Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Clues to Ceres' Bright Spots and Origins

Waspie_Dwarf

New Clues to Ceres' Bright Spots and Origins

Ceres reveals some of its well-kept secrets in two new studies in the journal Nature, thanks to data from NASA's Dawn spacecraft. They include highly anticipated insights about mysterious bright features found all over the dwarf planet's surface.

In one study, scientists identify this bright material as a kind of salt. The second study suggests the detection of ammonia-rich clays, raising questions about how Ceres formed.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 4

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• highdesert50

• Merc14

• Twin

Ceres Animation Showcases Bright Spots

Dwarf planet Ceres is shown in these false-color renderings, which highlight differences in surface materials. Images from NASA’s Dawn spacecraft were used to create a movie of Ceres rotating, followed by a flyover view of Occator Crater, home of Ceres’ brightest area.

Credit: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Source: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory - YouTube Channel

Interesting, I was unaware that Ceres is essentially black hence the contrasts. Makes the technology and development expertise all the more impressive.

This is a plausible theory but, I haven't read that water ice has actually been detected. I know there are lots of ices; however, I'm probably not alone in jumping to that conclusion when you just say "ice".

Edited by Twin