at the start. Break some pots and the water spills on to the ground and you think it is no more, but in the summer the clouds bring rain and each winter the mountains receive snow and the lakes are filled and the stream keeps running season after season.

Oh dear--- that's kind of roundabout.... ummmmm.... You know this thread is about reincarnation, right?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2015 at 3:49 PM, EEHC said:

"To be born, die, again be reborn, and so progress unceasingly, such is the law"

- Allan Kardec

Recincarnation makes sense as a way for the soul, or spirit to improve and make progress. Let's say an invidividual has failed in life or died prematurely of natural causes, why he/she couldn't get another shot, or even many more at living? Wouldn't a just God allows us to make amend and be able to access that which we couldn't in previous lives? If we are here right now incarnated in human form, how can we really be sure we haven't been there in the past, on Earth or elsewhere?

I am a believer of Spiritism. I´ve studied a lot of Kardec´s work, so, in my opinion, reincarnation is a reality. I´ve also had recollections of past life memories when I used to go to therapy a few years ago, even though it wasnt really my purpose to do so. 

• Like 2

I used to believe in reincarnation, but now have become a real skeptic in light of all the scientific finds.I can relate to energy never dying but goes on, but all that stuff about  how good we were in a pervious life predicts the future  seems like a bunch of nonsense and to religious for the answers.  

21 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

to add why do millions starve to death in this  world  and a child killed before they even had a chance to lived? is it  really all about past lives ?

There were only about a thousand homo sapians living on the earth  200, 000 years ago,  now there are 6 billion, how do you figure how all these souls came back?

• 2 weeks later...

Genetic memory, a process in which a memory is passed down through the generations without the individual having to experience first-hand the topic of the memory, is probably the most likely explanation. Although genetic memory is not without controversy, studies have shown that some memories can indeed be passed down from our ancestors, and could perhaps explain why savants know things they have clearly not learned; why people have certain phobias or behaviours; and even perhaps why the children referenced earlier in this discussion, have vivid memories of what appear to be past life experiences. Whilst the full impact of genetic memory has yet to be understood or proven, it has, in my opinion, more going for it as a possible explanation for certain memories and behaviours, than does reincarnation.

• Like 3

That's my surmise to  that it is genetic memory that all can tapped into if they have the senses, and the one thing that can proves it is organ donations, where the person receiving the organ can have memories of that person

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-558271/Can-really-transplant-human-soul.html

Edited by docyabut2

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2015 at 4:24 AM, lolaivanna said:

Been learning a bit about the Akashic records lately ,and found it quite interesting, started me thinking about if there is any truth in past lives , just wondering what people think on it !! would love to hear some stories and views on the subject , I for one do not seem to recall anything just a bit of deja-vu !! But that probably just natural and nothing to do with it !! So interesting though !!

I am American living in a Buddhist country for the last five years. My wife is Buddhist so I have learned a great deal about the religion and I have participated in many of it's rituals. These people truly believe in reincarnation and it is a major part of attaining a higher plane of existence.  Buddhists believe that how you live your life today will have a direct effect on your future lives. It is really pretty simple, if you lead a good life where you respect and treat your fellow man with kindness you next life will be better than your current life. If however, you don't live a clean and pure life as defined by the religion your life will be more difficult and terrible than your current life. Everything depends upon your choices alone without any outside control.

Now to answer your question about reincarnation. The Dalai Lama is chosen as a child by picking out personal items of a previous Dalai Lama from many items presented him.The Dalai Lama that has been reincarnated as the child is never the one who most recently past away. This process is based upon the fact when we die we are not immediately reincarnated, in fact they believe it can take hundreds of years or more before your soul will return to earth, this has been the tradition for more than 1000 years. They believe that this is possible because the child is the reincarnataion of a preivous Dalai Lama, many special children are chosen to participate due to their special abilities however, everytime only a single child can pass all the tests. Is this real, they certainly believe it is and who am I to argue with them. I believe that this religion is the only one that relys upon reincarnation to chose its spiritual leader.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

@Manwon Lender, welcome to UM.

I’m a sceptic and do not believe in reincarnation, but I’m interested to know what is meant to be retained when you ‘come back’? Or are you a completely different person just with a new life with a certain level of goodness or badness depending on the last life?

Also a few more questions, from your experience (appreciate your time, Buddhism is much more respectable religion than most IMHO):

Do humans come back as other species, or just humans?

Do other species reincarnate, or just humans?

Also, is there a simple explanation for change in population? (Why it increases? How does a new person come into existence, rather than a reincarnated one? Do you reincarnate over and over for ever? Or does something define when it stops happening?)

I’m not setting up an attack here, just interested in your insight from American to Buddhist country for five years. 

I’m basically an atheist Aussie, for reference.

Cheers! 

Edit: Some text was different font size, please disregard if this doesn’t fix it. It was not intentional and was not meant to place any extra emphasis. :rofl:

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Timothy said:

@Manwon Lender, welcome to UM.

I’m a sceptic and do not believe in reincarnation, but I’m interested to know what is meant to be retained when you ‘come back’? Or are you a completely different person just with a new life with a certain level of goodness or badness depending on the last life?

Also a few more questions, from your experience (appreciate your time, Buddhism is much more respectable religion than most IMHO):

Do humans come back as other species, or just humans?

Do other species reincarnate, or just humans?

Also, is there a simple explanation for change in population? (Why it increases? How does a new person come into existence, rather than a reincarnated one? Do you reincarnate over and over for ever? Or does something define when it stops happening?)

I’m not setting up an attack here, just interested in your insight from American to Buddhist country for five years. 

I’m basically an atheist Aussie, for reference.

Cheers! 

Edit: Some text was different font size, please disregard if this doesn’t fix it. It was not intentional and was not meant to place any extra emphasis. :rofl:

I will try to explain this the best I can, I am not an authority on Buddhism but I do have a working knowledge. I am uncertain how much is retained from your previous self. In Buddhisum the goal is to reach level of enlightenment where you no longer need to come back to this earth like the Buddha did. In Buddhisum after so many attempts to improve without success you can come back as an animal which is a form of punishment, however, I am uncertain how long you stay that way before you get another chance as a human or if that is the end. I do not think it is a question of goodness or badness, I think it more of a question of how you choose to live your life. Everyone who practices this religion has a moral compass that is outlined in the teachings of the religion, just like any other religion, so it comes down to if you choose to follow the teaching or not. 

You asked do animals reincarnate, this is a part of the religion I know nothing about. Another aspect of the religion that is beyond my level of knowledge is if all births are reincarnated souls or are some souls  are new souls that are not reincarnated. I will have to check this out, next time we go to the Temple I will ask a Monk, that way the answer will  from come from the horses mouth. 

Hope this helps, I can only give information I an familar with I certainly do not have all the answers.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender

32 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I will try to explain this the best I can, I am not an authority on Buddhism but I do have a working knowledge.

There are many, many different sects of Buddhism some syncretized with the local belief. My sect is influenced by both the teachings of Lao the Child (Taoism) and Shintoism. Many of us believe you join the Living Universe and become part of it. You don't keep reincarnating.

If you knew anything about Buddhism you would know the "Akashic  Records" is pure Theosophist and Edgar Cayce follower crap. It's neither Buddhism or Hinduism.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

If you knew anything about Buddhism you would know the "Akashic  Records" is pure Theosophist and Edgar Cayce follower crap. It's neither Buddhism or Hinduism.  

Odd then as it is a Sanskrit word. From Dictionary.Com

akasha

[ ah-kah-shuh ]SHOW IPA
EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGIN

noun

(in the philosophies of India) the ether, regarded as including material and nonmaterial entities in a common medium.

Origin of akasha

From the Sanskrit word ākās̄́a

2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

But it has nothing to do with a invisible "record". 

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Let me give you a real Asian education. It means the same as Tao and Musubi.  The "ether of energy". 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

There are many, many different sects of Buddhism some syncretized with the local belief. My sect is influenced by both the teachings of Lao the Child (Taoism) and Shintoism. Many of us believe you join the Living Universe and become part of it. You don't keep reincarnating.

I certainly understand that the different sects of Buddhisum do not agree about the subject of reincarnation. Who is correct I do not claim to know, I will not praise or discredit any of the different beliefs, I will however choose the middle path and follow my belief. This is the path that Buddha would have us follow and this is also what Karma demands.

peace

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Let me give you a real Asian education. It means the same as Tao and Musubi.  The "ether of energy". 

Well, let me return the education. Here is an article from the 'Hinduism and Sanatan Dharma' website on Akash that includes talk of Akashic Records

Edited by papageorge1

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

akasha

[ ah-kah-shuh ]SHOW IPA
EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGIN

noun

(in the philosophies of India) the ether, regarded as including material and nonmaterial entities in a common medium.

Origin of akasha

From the Sanskrit word ākās̄́a

There are many Sanskrit words used in the Buddhist religion, this most likely occurred due to the location where  the Buddhist and Hindu religions began.

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

There are many Sanskrit words used in the Buddhist religion, this most likely occurred due to the location where  the Buddhist and Hindu religions began.

Yep

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Well, let me return the education. Here is an article from the 'Hinduism and Sanatan Dharma' website on Akash that includes talk of Akashic Records

Took you long enough.....

I don't see any historically documented references from real Sanskit writings.  Just Newage stuff. Could you give me a real Hindu reference?

Nostradamus claimed to have gained access to the Akasha, using methods derived from the Greek oracles, Christian and Sufi mysticism, and the Kabbalah. Other individuals who claim to have consciously used the Akashic Records include: Charles Webster Leadbeater, Annie Besant, Alice Bailey, Samael Aun Weor, William Lilly, Manly P. Hall, Lilian Treemont, Dion Fortune, George Hunt Williamson, Rudolf Steiner, Max Heindel and Edgar Cayce amongst others.

and,,,,,,,,,Nostradamus claimed no such thing so this link is out right lying. Don't see any Gurus named either.  

Amerikahito Ajia hito wa karera  ga watashi o kyoiku ****e iru to omou?

Edited by Piney